AL-2500 Review

manufacturer: Agile date: 05/21/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Agile: AL-2500
For the price you absolutely won't find a better LP knockoff after trying numerous models to include Epiphone. This guitar suites any style of play.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.6
 7.7
 8.8
 6.6
reviews (8) pictures (4) 17 comments vote for this gear:
AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2005

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com (New Jersey)

Features: This is a Les Paul clone; not sure of year, but made in Korea. Mine is the 2500 model (lowest priced Agile has) with a fixed neck and amber quilted top finish. The pickups are humbuckers; which are upgraded to Alnico for higher models. Grover tuners, and no accessories were included, although their bags and cases are priced right. The only thing I don't like is that its one heavy guitar. They say 10lbs, but it feels even heavier. Oh well, even LPs are heavy. // 6

Sound: I play all styles and use a Korg AXG1 effects box and small Ibanez amp. I practice with headphones for "true sound". The sound is amazing, especially when compares to an Epiphone, which, in my opinion, it blows away (especially price). I've not compared to an actual Les Paul, but I'm dying to. This guitar suites any style of play. I prefer the rhythm setting for a fuller sound, but this is individual preference. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was not bad, but I had to adjust intonations; primarily on lower E string height was average, with no buzz, though I may try to lower a bit. Let's talk about craftsmanship, because that's where this guitar takes off. I went over this thing with a fine tooth comb to include finish, chrome, general assembly, and everything else I could think of: what I found was absolutely not one scratch, void, chip, glue screwup, or anything else. It looks like the finish of a $1000 instrument. I'm still telling my buddies about that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been pretty careful with the guitar, so I'm not sure about its wear and tear factor, but it looks and feels solid. The finish seems tough and not about to wear. Strap buttons are fine, though I may Switch to locks. I had a knob fall off, but they all do that so I'm not concerned. I'm replacing them with Fender chrome with set screws. // 8

Overall Impression: I've not been playing too long (about 5 years), but of the many guitars I've played, this is my hands down favorite. My favorite styles are the Les Paul and the Fender Telecaster. For the price you absolutely won't find a better LP knockoff after trying numerous models to include Epiphone. I chose the Agile primarily for price, but am happy to recommend it for its play and crafsmanship as well. You simply can't go wrong. My overall impression is excellent. Now if Agile only made Telecasters. // 10

AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2005

Features: 2005 Agile 2000, cherry sunburst, flamed maple top, made in Korea. The dimensions, controls, scale are all standard Les Paul, but it has Grover tuners, albeit only 12:1 ratio. Fretboard is very similar to Epi Les Pauls, but the neck is not as thick (deep), which in my opinion makes it more playable. Still has a solid feel to it, though. And this guitar is dense and heavy, really heavy compared to my strats. But that's a Les Paul, and the resulting sustain is wonderful. // 8

