Hawker Review

7.7
review (1) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Hawker Reviewed by: flashreaper, on february 22, 2010

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: This is a 10 model from rondo music; it looks like an offset PRS guitar. -Made: In korea -24 frets, 24.75" scale, extra jumbo, neck feels like a thinner Schecter, rosewood finger boards, pearloid dot inlays -Mahogany body, maple neck, quilted maple top -finish: amber burst Bridge: Tune-o-matic Passive Electronics Volume, tone, toggle pickups: 2 Agile no name humbuckers tuners: grover The picture really does it no justice; the finish looks amazing. The features are top notch; the only thing I would change is the pickups. // 8

Sound: This guitar is really versatile; you can play almost every genre out there. The cleans are really warm and articulate, and the guitar still retains clarity even on high gain settings. I play primarily metal, and my first concern was if the pickups have bad feedback. The results: none. This guitar has virtually no feedback at all. My only criticism for the pickups is that they can't handle super high gain settings or really low tunings, but let's face it: you wouldn't buy a guitar like that if you intended on playing Cannibal Corpse or Nile. I drop tune to D standard, and it works fine, but I think that's the lowest you can go before the clarity becomes compromised. I personally favor the sound of seymour duncans, and I will be replacing the stock pickups with them, but the stock ones are quite good considering I paid 300 bucks. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where the issues arise: the setup wasn't very good, but you have to take this info with a grain of salt: I paid 300 bucks for it, after all. The action was nice and low, but the fret buzz was quite bad, specifically at the 3rd, 5th and 12th fret. After a good setup, however, I have absolutely no fret buzz, which leads me to believe that the frets were aligned properly. The pickups were adjusted perfectly. The only flaw I noticed was the paint around the neck heel could've been done a bit better, but it's literally impossible to notice unless you are within a foot of the guitar. It was only after my visual inspection did I notice this, and honestly, I couldn't really care less. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar will withstand live playing very well, the thing is built very solidly, and has a decent weigh to it. The strap buttons will definetely last, but if you go nuts with your stage presence, I would suggest strap locks. The hardware also seems very solid. The finish seems very solid too; I have no doubts that this guitar will serve me well for a long time to come. // 8

Overall Impression: I'll admit I was quite skeptical when looking through rondo music.com, because I've dealt with low cost guitars, and they were absolute nightmares. But I decided, the hell with it, I'll give Agile a shot, and I am not dissapointed in the slightest. The Agile Hawker is a fantastic guitar on premise, and the price just makes it that much better. I would definetely recommend buying one, because the flaws I listed are quite meanial in regards to the big picture. // 8

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Valkyrie III 8.4 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014