Live At The Astoria London Review

artist: steve vai date: 08/18/2007 category: dvd
steve vai: Live At The Astoria London
Released: December 9, 2003
On his first ever full-length concert DVD, the double-disc Live At The Astoria, Vai proves to still be quite a showman ? whether it be going through a variety of costume changes, or striking rock god poses.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 8.3
 9.4
 9.8
reviews (4) 12 comments vote for this dvd:
Live At The Astoria London Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2005

Sound: This DVD has good live quality sound, and I must say it is very comparable to actually going to one of his gigs. // 8

Content: Live At The Astoria has a good mix of the older favourites - For The Love Of God, Bad Horsie, Blue Powder etc. and later tracks such as the brilliant 'Giant Balls Of Gold' and 'Whispering A Prayer'. If your a Billy Sheehan fan your in luck, and theres a bit of muckin' about backstage in the bonus features. Funny guys. Track list: 01. Shyboy 02. Giant Balls Of Gold 03. Erotic Nightmares 04. Blood And Glory 05. Dave-s Party Piece 06. Blue Powder 07. The Crying Machine 08. The Animal 09. Bangkok 10. Tony-s Solo 11. Bad Horsie 12. Chameleon 13. Down Deep Into The Pain 14. Fire 15. Little Wing 16. Whispering A Prayer 17. Incantation (with drum solo) 18. Jibboom 19. For The Love Of God 20. Liberty 21. The Attitude Song. // 8

Production Quality: It's all good. // 8

Overall Impression: Anyone who is interested in buying this dvd has nothing to worry about, its the next best thing to going to a concert. The track listings really good although there are others I would have liked to have heard, but we can all be pleased. // 8

Live At The Astoria London Reviewed by: Shreddy, on july 18, 2005

Sound: This DVD is a great collection of songs spanning most of Vai's career. The sound quiality is very good, and the song selection is almost perfect, there is only one or two songs that I wish he had incorperated into it. Steve's virtuosity is displayed in the DVD with his stunning skills. Not only is his playing perfect, but the playing of the others in his band. // 10

Content: This DVD has a great selection of songs, but the bonus DVD really doesn't have much in it. That's okay since the other DVD in the two DVD set is very good. // 10

Production Quality: The production and photgraphy in the DVD is exceptional. I couldn't ask for more perfection, it seems like a lot of time went into the making of this, and the vibe from the artists playing was excelent. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing is awesome! I was very impressed not only by Vai's speed, but by his meledic playing and stage presense. He puts up quite a show in the DVD and seems very excited, which is good. I don't hate anything about this DVD, and I encourage others to buy it. If I lost this DVD, I would go try to find it, if it were stolen, I owuld steal it back. // 10

Live At The Astoria London Reviewed by: Bkkkk, on september 02, 2005

Sound: The sound on this DVD is simply amazing the quality and with the right system it almost feels like you're there. Vai knows how to choose his band mates, from the legendary bass player Billy Sheehan, to the great multi-talented guitar and piano player Tony MacAlpine, Virgil on drums is an absolute beast and Dave Weiner even though a new face in rock is a great guitar player and musician. All the songs are performed perfectly with amazing sense of "feeling" and flawless technique. // 10

Content: This is a live concert DVD filmed during the Ultra Zone Tour, it was filmed at the Astoria in London. What I liked most about this DVD was the fact that Vai lets every musician in his band have a solo, which is interesting when you discover the individual sounds of each part of this group. The songs are a mixture of old and new, weird and good old rocky stuff with the famous Vai sound. Besides his solo songs, Vai also plays Little Wing and Fire by Hendrix, Shy Boy is the opening track and They also perform the song Chameleon from Billy Sheehans solo record. At the end of the concert Vai invites Eric Sardinas to play The Attitude song, the final jam is superb and a great way to end the Concert. The DVD also includes a tour of the backstage with Dave Weiner, where he shows some interesting facts about the backstage and life on the road, also there are some comical bits with Billy and his technitian. Great stuff. // 10

Production Quality: The only complain I have about this DVD is the quality of the camera-man, sometimes there are wierd angles and shots out of focus, other times a certain member of the group is playing a solo and the camera man focuses on someone else. There's a lot of weird transitions and colour overlays used to fit the songs and their mood, quite interesting however it can be quite irritating at times. The sound however is superb so is the lighting and the general stage setting. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a must have DVD for any Vai fan, you get to see and hear the man himself. It really shows what Steve Vai and his band try to do, the best they can do, and believe me they have succeseded big time with this concert DVD. Besides the sometimes irritaing camera shots, this DVD is absolutely fantastic, the sound, lighting, songs, musicians, clothing and the extra features. Great. // 10

Live At The Astoria London Reviewed by: sword shredder, on august 18, 2007

Sound: The band sounds great. The 3 guitars mix together perfectly; Steve Vais' playing style is astounding, Tony Macalpine is quite good, but seems sloppy to me. I've heard he's a very good guitarist so it's probably because he's playing someone else's music, not his. Dave Weiner is great, but we don't see much of his 'skills', apart from 2 solos and an intro, as he's the rhythm guitarist (he has a CD out now, I need to check it out). Billy sheehan is an 'amazing' bass player, but sometimes it seems he's just playing as fast as he can in chromatics and the minor scale this is probably because it would be impossible for him; he doesn't have anyone to follow, no-one else plays like that! (Don't quote me on that). I don't know much about drums, but the drum solo was fine. // 9

Content: This is a live double-DVD set; first disk has a ton of songs, WITH commentary aswell from all the band members (apart from the drummer). The second disk has the special features, which could have been better, but still great. The set list has ALL of my favorite songs, apart from a few (eg; Tender Surrender, Die To Live). Actually I think they are my favorite songs BECAUSE they are on this DVD! The only song I have a problem is, is with 'For The Love Of God'. Can't you hear how out of tune the guitar sounds Steve? I should have written 'For the love of God, Steve, 'but I didn't. Or did I just do it? Nevermind. // 9

Production Quality: Steve Vai edited this himself, so prepare yourself for loads of effects! Most of them are fantastic, so don't worry! Everyone seems to have a problem with the camera angles, but it only annoys me on a few occasions. With most other live DVDs, you rarely get to see the players fingers unless during a solo, but this is the first instrumental DVD I've bought, so there could be a world of non-stop fret-fingers out there for me to discover! There is a problem with all of these DVDs; halfway through 'Deep Down Into The Pain', there's a pause when the DVDs laser has to switch direction. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the best live DVD I own, apart from maybe Van Halens 'Live Without A Net, which I do not own. The most impressive thing on this DVD. I started thinking of songs, and a few minutes later I had came up with most of the songs! So I won't bother. If this was stolen/lost, I would buy it again. I didn't let my friend borrow this, he had to make do with a G3 DVD. // 9

More Steve Vai reviews rating latest review