Sound: Sound is clean and Vintage, in a very good way. The pickups are great, especially at this price point. I have a Duncan 59 on another guitar and these things sound very similar. They're slightly higher output, and a little bass heavier, so as a result not as crisp in the bass compared to the Duncan. But you have to do a back to back comparison to hear much difference. I'm trying to find out if I can buy another set for a project guitar, I like them that much. I mostly do home recording through similated amps and effects, but have a small Marshall amp also that does a reasonable simulation of it's big brothers. Plug this thing into that Marshall and it's an instant 30 year flashback, but again, in a good way. The original '59 LP was a classic because of it's versatility. This thing does a good job of replicating that functionality. It even sounds good as a rythme guitar with both pickups selected. Not even all the real Gibson LPs can make that claim. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: In my opinion the best oriental import guitars right now come from China. Fit and finish is amazing on those instruments. Unfortunately their prices are going up as a result. But this Korean make is still pretty impressive, and still cheap. Factory set-up was not perfect, but not bad. Frets are very nicely dressed. That gets high marks in my book. There are some imperfections, of course, and they aren't hard to find. Slight coloration differences in finish show up on the light colored binding, not bad though. The hardware is not spectacular but it is acceptable or easily replaced and it was all mounted appropriately. My biggest concern, though, is the quality of the woods used. For $200 there have to be compromises and this is the biggest one I've found. The body truly is solid mahogany, but the grain swirls all over the place. This mahogany was taken from around the base of a large branch (I know wood), and in places on the edge of the guitar the grain actually runs perpendicular to the face of the guitar. The "cherry" finish is deep enough that these flaws don't jump out at you, but they are there, and they are definitely a construction flaw. And on that note; Since the neck is maple on this guitar (not mahogany) when they painted it with the translucent red used on the mahogany body the resulting color is different. It's more orange-ish red than red. Not a terrible match, but an obvious color contrast going from neck to body. Now the good news: the maple cap on the arched top is amazing. nicely bookmatched, and it really has a nice arch to it. The finish is impeccible, and while it's listed as "B grade" maple, the grain looks very good. I got the cherry sunburst with flamed maple top. Between that, the trapeziod inlays on the neck, and the cream colored hardware (all substantial and solid), it's easy to imagine you're holding a priceless '59 Les Paul. Of course the horn around the cutout of Agile's doesn't extend as far or have the point of a real LP, and the headstock is different. But from a few feet away, it's eerie how similar this guitar is to that beautiful Vintage '59. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Finish is very good, but long term durability will depend on how well the cheaper quality wood holds up. At the price I wouldn't sweat taking it on the road, and it would probably hold up gigging, but I'd have a ready back up. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 35 years and have a dozen guitars ranging from American standards to imports of every style. There are a lot of great import guitars out there in the $200-300 price range nowadays. Some may even be better quality than this unit. But if you really want that Les Paul look and vibe, at this price (or 2X this price) there is no competition. To do over, I'd consider an Agile 3000-3500 series, in the hopes of improving slightly on material quality, especially if I was gigging, but that's 70% more money. And sound-wise this guitar is great. For home studio work, practice or just hobby playing, this thing is impressive. // 8

AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2005

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: This guitar is a Les Paul Copy. It has solid maple top mahogany back. I got the black and the finish is deep satin. It has a stop bridge and grover tuners. 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls. It has the standard Les Paul 2 humbucker pickups. // 8

Sound: Overall the sound of the guitar is very good. The humbuckers give the guitar nice warm Les Paul sound. Curreny I'm playing it through a Drive amp, which I really don't care for but it serves it's purpose. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar really was not set up at the factory or when I bought it from Rondo Music. Even if it had, I probably would have changed it anyway. There was a minor neck buzz, but it was easy adjusted out. So far, I've found no flaws in the electronics. There were no flaws in the manufacturing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live, worked good and was dependable. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best Les Paul Copy I've come across. My AL-2500 was made in '04. This year Agile made some improvements to the 2500, 2800 and 3000 which should make them even better. When I started playing several years ago, I had a Start which was really nice, but I like the Agile better. It's a lot heavier but nothing you can't get use to. I'm now thinking about getting a 2800 or 3000. // 8

AL-2500 Reviewed by: TKDGene, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: My Agile is model 2000, was made in 2005, Korea. It is a beatifull 22 freted guitar with jumbo frets and smooth rosewood. It's a nice solid top guitar. Two peace Mahogany with a nice Les Paul Black Beauty finish with gold hardware. Die-cast bridge with Tune-O-Matic. It has 2 vol and 2 tone. Midle quality pickups are used, but that doesent really make much difference. Has nice Grover tuners. // 10

