AL-3200 Neck-Thru Review

manufacturer: Agile date: 03/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Agile: AL-3200 Neck-Thru
The AL-3200 Neck-Thru line is pretty different from the rest of their guitars. I've been playing is constantly and cannot seem to put it down. It's probably the nicest looking, sounding and playing instrument I've ever owned. Overall it's an incredible instrument for the price.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.1
 7.1
reviews (2) pictures (9) 16 comments vote for this gear:
AL-3200 Neck-Thru Reviewed by: triumph650, on january 23, 2012

Features: This was my first purchase from Rondo Music and now that I've played it for a few months I'm quite impressed. Rondo's Agile line is based around affordable, Les Paul-styled guitars built in Korea wit high quality components. The AL-3200 Neck-Thru line is pretty different from the rest of their guitars. I got the white version with chrome hardware. It comes with all the same hardware and electronics as the 3000 line plus a graphtec graphite nut and saddles. It also features a 5 piece walnut/maple neck thru design and mahogany body, ebony fretboard, real mother of pearl inlays, grover tuners, contoured neck joint for great upper fret access and a tummy cut on the back. Triple bound headstock and single binding on the body. I never was quite clear as to whether this particular model had a maple cap or anything, though I doubt it. For whatever reason the white version was priced at $399 and the black and other colors are all $599. Personally I love thew white finish. Overall it's an incredible instrument for the price. // 10

Sound: This is definitely the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I'm playing it through a Marshall Haze 15 head and matching 1x12 cab with an old Peavey 1x10 cab from a VS20. Also using a Vox Wah, Joyo compressor and Joyo 6-band EQ. The neck thru design adds brightness and crispness to the normally darker tone of the mahogany and makes for a very articulate and well defined tone. The pickups are definitely Vintage voiced and need a bit of extra Drive to pull metal tones but they will do it with the right encouragement. But they definitely Shine at classic rock and blues. They're a little HOT and tend to break up pretty easy when played clean and picked hard, but with a lighter touch or rolling back a bit on the volume and tone takes the bite out and leaves a nice smooth tone. I've played alot of Gibson LP's, but never owned one, over the years and this really does compare favorably to them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Very quiet and quality electrics. Cloth covered wire and clean soldering with good routing. I love the white finish on this guitar. The white goes transparent on the back of the body and neck so the neck-thru is visible. Very cool. It's almost perfect except for one very, tiny (2mm) blemish under the pickguard, right next to the screw hole by the neck. It's not visible when the pickguard is on and I don't plan on removing it. The neck is incredibly smooth and fast. The action was nice and low and the ebony fretboard feels amazing. The fretwork is great overall. There was a bit of string buzz when I got it, but a bit of set up and that was cured. The neck relief really does give great access to the upper frets and the tummy cut makes it very comfortable to play while standing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definitely a gig-worthy guitar. It's very solid and has already taken a couple good bumps and bangs with no visible damage. The workmanship is very high on this guitar so I have no doubt it will be something I'll be playing for many, many years. No loose, crooked or poorly installed components. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, blues, jazz and whatever else I feel like playing. Been playing for 14 years. At this low price and high quality it's the perfect gigging guitar. This is a solid rock guitar. Any '70's or '90's classic rock/alternative as well as blues and a bit of metal is a perfect fit for the overall stock character of this guitar, but a quick pickup change and this will be a real chameleon. Really I just love this guitar. I've been playing is constantly and cannot seem to put it down. It's probably the nicest looking, sounding and playing instrument I've ever owned. I've already ordered another Agile AL-2000 w/Floyd Rose to put some super HOT pickups in for a more modern sound because I just love the stock pickups in the 3200 too much. I would personally hunt down and kill anyone who took this guitar. Failing that I would replace it with another Agile Neck-Thru 3200. // 10

AL-3200 Neck-Thru Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2012

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: Nice price - $700 which included $100 for UPS shipping and a hardshell case. Pretty standard Les Paul features - two Alnico V humbuckers, volume and tone for each, tune-o-matic bridge, mahogany body, 22 fret ebony fretboard. Weighs a ton, its a Les Paul. Extra features - neck-thru design with tummy and heel cutaway, upgraded circuitry, tonepros tune-o-matic, graphtec nut, slim profile neck. Made in China. I ordered mine in a black maple quilt finish and it looks deadly. Came with a nice hardshell case and came to about $700 with shipping to my door, very nice! I could give this a 10 if it had a built in piezo system for acoustic sounds, much like the $700 Epi Ultra II. This guitar wins though because of the upgrades, and a ghost piezo system can be installed for about $2-300. // 8

Sound: Its a Les Paul style guitar so its got amazing sustain and resonance, something that is very characteristic of LP guitars. This guitar with its stock pickups is suited for clean, blues, classic rock kinda sound, which it does quite well but not exceptionally well. I'm going to change these pups to some bareknuckles. These pickups can do metal tones, but they aren't quite tight enough for my liking. I run this into a Mesa Boogie Mark V, with a BBE Green Screamer and Dimebag wah in front, nothing in the loop. Seems like a very quiet guitar, but the Mark V could be attributed to that, its a very noiseless amp. The Mark V is its own beast and can handle anything this guitar throws at it. Upgrading the pickups will turn this into a 9 or 10. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came very well set up from the factory, only needed a minor tuning, but what doesn't out of the box? The action seems just right and there is minimal buzz, although I've only been playing this in a standard tuning. I usually tune to D# standard, so a slight adjustment might be needed. Pickups seemed to be adjusted just right, both volumes were equal. The finish is great but not without its flaws. There are visible file marks by some of the fret ends into the fretboard. The triple cream binding on the body is fantastic, but is a bit flawed on the headstock. It looks like there is some kind impurity in the finish over the binding. Its not really noticeable though unless you really look. There is also a scratch across one of the bridge saddles, which isn't normally noticeable but the hardware is all black, and shows up as a silveryish scratch. It almost looks like the string wasn't seated properly and was tightened up and dug into the saddle. The overall finish is very nice and makes the black quilt top look fantastic. The controls and output jack feel tight and are noiseless. The controls respond well too. I'm going to give this an 8 for finish, it seems Agile is a hit and miss when it comes to this area, and I got something in-between. Minor flaws that don't affect playability are no big concern to me on a $500 guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This can easily stand up to playing live. I'm wondering if the black finish on the hardware will last or degrade - only time will tell. Even then, I don't really care if my guitars look old. The strap buttons feel solid, but I'd still recommend strap locks. I'd use this guitar as one of my two main guitars, the other being a Warmoth Explorer I built last year. It feels and plays sofa king awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 10 years and I try to be musically diversified, but I always come back to my punk/metal roots. This guitar can give you a lot of versatility and features for an insane price. I highly recommend to check these out. Obviously the worst part of this guitar is the minor flaws in the finish which I can overlook. I'd be extremely unhappy if I paid $2000+ for a real Gibson and it came with flaws like that (and I've heard of much worse coming from them too.) I'm not a fan of the weight either, but that's what you get when you sign up for a LP style guitar. The best features are the upgraded hardware, neck-thru design and the price. The sustain on this is insane in the membrane. I don't think you can get a neck-thru Les Paul anywhere else on the market for this price. I considered the Epi Ultra-II which has a chambered body and neck mounted piezo-ish device, but I think the chambered body takes a bit of the thick tone and sustain away. The best part of this guitar, and how you should judge any guitar you ever play, is how well it plays and feels in your hands, and this guitar wins hard in that category for me. A tone upgrade in the pickups is required in my opinion, but tone is always subjective. A very solid guitar for a very solid price. // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014