AL-2000 Gold Hardwire Review

9.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
AL-2000 Gold Hardwire Reviewed by: bullseyestrat, on august 05, 2010

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

Features: I'm not sure on the year but judging from the serial number its possibly a 2003 from Korea. It has 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard. It also features pearloid trapezoid inlays with gold hardware. The body is carved les paul-style mahogany with a set in maple neck. The bridge is a tune-o-matic paired with Grover 18-1 tuners. For electronics the AL2000 features 2 Gold-covered Ceramic humbuckers, master volume and tone for each pickup, and a 3-way toggle switch. Its basically a Les Paul Copy done rather well. // 9

Sound: When I first played the Agile it sounded fizzy and inarticulate through my tube amps coupled with a Boss SD1 and Super Chrous(Fender Hotrod Deluxe and Peavey VTM60 halfstack). Along with being rather noisy at high volumes. Since the guitar itself was pretty well crafted and solid I figure the pickups were lousy. So I went the Vintage tone route and installed some Seymour Duncan 59's. The tone change was literally night and day. It sounded much clear, warmer, and beefy. Basically what a passive Les Paul should sound like. I play various types of rock, metal, and blues and with the pickup change it was perfect for my needs at home or live. So I would only recommend the stock configuration if you're just practicing with a digital amp or just at low volumes. If you want this guitar as a gigging or a backup, a pickup swap does wonders. So I'll give this round a 9 for what it can potentially do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was actually setup pretty well from the factory. It had some sort of 10-46 strings installed and it was playable after some slight tuning. I'm not a fan of thinner strings on a Les Paul style guitar so I installed some GHS TNT strings which are 10-52 gauge and did some adjustments. Loosened the truss rod a bit and adjusted the action at the bridge. The only complaint I have is that the knobs for the potentiometers feel rather cheap. Very minor though. This one gets a 9 from me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I stated in the sound portion, it would only be a good live guitar if the pickups are upgraded. Otherwise you'd have a noisy mushy Les Paul copy. I planned on using this guitar as a backup to my already modified Epiphone Les Paul Standard but I've found myself using this one more. From what I remember the strap buttons were good but I like to switch all my guitars to Dunlop Straplocks. The hardware is very solid on these guitars. I mean its pretty hard to screw up a Les Paul style guitar. The designs on them are very straightforward and solid either way its made. But since I've bought this guitar (Oct 09) I've dropped and abused it and everything is still intact. Even manages to stay in tune after a drop. I don't see this guitar fading away anytime soon. Definitely a 10 in my book. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing over 7 years now and I've accumulated over 20 guitars and various amps and effects. With a pickup swap the Agile AL2000 suits my music style perfectly tonewise and feel wise. If it were lost or stolen I would probably beat the thief or just buy a new Agile since they're very affordable. I like the detail to construction, feel, inotation, tone(after swap), price, and the looks of it. Only complaints are that the knobs are a bit cheap feeling and the stock pickups aren't very good. Now as many have said Agile's are very well crafted guitars. Especially for $225 plus shipping. Now it won't replace a $1000+ Gibson Les Paul but it definitely surpasses Epiphone LP Standard models in my honest opinion. Atleast for this AL2000. I plan on buying one of their higher end models later this year since I'm very satisfied with this guitar and I'm very curious to see what their higher end models offer. Now in conclusion this guitar is perfect for anyone looking for a nice cheap Les Paul copy. Ranging from a beginners Les Paul to the pros backup with a pickup swap. You really can't go wrong with this guitar for the price and craftsmanship. // 9

AL-2000 Gold Hardwire Reviewed by: XanderDylan, on october 14, 2010

Purchased from: Rondomusic

Features: I purchased the AL2000 White/Chrome model not the black/gold. Still same guitar just different appearance. I was gifted this in 2009 and I was in love at first sight. It includes 22 Jumbo 2.7mm frets on a Rosewood fretboard, set Maple neck, full-body binding, Grover tuners, solid Mahogany body, stop-bar tailpiece, wax potted humbuckers (which sound sweet!), 4 controls (2 volume, 2 tone), Korea made, and is about 10lbs. The price alone was a selling point. Even though there were no included accessories but it was no big deal. // 9

Sound: This guitar has an amazing tone to it. It fits all my music needs and can play many various styles. For clean, I'll play it with a little chorus with reverb and for a rougher sound, it sounds great with full or little distortion. I use Guitar Rig 4 for all my amps as the amps I have just don't cut it. This guitar isn't noisy at all unless you are throwing tons of effects and distortion on it and then you'll have a little fuzz but hat's common in all guitars. The guitar gives a very full sound and in my opinion, is better than any Epiphone guitar on the market. Many say it is comparable to a Gibson and I would have to agree. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this, it just needed tuned a little and it was perfect. No flaws caught my eye and still have not. I didn't have to bother about setting up intonation or action because I believed it was perfect for me where it was at. Not too high and not too low to cause buzzing. Pickups were adjusted so the back end on the treble pick up was raised a bit. Rhythm pickup was flat but still sounds good to me. I didn't like the color of the pick-guard so I bought a black one to replace it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is the only guitar I feel trustworthy enough to play live out of the 8 other guitars I have. The hardware included sounds, looks, and feels great and I believe should last for quite a while. I replaced the strap buttons with Strap-Locks and they work great. The originals were fine the way they were I just didn't want to take the chance of having the strap break free. The finish on this is amazing and after a year, I haven't noticed anything different. // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to play various styles of music from Cleaner or Jazzy tones, classical music as well as rock and a little metal (not too heavy). I've been playing for about 3 years now and I have 8 other guitars. This buy far takes the cake for the best guitar I have owned so far and destroys my two Epiphones (SG, Les Paul). If anything ever happened to this guitar, I would for sure, buy another one, if not, more than just one since the price is amazing. The tone, weight, quality of the build are all just simply amazing and seems too good to be true for $200. I would love to get a Gibson to compare with one of these Agile AL's because I bet there isn't much of a difference other than price and weight. Even though the name isn't that popular, the quality of everything on this guitar is simply, awesome and better than big name companies in my opinion. // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014