Sound: I play rock and sometimes a bit of metal, it works just fine. It uses a middle quality Agile ceramic humbucker style pickups, they work just fine, but for bigger amps, many should change humbuckers to somthing a bit more classy. I use Wah and distortion, it sounds perfect and is able to stant up proudly to Epiphone LP standart models. It can get a little noisy, but I'm pretty shure its my crapy amp, I have NRS (noice reduction system) on my pedal, so it puts an end to that. This guitar in my opininon is suitable for any jazz, rock, or metal player, is black with golden hardware, so it looks dark and goth and elegant at the same time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar has poor factry setup, the frets were buzzing, but if taken to any guitar shop, the basic setup is done within 3 - 4 days, and its about 40 dollasrs (CAN). Well at least thats the way mine came, although I'm shure that scence its wood and traveled for milles in the back of a truck, that could have caused it. Pickups were ajusted for basic player, they werent too high or too low. The bridge was mounted just fine but didnt go to well with the neck level. Guitar came with absolutly no flaws, I was amazed that for that price I got such a beauty. Hardware wasnt oxydized or anything at all, heh I guess I ordered it at the right time, when the rains and the rest of moisture kept out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't been playing my Agile for too long, but it feels nice and solid. The hardware still looks as good as new, but I take really good care of it. The strap buttons were a bit loose, but a screwdriver did the job. This guitar is rally dependable in any condition. I have a decal on my LP, it's a dark grey lizrd that I customly drew, and ofcorse scence its a decal it comes of over time, after it fell off, the paint job was just fine and good as new, althou I was afraid that some might come of, due to perhaps lossy finish. How wrong was I. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a buitiful guitar, suites practicly any style of music if properly adjusted, and some new hardware purchased. It has perfect Value vs Dollar ratio which is about 2:1, so for what you give, you get double, unlike the Epiphone models, where you pay the rest of the money for them too keep their name. I am fairly new, I have been playong guitar for about 3 months and Bass for a year. I own a Zoom 500 II pedal with a Pevey 20 Watt amp. Well I had no questions before buing this product, but afterwards I had a big question, how do the Agile Company actually make money on these guitars? Well this guitar will defenetly will not be stolen, it is worth a good brawl, but if it lost, well I would get another Agile, mabe higher model if it is available in the same paint job as my current. I love my Agile purelly after the humbucker upgrade, the only flaw of it is the humbucker quality. But well for such price, it is better quality that you will get in other stores. // 9

AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2006

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: I sure if you read the other reviews you get the idea of what the guitar looks like and the basics about it. The model I purchased was a black left-handed Agile 2000 w/P90s. I purchased this like everyone else from Rondo Music off of their website. Everything that was listed in the description was what I got. I purchased an SX guitar from Rondo and it pretty much sucked I don't blame them as much as I blame myself for buying that cheap crap. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style. I believe I can play jazz, country, soul or rock on this thing and it all sounds great, even on the cheap Crate that I plug it in to. I don't get feedback, and it defintly puts out a rich and full sound. I definetly wasn't expecting this great of a sound from this guitar. And because of it's sound and the guitar itself I felt compelled to add my review becuase these reviews helped me to decide to buy mine. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up perfectly. The action, the pickups, bridge, finish, etc. are flawless. I sent Rondo an e-mail when I placed my order reminding them I wanted them to do whatever it took to fully inspect my guitar before they sent it, which included plugging it in and playing it. I did this because the SX guitar I purchased sounded horrible. This Agile came to me perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Too early to tell. I have only had this guitar for 2 days. But if it doesn't hold up I will definitely make it a point to put in another review. I think it will hold up especially the finish. I'll grade it a 7 becuase it's still new but I have high hopes. // 7

Overall Impression: I play jazz, rock, soul and country. This guitar can match all of this. I've been playing for 2 years. If this was stolen I would definitely get another one and wish the fella that took it happy guitar playing, it's definitely something worth stealing. What I love about it is the finish and sound. The one thing I hate and told this to Rondo was that it cost an extra $50 to get the same guitar left-handed. I'm tired of these stores overcharging us southpaws. How much harder is it to make a lefty? My favorite feature is the sound and look. I agree with the other reviews and say it does compare to a Les Paul. And is by far the best Les Paul Copy on the market. I chose this guitar for the price, look and all of the good reviews I heard about it make sure you do your research before you buy and I suggest getting a guitar online is better than pay a butt-load at a store (especially if you are left-handed). Only thing I wish I had was more time to play it. // 10

AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2006

Features: This black beauty is made in Korea, has 24 jumbo frets on it. The guitar has a solid top mohagony on it with a fairly good quality satin finish. My primary concern was the Floyd Rose given the price of the guitar. However, after properly stretching the strings and locking the nut, I pulled the bar quite a lot and the guitar stayed mostly in tune (the mostly is attributed to not FULL stretching of the strings). The gold diecast grover tuners seem to be working quite well and only time will tell their durability. You can read the rest of the features on the website. // 8

Sound: I play through a Line 6 Spider 2 112. On the clean channel the guitar sounds beautiful. The sound is clear and crisp on the bridge pickup. The higher notes ring nicely and this is where you can feel the wood and the weight of the guitar coming through. The sustain is phenomenal and with a high distortion legatos generate enough vibration so you don't have to pick the strings. I never play the neck pickup with gain on, just don't like the sound and it doesn't fit my style of music, so I can't say whether it's good or bad, sounds decent to me. The separte tone and volume controls for the pickups allow you to quickly change your sound on stage, but that is far from unique to this guitar. My favority sound probably came when I was playing clean on the neck pickup. It sounded absolutely fantastic! I am comparing it to my first guitar (Ibanez RG125, $200) and Godin SD ($400). The sound on the neck pickups was really warm and bassy. I know some people say that there no such thing as "good for the money" and it's either good or bad. So lets put it that way, if I was to play this guitar at a music store without knowing the price (or the brand for that matter), I'd put a price tag of at least $800 on it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was not perfect. Intonation on the A and the G was flat, and that was fixed. BTW, that is the down side of the tremolo system with a nut. You have to unwind the string from the tuner to slide back the saddle. Either way, I was looking for good construction and materials, not anticipating a perfect set-up. There was slight buzzing on the 4th/3rd frets on the G and B strings but it could only be heard heard when the guitar is unplugged when played clean the sound was clear and well sustained. There's only so much you can lower the action by. Which brings me to my next point: the action on the guitar was suprisingly low. Finger tapping is a breeze and the strings land on the frets with the slightest touch (that might also be attributed to the soft thin strings). The pickups were just a tad too high for my taste so I lowered them just a bit but it's a matter of preferance. I have 2 complaints: while the pots work fine, without any noise and quite smoothly, they sit way too close to the body of the guitar and I think I can feel them grinding the body just a tad. The plastic itself also feels really cheap (much prefer the pots that have a jugged grip on them since my palms get moist when I play). The actual electroncs work fine though and this issue is fixable with a small investment. Another thing I noticed is the cap on the pup selector. It screws in loosely and the plastic was molded poorly with slight imperfection on it. A bit of filing and polishing fixed that. The frets are all well made, I ran up and down the entire neck of the guitar for half an hour playing around and did not find one issue (bending and grinding the frets and all). The finish was quite nice but looks glossier in the pictures on the site, I have yet thought ot give it a decent polish. The construction quality of the neck and the inlays look fantastic and the guitar just looks great overall. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got the gold hardware because of my moist palms that corode anything without non-water corosive plating on it and only time will tell how it's lasting. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years and mostly classic rock/classic metal/blues. I owned an RG125 before and currently own a Godin SD. Playing through a Line 6 Spider 2 112. Overall, I am extremelly happy with the quality, looks, feel, and sound of the guitar. It looks great, feels smooth and fast and sounds good for what I play. I could ask for a bit more attack on the palm mutes, but I can't ask for too much from no-name pick-ups. I am planning to change the pickups on it and this baby will be a keeper forever! // 9

AL-2500 Reviewed by: dmt0671, on january 22, 2007

Features: I have an Agile 2000 Gold Top with P-90s. I got it in July 2006. It has the set neck, with mahogany body and neck. It is Korean made with full body and neck binding and is a pretty high quality instrument for the money. I am very impressed with it so far. // 9

