Interceptor Pro 727 Review

manufacturer: Agile date: 12/20/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Agile: Interceptor Pro 727
It has really nice features. Everything is nicely arranged on the guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 8.3
 8.3
 7.7
reviews (4) pictures (7) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Interceptor Pro 727 Reviewed by: anubiz03, on september 14, 2009

Purchased from: Rondomusic

Features: This is an Agile 7 string guitar, made in Korea. It's from one of the first batches. It has 24 frets and uses a licensed Floyd Rose. It's neck through, has a mahogany body with a flamed maple top, and a 5 piece maple neck. The body is an arch top. Mine is the black flame model. It uses EMG 707's with a three-way switch and Grover tuners. The fretboard is ebony without any fret markers, except for the ones on the side of the neck of course. It has one master volume and one master tone control. Overall, it has really nice features, everything I would expect on a high end guitar. Everything is nicely arranged on the guitar, and easy to control. Would get a 10 if the Floyd was original and it had built in strap locks. // 8

Sound: The sounds from this beast is amazing. Rich mids, tight bass, and nice and clear highs. The pickups are active, so obviously there's not really much noise coming from it. I mainly use it with a Bugera 333XL through a closed back cab with 2 v30's. The tones it gives are really good. The mids are very strong, and they're followed by a nice bass response that really gives them that lift. The highs do what they're supposed to do, they don't really amaze me by themselves, but hey, it's a 7 string we're dealing with here. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was OK from factory. It was well set up, with no string buzz or anything like that, but it could probably be improved with a tech setup. The pickups a placed the way they should be, but some people might want to change the height a bit. Or remove the covers. I noticed that the lacquer finish didn't reach into the Floyd routing. But that's OK. I don't have too much experience with Floyds, so it might be like that on most guitars. There was no faults at all in the factory setup. But the fact that it's a licensed Floyd is noticeable, as the holes in the nut lockers aren't as perfect as they should be. But a simple change to an original Floyd will fix this. No routing needed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank, I can't imagine anything on it breaking as long as I don't break it on purpose. And believe me, I torture my guitars quite a bit, it's already been dropped several times due to my laziness (not using strap locks as I should) and it hasn't suffered one bit in any of it's functions. But the Floyd, I mentioned the nut locker holes wasn't the perfectly same size, so it's already broken three Allen keys. I don't know how long the screws themselves will last like this. But except for the Floyd which I am going to change for an original, it's a tank. I'd gig without a backup any day with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play various styles, but I mainly use this guitar for the heavier stuff. It fits my style perfectly, and gives me the sound I want when chugging out palm mutes and soloing. My amp is listed above, and my other guitar is a Japanese Fender Strat. If it was stolen, I'd go get a new one right away. I can't single out anything specific that makes me love it, it just does that as a whole. My peeve is the licensed Floyd. I did compare it to several other 7 strings, from very different price ranges, and this one can easily compete with other ones Thrice its price. I chose it partly for the looks, and partly for the price. I could have gone with a much more expensive one like the APEX1. But the sound difference was so small, and the price difference so big. Besides, I love flamed maple tops. I just wish it had that damn original Floyd. // 9

Interceptor Pro 727 Reviewed by: Metalcore Jero, on january 18, 2011

Price paid: A$ 920

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: - Real Quilted Maple top and double cutaway light mahogany arch top body - 27" scale 5 piece maple neck-thu body construction - USA Made EMG 707 Pickups - Ebony fretboard with no markers. Position markers are located on the side of the neck. - 24 Extra Jumbo 2.9mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play -Grover Die Cast tuners - Floating Trem Licensed by Floyd Rose - Reverse Headstock - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 7/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16" - Uniform Neck Profile (21.5mm at the frest fret and 22mm at the 12th fret) - Overall length, including the strap button: 41" - Actual Weight is only 8.5 lbs Had to buy the hardcase for this since Rondo don't ship internationally without one, but I was gonna buy one anyway. Came with all the alan keys and trem bar sealed in the hardcase. Gets a nine because no guitar ever gets a 10, theres always something that can be better. For those of you wondering about the neck, its not as thin as as Ibanez, but its not as thick as a Schecter. Sort of a nice in between. // 9

