AL-2000 627 Review

manufacturer: Agile date: 05/17/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Agile: AL-2000 627
If you're looking for a cheaper baritone, go with Agile! The sound on this guitar tuned to standard was extremely bright, brighter than the G-310 with its bolt on neck, which it to be expected from the 27" scale length.
 4.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
AL-2000 627 Reviewed by: WilhelmTGFRyan, on may 17, 2013

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: - Single cutaway solid Mahogany arch top body - Extended 27" scale length helps improve string tension or allows for lowing tunings - High quality wax potted ceramic humbucker pickups for improved sound - Full body and neck binding - Set-in Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard - 22 Jumbo 2.7mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play - Grover Die Cast tuners - Two volume & two tone controls and a 3-way pickup selector switch help you find your sound - Stop-Bar tailpiece transfers string vibration to the body of the guitar and produces superior sustain - Black Flame finish - Made in Korea - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16" - Neck Taper is 21.5 mm at the 1st fret and 23.5 mm at the 12th fret - Thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16" - Overall length, including the strap button: 40"; Scale length: 27" - Bridge pole spacing is 3", and the Tail piece pole spacing is 3 1/4" - Width at the widest point: 13" - Body thickness 2" at edge - Actual Weight is only 10 lbs - Ceramic pickup specifications: Magnet: Ceramic D.C Ohm(K); Neck - 7.60; Bridge - 8.40; Inductance: Neck - 4.66; Bridge - 5.20 // 9

Sound: I play on a Peavey Ultra Plus guitar head running into a Hartke guitar cab. For comparison's sake, I've tried a Gibson SG Special 2, a Gibson SG Faded, a Gibson Melody Maker Explorer, Epiphone Korina Explorer and an Epiphone G-310 on this same amp. The sound on this guitar tuned to standard was extremely bright, brighter than the G-310 with its bolt on neck, which it to be expected from the 27" scale length. The pickups are on par with the pickups I've tried on most Epiphone Les Pauls. This guitar being a baritone-scaled guitar is meant to be tuned down, I'm a huge Coheed fan, so I have it in B Standard (Tuned B to B). There is very little wobble, the bridge pickup sounds pretty damn good with some gain, and does it's job with cleans. The neck however doesn't provide much with the low-tunings, which is expected as the fatness of the neck position simply doesn't fit the low tunings. Also as expected with the low-tunings is the low sustain. In the future, I'd like to get a high output pickup to improve the sound a bit in the bridge, as I feel more output would better fit the low tunings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, this thing was perfectly in tune. The action was suitably low, the pickups were where you'd expect, the hardware was ideal, the tuners are holding pretty well. I found one flaw in the finish on the side of the guitar, though this doesn't bother me in the slightest. Grover tuners surprised the heck out of me for such a low-priced guitar! Also, this guitar's playability is grand! The neck is better than my Epiphones, and close or on-par with low-end Gibsons, it's a hell of a value in my opinion! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems solid, it's meant for low tunings, and I primarily play in standard, so this would be a side guitar, not needing of a backup anyway. I'd probably trust it to not fail on me anyway. This thing really does feel WAY more expensive than it is, I would totally buy another Agile after this, it's really a great value, especially if you want a cheaper Baritone guitar, since they're so niche! The only thing I can complain about are the strap buttons, like always, with every guitar I've touched, I don't feel like I can trust them to hold a strap without some kind of locking system. I wish manufactures would all start building their guitars with these stock. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing a mixture of Prog-rock and Punk, I can say this will be great for writing heavier music. It's on par with my Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer in terms of playability, (for a lower price I might add!) and simply is a great guitar. The only other Baritone I've had the opportunity to play was one of the PRS SE baritones at a Guitar Center, the SE is a little different for sure, and felt damn good, but I feel that the Agile is nearly as good, or on par with it, and provided a much much better value. If you're looking for a cheaper baritone, go with Agile! If you want a nice LP-copy, I imaging the AL-3000s would be superb! // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014