Interceptor 727 Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Interceptor 727 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2009

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

Features: This guitar was a 2008 model made in Korea. 7 string guitar. Scale length is 27" on an ebony fretboard and has 24 frets. I have 2 of these, one with a flamed maple in black and the other with quilted maple in green. The body is made basswood and the neck is maple. All Interceptors come with a licensed Floyd Rose 7 tremolo bridge. Only the Pro models have active pickups. Comes with the Standard 3-way selecrot, Volume and tone knobs, but with a coil tap. Two humbuckers (Don't know the brand, I guess they make them themselves). Non-locking Grover tuners. Reversed headstock. // 10

Sound: These things are absolute beasts for metal. I had been looking to buy a 7 string but didn't want to go flat broke. Especially during these times, so I saw these on eBay and gave it a shot. Eveything was way over my expectations especially the quality of the guitar itself. Sure, they have minor flaws here and there (the finish on my black one almost becomes purple under light) but overall these guitars are a complete steal for less than 500 dolars. I play them out of a Line 6 Spider III and a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal and it just blows my mind away (as well as my neighbor's). It has a deep low end, which is really what I was looking for because I tune a whole step below Standard and the pickups are super responsive to every note. As far as a variety of sounds, this thing can just about do it all from Dimebag-like squeals to Paul Gilbert style shredding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When they both arrived, there were some issues with intonation and setup... But to the experienced guitarist these things can just about be expected and remedied quite easily. They hold low action quite well without any fret buzz (thank god). The flaws are slight, there is some awful SHARPIE marks on the edges where the paint did not cover the wood all the way on my black interceptor, and on my green interceptor it came with an enormous dent in the back (something obviously wanted to do some dameage, it tore though two layers of cardboard... So I say to hell with fedex! ). All aside... They're still playable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have not used either one in a Live proformance, so I really can't tell you much. The hardware is all very stable and the strap buttons are very secure. As for the finish, it'll last. I've never seen a transparent finish fade or diminish in any way so you're good. Don't trip. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly extreme death metal (Necrophagist-type syle) with a huge load of shred intertwined (all metal does though... So no big surprise there) and these guitars are a perfect fit for it all. I've been playing guitar for 6 years and own 11 guitars and these 2 are my favorite apart from my Dave Mustaine VMNT (heavily modified). The only thing I wish I knew before buying the guitar is that for 100 dollars more I could get a neck-through model with EMG 707's. Lame! I could not imagine my life without these pristine beauties and hope to carry them down in my little... 'family'. I looked at pretty much every 7 string guitar currently on the market before deciding to buy these because not only are they very affordable, the quality that is put into the guitars is amazing, and I still compare it to other 7's whenever I go to a Guitar Center or anything of the sort. The only imperfection to the Standard Interceptor model is it does not have a matching headstock, but oh well Who cares about the headstock anyways? // 10

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Interceptor Pro 727 8 Electric Guitars 12/20/2013