Sound: I bought this specifically for my heavier interests being technical death metal etc where my six string just wasn't cutting it. The EMG's give it a nice attack and almost zero noise which I love. As much as most people will say the Duncans are better, I'm just an EMG fan. Its being run through a Peavey 6505+ head and Marshall 1960A cab for all live uses and a simple Peavey Vypyr 30 or Fender Mustang II for home practice. I prefer using the 6505+ because of the tube tone but for home use its simply impractical. Its definetly more suited to high gain (primarily where its used) but it can make some sparkly cleans too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar was delivered to me the action surprisingly was really good. Not too high or too low, but a nice inbetween. Still, I sat down with it instantly and lowered it to my own preference and leveled the floyd too. Pickups were at just the right height, and the tribal red finish is nothing short of breathtaking. No real flaws on it, spare a slight marking on the 3rd fret just below the B string, but its hardly noticeable so I don't care too much. Bridge was routed very well and no dead or buzzing frets whatsoever. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definetly withstand live playing, and has twice already. It moves with me almost effortlessly, and doesn't leave my shoulder aching at the end either since its not too heavy. I don't know how dureable the original strap buttons are since I put Schaller strap locks on instantly because I don't leave anything to chance on my guitars. Due to the floyd, I wouldn't gig without a backup because you never know what can happen, and I never go without a backup anyway. The finish has held up beautifully as well, though fingerprints are noticeable when you sit down with it. Not being a big trem user I can't comment on how well it does or doesn't work since I've used it for no more than 15mins total in 2months. // 8

Overall Impression: For all my high gain metal needs, this is better than 99.5% of all the other 7's I compared it too. The closest competition it had was a Jackson SLAT 3-7, but that was two and a half times the price so it lost out to the Agile, which is just as good, if not better. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat were it stolen or lost and have plans already to buy another (most likely a Hornet). The only real complaint I have is the lack of inlay options, but I've grown to like not having them now so it doesn't lose any points here (it may be different for you). I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a solid 7 string that doesn't break the bank (these go for $680 USD or something stupidly cheap like that). // 9

Interceptor Pro 727 Reviewed by: HomoSum, on april 05, 2012

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

Features: Well, I know it was made in Korea. I'm pretty sure its an '08 or an '09. 24 frets, licensed Floyd Rose, Ebony Fretboard, no inlays, so the plain black board and 7 strings looks amazing. Grover tuners, neck through, mine is the green tribal flame, EMG 707's, 3 way switch, all that good stuff. What I don't like about the coolest guitar I've ever owned, is that it is extremely heavy. It kills my shoulder, and makes me consider getting a damn bass guitar strap for it. Floyds are always kind of touchy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I can easily go from Standard A to Drop A which is really all you need on a 7. String tension stays tight because I have the 27" baritone, so even in Drop A I don't have much buzz issues. Action is good, but am considering raising it to get more low end. // 8

Sound: I play whatever, no style in particular. And honestly it amazes me. I've never gotten clean tones like I do out of my Agile. Never have I had such a menacing metal tone. Like Meshuggah to Zeppelin. Really mean and bassy lows, and the highs are great. I play on D'Addari strings, and wish they made a set with a wound G string. It is pretty hard to bend a string on a Baritone guitar, but I sacrificed bending for the 7th string, and knew that it would be that way. I play on a shitty Peavey Vyper amp, but still the awesome tone comes through. I don't dive bomb and abuse my whammy, I'm more of a light whammy guy. I dig floyds for the tuning capabilities, but it sounds great all the same. I do wonder though if I should have gotten the Duncan Blackouts instead of the HOT EMGs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It came in the only case that would fit the guitar, because you can't buy an 800 dollar guitar without a damn case. It was safely packaged, wrapped, and then put in the case. I got the guitar, set it up and tuned it in like 5 seconds. Tightened the lock nuts, and tightened a nut at one of the top tuning pegs and it was perfect. I did have it professionally setup for A standard, for a deeper low, and since have been setting it up myself. There were some slight scuff marks on the outside of the Floyd, but so small I rarely think about it. One tiny line in the side that could have been from anything, overall no complaints and only compliments about the finish. The green is what its all about with the black fretboard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, its heavy as hell in weight. My shoulder would die at show with the DiMarzio clip lock strap I have on it now, because I wanted a permanent strap on this thing. Everything seems solid though in a good way. It would definitely hold up. I would definitely bring a back up just because Floyds are Floyds, and shit happens. And the finish on the top and the hardware seem like they will last with proper care. It looks great even when smudged and dirty. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years. Own a few guitars, electric, acoustic, 6 and 7's, and its the best guitar I've ever had the chance to play. Its sucks for you potential buyers that you can't try one out before you buy it, but trust me its totally worth it. Will definitely buy from the company again and would ANNIHILATE anyone if they stole it from me. I love the finish and the black and blank fretboard. I don't lose my place or anything without the markers, and it really makes it look majestic. I wish it had a legitimate Floyd, wasn't so heavy, and sometimes wish I had tried the Duncan Blackouts. When you play the guitar it feels like a 10, and the tone is incredible, but I have to give it an 8 because there are somethings I would change. But damn do I love Agile. // 8

