Rush In Rio Review

artist: rush date: 07/07/2008 category: dvd
rush: Rush In Rio
Released: October 21, 2003
Taped in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, on the final night of Rush's 2002 Vapor Trails tour, this double-disc set finds Canada's famous power trio giving its all for 40,000 of the most rabid Rush fans ever gathered under one sky.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.5
 8.9
 9.9
 7.8
reviews (2) 12 comments vote for this dvd:
Rush In Rio Reviewed by: PatrickJR, on april 24, 2006

Sound: I am a very big Rush Fan and when I listened to a few songs of this and one my friends house, I bought it the next day. I thought the sound was great. This was the last stop on the tour. Rio De Janeiro. On disc two "The Boys In Brazil." They tell us they just barely got there. It was a huge thunderstorm when the landed, and they really didn't the show would go ahead. But with now sound check at all. They just barely got to the stadium. Just in time to pick up there instruments and start Tom Sawyer! You could really tell the fans were into the concert when they were singing YYZ. // 10

Content: The DVD Is the live concert in Rio De Janeiro. All the songs were played live. Disc two is "The Boys In Brazil." This is an hour of footage of The Boys In Brazil doing whatever they were doing. Pretty cool to watch. It gives you an impression of what the guys are really like. The song list to this concert was just incredible. To me it was like a greatest hits show. The DVD also has Easter Eggs. If you enter the right code you get the video from 1975 "Anthem." This is very sweet. Also on disc two you get MC Myltiangle of YYZ, O Baterista, La Villa Strangiato. The disc content was awesome! // 10

Production Quality: I thought the production quality was superb, considering they never had any check or anything. Also the concert was just after a massive thunderstorm so a lot of stuff was wet. But without any flaws, the video, sound and overall Production quality I thought was excellent. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't like comparing things. But I do think this is better then a lot of other DVDs. I thought the video of Anthem, was very impressive. A very cool Easter Egg. I loved everything about it, there was nothing really that I hated. If I lost this DVD, I would pay no more then 10 bucks to get it back. // 10

Rush In Rio Reviewed by: RuShRoCkS!, on july 07, 2008

Sound: The reason I bought this awesome thing was because my friend had it and showed me Tom Sawyer. I thought it was just magical! I'm not gonna spend too much time just talking as I'm gonna go through each song. 01. Tom Sawyer - what a great opener! This song was made to Start any show! I like how his voice differs on different parts. 02. Distant Early Warning - this isn't my favorate song but it's preformed well. I do love the G. solo on this one. 03. New World Man - this is another good "live" song. I like the ending (the song fades out in the studio version so they have to think up an ending). 04. Roll The Bones - Alex's guitar looks really cool here. But I'm not a big fan of this song so I don't watch it that much. 05. Earthshine - this is a nice heavey song. This was one of their newer ones preformed that night. 06. YYZ - I hear this song every were I go, so hearing it here dosen't do anything for me. 07. The Pass - this is such a deep (but good) song! It's one of my favorates, but then again I enjoy every song on Presto! 08. Bravado - another favorate of mine. I think it sounds better live because Alex dose that extra solo at the end! Great Song! 09. The Big Money - Geddy is jumping off walls here! Just watch it! But it seems like this is the only popular song off of Power Windows? It's a good song, just a little over rated. 10. The Trees - this is a good song. It's not something I'd die for though. 11. Freewill - I also enjoy this song. Neil Peart is doing all those cool spinny things with his drum sticks a the beggining. Geddy Lee is amazing with his solo! He speads it up when he plays it live! 12. Closer To The Heart - another song I here too much. I don't even think it's that great of a song? 13. Natural Science - this is my 3rd favorate Rush Song! I love it! They play my favorate part twice! In the studio version they only play that part once! 14. Intermission 15. One Little Victory - I like the dragon! But this song dose get a little annoying. Still Neil can drum! 16. Driven - I like this song! It's also better live because Geddy extends his solo! Good. 17. Ghost Rider - a good kind of "chill" song. I don't know? that's what it's means to me. 18. Secret Touch - there catching up on their new songs from Vapor Trails. I like this song. 19. Dreamline - this is my favorate song off of Roll the Bones. I like the light show. Alex also extends his solo on this one. This song shows, Rush is awesome! 20. Red Sector A - an all synth song! I like this one a lot. I think it would have been cooler if they didn't change the red strobe lights to green. Hence the name "Red" Sector A! 21. Leave That Thing Alone - this song is funny because three guys drest up like "classic" Rush, came on stage and put some cloaths in those dryers on the side of the stage. Good instermental! 22. O Baterista - Neil Peart is a god! 23. Resist - this song is so much better acustic. I think the studio version sucks! It means so much more played acustic and slowed down! It also gives Neil a break from his solo. 24. 2112 - this would be cool if they played the whole song! I don't like it cause they only play the first two parts! It needs to be played whole! 25. Limelight - good, but Geddy's voice keeps craking. That kind of ruined it for me. 26. La Villa Strangiato - Alex is so wierd, but this made me laugh!! Dang! This was funny! But he can't sing (a joke if you've seen it). 27. Spirit Of Radio - a great closer! Really good preformed live! Rush is awesome! Encore: 28. By-Tor And The Snow Dog - bringing back an exilent song! The movie is hilarious! 29. Cygnus X-1 - another great classic! They are all amazing! 30. Working Man - this was the first Rush song I heard. It's great! Best way to end a show (and tour). Alex Lifeson is great. // 10

Content: I just told you about every song so there is not much to say. But, if you get the 2-Disc set, you get a documentary, MX multiangle on three songs, and two movies: The By-Tor movie and a live preformance of Anthem! I awalys enjoy documentarys and stuff like that! // 10

Production Quality: All in all, it was Rush's last preformance on the Vapor Trails Tour, so considering there was no camera test, no sound test, and it was shot in the middle of a tropical storm, it's 100%! I don't know how thy did it, but I've never seen anything better! // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, all of it's great! I do wish that they played Mission or The Analog Kid. Those being my top two Rush songs ever. But they did play Natural Science! It is a must have for any Rush fan. I actuly did lose it at one point. But then I found it! If it were stolen and I couldn't get it back I don't think I'd buy it again, but that's just cause I don't feel like spending another 30 bucks on it. But if I knew who did steal it, I would become a seacret agent and track him down and torture him untill he gave it back, the scoundral! // 10

More Rush reviews rating latest review
+ R30 9 01/19/2009