AL-2800 Baritone Review

9.3
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
AL-2800 Baritone Reviewed by: robertito696, on april 27, 2010

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: For the price Agile guitars in general are some of the best. Korean made, the guitar has an LP shaped solid mahogany body and maple neck with a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. Its a Baritone so its got a 27" scale length and is tuned stock to B. The whole guitar is gloss black except for really nice cream binding around the whole thing. The finish is very nice, if a bit boring, but does show smudges and fingerprints like a mother. It has two passive ceramic magnet humbuckers with black EMG style covers and two volume and tone controls as well as grover tuners. The thing's thick and heavy too, just under 10 pounds, so you'll want a nice thick strap. // 9

Sound: Being a Baritone the guitar is very much a niche instrument, more so than a 7 string. It does low tunings and only low tunings. For doom and sludge metal its perfect, I can get it up to drop A# and as low as drop G for Kylesa with the stock strings, .013 - .060. The sound is incredibly deep and rich but can get muddy with too much midrange, which forces me to scoop way more than I usually do. I play it through a Blackstar HT-5 into a 1x12 boosted by a DigiTech Hardwire CM-2 OD and a Dano fish and chips. You have to pump a good bit of gain into this bitch to get a solid distorted sound so that creates a lot of noise but the guitar itself is very quite, if a bit prone to feedback. I'm not in love with the bridge pickup which is sort of harsh but its not unbearable in the least. For heavy music its perfect and it sounds beautifully rich clean but getting the EQ set up right takes a lot of tweaking. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from the factory the action was surprisingly good, I just lowered it a tad, and all the other hardware was perfect. No sharp frets or unusual fret buzz. Its worth mentioning the intonation was off slightly, nothing that took more than 5 minutes to fix. The neck is thicker and wider than I'm used to. The larger fret spacing took a while to adjust to but now I can go from it to my other guitar fine and its actually helped my stretching a great deal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live so I can't comment on that but the guitar is rock solid. I thrash on it hard and have yet to see any signs of deterioration. The strap buttons are fine but with all my jumping around like an idiot I'd like to get some strap locks. The finish is really thick and, other than some bucklerash, untarnished, so I have no doubt it will last. I'd trust it without a backup, I'm more likely to hurt myself than it. // 8

Overall Impression: I've had it for just over 3 months now. For the doom and sludge I use it for its perfect. I chose the Agile over others solely on price. Baritones are very niche, most would rather the versatility of a 7 string, so it was hard to find any. For the price its a beautiful instrument, its simple and does what I need it to, no more and no less. On a side note rondo music was great. Kurt accidentally sent me a Standard AL-2800, which looked exactly the same, but after a few emails it was all sorted out and I got my Baritone in less than a week. It was just after xmas and he was busy, it was taken care of very quickly and Kurt was apologetic about the whole mixup. // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014