Live At The Palace 2008 Review

three days grace: Live At The Palace 2008
Released: Aug 19, 2008
Genre: Post-Grunge
Label: Zomba Label Group
Live at The Palace 2008 is the first DVD release from Post-Grunge band Three Days Grace. Three Days Grace has dedicated this DVD, in loving memory, to their manager and friend Stuart Sobol.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 10
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this dvd:
Live At The Palace 2008 Reviewed by: DarkLordArthur, on march 06, 2009

Sound: Well, first of all, I'll say I like Three Days Grace a lot, but in this review I'll try to be as objective as possible. I personally think Three Days Grace is awesome. Anyway, I've always known they aren't very good live. Adam Gontier seems to be a very good vocalist, but when it comes to singing live, he doesn't sound as good as you would expect from what you hear in the CDs; some say it is because he can't really sing, others say it is because he somkes and others say it is because he pulls his voice to the limit at the start and he's very tired at the end. I really don't know why but, whichever the reason may be, the truth is that he isn't very good live. The other musicians in the band (Barry Stock, Neil Sanderson and Brad Walst) are great live, so the only "problem" live would be the vocals. Anyway, in this DVD Adam proves that he can sing very well! Not only very well, but in some songs even better than in the studio. So for all of us who though he couldn't sing live, this is a shut-your-mouth concert. Adam reaches every note, and does every scream on every song, and it sounds awesome, he does an awesome job at this concert. So the whole DVD becomes a very pleasant experience to watch and to listen. I really enjoyed every song on this Live DVD. // 10

Content: This DVD contains a live performance of Three Days Grace on March 21, 2008 at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan. It also includes exclusive behind-the-scene footage featuring members of the band. The songs included in the DVD are: 1.Animal I Have Become: nice song to start, the bass and drums intro really turns up the crowd. The instrumental apartment was awesome. The vocals were awesome too. Adam interacted a lot with the crowd, who sang along with him almost the whole song. 2.Pain: cool song, nice vocals and nice music, but what's more interesting here are Neil's backing vocals. You know, he's a drummer, so it's not that easy to sing while he's playing, but he does it very well and adds that final touch to the vocals department that make this song special. Also the scream at the end is very cool and perfectly performed by Adam. 3.Just Like You: these song is totally badass, Adam introduces it saying -"This song's about being told how to live your life, and being told what you're supposed to do with your life, until you've had(not sure about had) enough for yourself in the end and you say: f--k you! I'll live my life the way I want to." It goes all good, nice vocals and a crazy crowd-surfer. 4.Let It Die: Adam starts kinda weak-sounding, but he fixes it inmediately and the song continues to go up and up. 5.Wake Up: the clean electric guitar doesn't sound as deep as the acoustic guitar on the original song, but it's well performed by Barry. At this song, I noticed that you can barely hear Adam's guitar. Some mistakes here and there by Brad I think, but I can't really tell. 6.I Hate Everything About You: this song has a powerfull bass, again perfectly performed by Bead, here you can hear better both guitars and Adam's voice is still shinning and sounding cool. He lets the crowd sing a whole chorus, and the crowd responds very well. 7.Rooster (Alice In Chains cover): I'll be honest, I like Alice in Chains, but I've never heard this song before. Adam appears seated with his acoustic guitar and introduces the song to the crowd. After listening to the original song, I think Adam made a simple, yet amazing cover. He makes it almost sound like he wrote it himself. This cover is softer than the original song, but I think it is also deeper, it really touches you. 8.Riot: it starts with a badass drums intro, followed by a badass guitar intro, and then the song starts as it is. Backing vocals are kinda lame in this song, but that's just my opinion. Vocals are well performed, but in this song what really shines is the guitar, at the bridge of the song, you can see Barry doing his part from upside the fretboard; this part is where the special effects (lights and fire) go crazy, and so does the crowd. Then comes the chorus/outro, at the end Adam screams amazingly the last "Lets' start a riot" and the outro goes extremely cool with Brad, Neil and Barry going crazy and Adam "shooting" people with his guitar. 9.Get Out Alive: well, it starts very calmed, and it goes like that untill the middle of the song when the volume goes up and the drums start out loud. Althought I like this song a lot, it is not a very impressive song for a live show. But the vocals go all good, and the backing vocals are awesome in this song. 10.Never Too Late: obviously this song means a lot to Adam, and he shows that when he introduces this song. Like I said on Wake Up, the clean electric guitar doesn't sound as deep as the acoustic guitar, but it still sounds good. The crowd seems to love the song as they sing every part of it. Pefect Performance. 11.Scared: It starts very cool, the bass sounds powerfull, the drums are loud, but the guitar has some mistakes here and there. Vocals are good, he focuses more on turning the people on instead of singing the song prefectly. At the middle, they extended the bridge to play around with the crowd; the lights go down, Adam grabs a reflector and he starts pointing it to the crowd so they start "making some noise". The end is very ass-kicking. 12.Gone Forever: no intro, it just starts with the vocals, but it starts right and in tune. Other than that, perfect performance, but that's it. 13.Home (Includes part of Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter): nice intro, kinda creepy & cool at the same time, but they always do it live. I've heard this song live before, and it always used to get messed up at the vocals, but here the vocals were just awesome. The crowd went crazy with this song, lots of crowd surfers. Then at the middle of the song they start Hey Man, Nice Shot, it goes fused with Home as a bridge. I personally think TDG's version is better than Filter's. But that's just an opinion. Then it comes back to Home with Adam screaming "I'm better off alone!" and Home keeps going and it ends with Adam screamig and everybody going crazy. And that's all the concert. It was pretty awesome. Wish I was there. // 9

Production Quality: I don't know a lot about production, but if a live DVD can keep me watchig without getting bored, I'd say it's well preoduced. And since I never get bored with this DVD, no matter how many times I watch it, I'll say it is wery well produced. Nice camera angles, nice changes of cameras, everything was nice. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this was a very good performance and a very enjoyable DVD. I can watch it over and over without getting bored. I like Three Days Grace very much, and I felt very disappointed when I saw some videos at Youtube of them live, but with this DVD I feel very happy and relieved that they give awesome live performances now. It is a must-watch for every TDG fan. And even if you are not a fan I'm sure you'll enjoy it. // 10

More Three Days Grace reviews rating latest review