AL-3000M Review

7.9
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AL-3000M Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I recently picked up a 2004-05 Agile 3000-M (Les Paul Copy), which is much like the Prestige model but with a few changes. This guitar was made in Korea. It has 22 Jumbo Frets, on an perfect ebony fingerboard with beautiful and real abalone inlays. The Agile name and logo are also inlaid in the headstock with abalone. The fingerboard is black bound, and the binding gives it a nice edge and blends with the woods coloring. It has a solid 3/4" Grade Triple-A Flamed Maple top, and I can proudly say that this guitar blends in well with those priced thousands higher. The hardware is very solid, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and Stop tailpeice, and the bridge keeps string intonation well. The electronics are set up in traditional Les Paul style, with Two Volume and Two Tone pots and one three-way selector Switch. There are two humbuckers, both are labeled as "Alnico-V", which are stock pickups. There are Grover 18:1 locking tuners. I recieved a hard case free with my guitar, but it was bought used, so this is not typical. // 10

Sound: Much like the real Les Paul, this copy could fit any musical style. I've been playing blues/classic rock styles for a while, and this guitar suits these styles perfectly. The pickups are described as 'warm and traditional' on the Agile website, and that's the truth. You could even play Metal, though you may think about switching the pickups for some with a higher output. I use my Agile through either an 85 watt Fender Acoustasonic PA, an old Fender 30 watt, or a little Vox 15. This guitar is.. noisy, yes. On the clean channel with the bridge pickup you can get a real bright sound from the high end, and a cutting growl from the lows. Using both pickups gives you a very rich and full sound, and sounds especially beautiful on the clean channel with a little reverb. The neck pickup is very full, and you can roll off all of the treble with the tone nob, and with enough distortion this substitutes for any fuzz pedal. The pickups sound very much like Duncan 59's. You can really make any sound you want with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get recieve this guitar new, but the original buyer apparently never had it set up and kept it the way it was. When I got it, the action was very good. No buzzing or dead frets. The pickups were adjusted perfectly when I recieved it. The Top is flawless, I'm almost afraid to play this guitar in fear that I might do something to that beautiful finish. The biggest problem I had when I recieved this guitar was the output jack. The nut that secured it from the outside came loose very often, and the jack began to twist inside of the cavity. Eventually, the lead wire broke off from the jack. I opened it up to find that the wire was very very short, making re-soldering it not so easy. It started coming loose again, and the ground wire broke. That was a little easier to fix, and since then I have applied some lock-tight and it seems like it's not going anywhere. The pickup selector was a little noisy at one point, but I tightened it up a bit and it's all quiet now. Everything else was perfect on this guitar, and I consider the problems I've had so far very minor. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand Live playing. The hardware is very solid, especially the strap buttons. I have replaced the strap buttons with some locking ones but I didn't really have to (locking strap buttons were a gift, how could I say no). I have actually put the old strap buttons on my Strat, since the buttons that came with were garbage. I can depend on this guitar, it is a Les Paul (copy) after all. I'd hate to drop it, but it has fallen once. The original owner dropped it, and the finish on the bottom edge in one place is all chipped off (luckily this is on the back of the guitar, so you can't see it). I didn't include this in the flaws because it's not typical of all 3000-M's. But, the guitar was dropped, and the only damadge done was minimal. This guitar is solid mahogany and maple, and weighs over 10 pounds, so it's going to take more than that to break it. I could definetly gig without a backup (but I'd try to avoid it, string breakage and all that). The finish is very thick on this guitar and has no wear at all on it (other than the damadge from dropping it) after more than a year of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for me. When I first started playing I really wanted one of those Gibson Les Paul Standards, and now I have a very close substitute for almost a tenth of the price. I've compared this guitar to Epiphones and Gibsons, and this guitar makes a good match with the Gibson models. Epiphones cannot compare. I've been playing.. maybe a year, not overly good yet, and I have a Stratocaster (a copy, also) and an Ovation Celebrity 6/12. I love this guitar, if it was stolen I would do what a real man would do and cry about it. I love this guitar. I love everything about it. The one thing I can say that I hate is that it looks so nice, I worry too much about it. It has the most beautiful top I have ever seen and I'd never forgive myself if I dropped it. Amazing guitar, wouldn't trade it for anything. // 10

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014