Sound: It has the P-90 pickups which I find aren't the best P-90s but it does have the bright P-90 tone. It can do pretty good with overdrive and distortion although it's not suited to real heavy sounds. It can do hard rock ok and is great for bright sounding rock like Ron Wood with a fuzz pedal. The P-90s are great for the blues and do pretty good in this area. it's also decent for 50s and 60s style rock like Chuck Berry but overall I find the P-90s rather limited in their use which is no knock on the guitar rather it's not suited for me to be using as my main guitar. I recently bought an Epiphone G-400 and put in Gibson 490/498 pcikups for the hard rock sound I'm into. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in mint condition and needed to be played with a little although that was limited to putting on some Super Slinkys and minor tweaks, the intonation was fine and no truss rod adjustment has been needed. Tuners work fine, they are Grovers, and the paint was flawless when I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The finish is tough, the hardware is solid metal, everything feels tough, at least as good or better than any of the Chinese made guitars I've seen. I took off the pickguard because I wanted it to look like Kissofs Gold top from the band Free and ended up chipping the paint where the screw hole is. And I poking around in the back checking out the electronics and it's a pretty sloppy affair in there but if it works Who cares. // 8

Overall Impression: Great guitar for the money, I can guarantee you will be surprised with the quality of this instrument if you are considering none. If you are considering an Epiphone this one will be better for the money, although I do like Epiphones. The thing is with the Agiles available it doesn't make sense to me to get an Epiphone Les Paul for the money. As for the Agile SG style guitar, I think it looks hokey with the wierd shaped body and the G-400 is the way to go. // 9

AL-2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2012

Purchased from: rondomusic

Features: This guitar has outstanding features. It's shaped like the traditional Les Paul, but with a smaller horn. I have the 12-string version, but it still fits in a lot of standard sized cases. This guitar features grover tuners, chrome hardware, quality humbuckers, and a tune-o-matic bridge. It's 3-way switch works perfect, and the sunburst finish is amazing. The guitar was handcrafted in Korea, but has potential to be made in the U.S. The neck consists of a rosewood fingerboard. The 21-fret neck also appears to be "baked" for extra effect. I was pleased at how beautiful this guitar seems. // 10

Sound: This guitar is no Rickenbacker 12-string. It can incorporate some of the the tones if you play around with the setup a bit, but it still sounds like Jimmy Page's 12-string he uses for live performances (I believe he uses the Gibson G1275 double neck). I love how the tone in the bridge pickup is nicely balanced, and the neck pickup is thick and well-rounded. It's humbuckers really do what they are intended to do... Cancel Hum! The only drawback is the fact that these pickups should be adjusted a bit to make them perform to their potential. Otherwise this guitar is ready to go out of the box! Try it out with a Vox AC-30 or any solid-state amp and you're pretty good to go. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has virtually no flaws. The pickups could have been adjusted a bit better, but that's fixable. However, there is one major flaw with it: it is EXTREMELY heavy. If you think the AL-2000 was heavy, this one will break your back. But on the other hand, the builders knew what they were doing. The equipment is put on properly and the controls work like magic. If this guitar were lighter, I would give this guitar a rating to match a Gibson's. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this guitar definitively. It has great action, perfect tone, and can endure hours of torturous practice or recording sessions. The straps work good, but it really depends on the strap you use. The hardware seems it will last quite a long time. I hope it ages like a Gibson Les Paul. As long as the guitar doesn't weigh you down, it won't go corrupt on you. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for quite a while. I like classic rock. This why I love this axe. The quality is outstanding, the performance is pitch-perfect, and the overall finish is beautiful. I can't say enough good things about this guitar. I also own the Agile AL-3000, the AL-2500 6-string, and the Agile Valkyrie, all of which are dependable and of excellent quality. Only thing I wish this guitar had? An automatic band to play with. What, that's not possible? Then there isn't anything else I would want with this guitar. // 10

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014