Interceptor Pro 727 Reviewed by: guitarguru1987, on december 20, 2013

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: Specifications: - Purchased in October 2013 (not sure when it was made) - Made in South Korea - Mahogany body with quilted maple top - 24 jumbo frets on a 27" scale maple fretboard with black dot inlays - Neck has a 13.7" radius and is about 7/8" thick - Full neck-thru-body construction - Finish is Amber Burst with black hardware and Grover tuners - EMG 707 active pickups with 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way switch - Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo (FRT-S2000) - Reversed headstock - Super strat shaped body with an arched top // 8

Sound: My main genre is metal but I do like to venture out into pretty much any other playing style. However, this guitar is definitely build for metal. The EMGs provide plenty of volume and sustain for any heavy situation. It is easy to get good cleans (metal cleans that is) as well when you dial back the volume a little. The bridge and neck pickups are the same and therefore sound pretty much the same with the neck pickup being a little softer. My main rig is a Boss ME-70 in front of a Peavey 5150 driving a pair of unknown Celestions in a Crate cab from the '90s. I use the ME-70 to provide some noise suppression and a bit of boost and EQ. The heavy tones are thick and rich with harmonics, especially considering the pickups are active. There is a slight lack of definition though which I attribute to the thin mahogany body. Chugging on the low B can easily become muddy if you are not precise with your picking. When venturing out into other genres such as blues, jazz and progressive, this guitar can definitely handle itself. The active EMGs crave gain so you do have to work a bit harder for a lower gain sound. But who is going to buy this guitar for lower gain? Overall, I think the sound is great while much improvement could be had with a good set of passive pickups. The EMG 707s with the mahogany body are great for a death metal or classic metal sound, but if you are looking for a more modern metalcore or djent sound, I would replace them with a set of quality passives. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This category can be a little touchy. It is a known fact that you have to have a guitar properly set up for bets playability and feel. Whether or not you are willing to pay a pro is up to you but here is my experience with this particular guitar. The factory setup was awful, no way around it. I cannot fault Agile for this though because who knows how long this guitar was sitting in a factory, on a freight carrier or in a warehouse. The action was high, the Floyd was not level, the neck was not straight and the intonation was horrid. First thing to do was to put a set of quality strings on it. I have always been a fan of the D'Addarios so I went with a set of 9 - 56s. After changing the strings, tweaking the truss rod, fiddling with the Floyd's springs and setting the intonation, the guitar was completely different... in a great way! The action is extremely low with some fret buzz, but not too much. None of the notes fret out, even with whole and two step bends. I find it very easy to glide across the fretboard and any missed notes are due to my inexperience with longer scale guitars. The longer scale does provide a nice tension though. I have the guitar tuned to standard B, and the tension is perfect. Now on to the bad... the fretwork is not stellar. When looking down the edges of the fretboard, there is an obvious sloppiness with the fret edges. This does not affect the playability but just about all of my other guitars have a better fret job. The second annoyance comes with the truss rod. I was able to get the neck pretty straight but the extra tension on the bass side has caused more bow on the bass side than the treble side. As far as I can tell, this hasn't affected the playability other than the fact that there is more fret buzz on the bass side. This can be easily solved by installing another truss rod. Since that's not an option for this guitar, I just had to raise the action on the bass side a bit. The quilted maple top is nice but not perfect by any means. Excellent for the price though. The transparent amber burst finish is very nice in contrast with the black hardware and maple fretboard. The hardware is quality and the Grover tuners are nice. The licensed Floyd is just that, a copy. It gets the job done, but certainly a real Floyd would be better. I found that even when the tremolo arm is tightened all the way down, it still remains loose, which is annoying considering that I like the arm to stay where I put it. The volume and tones knobs are firm and smooth and the electronics are clean and clear. Overall, the guitar rips. It really is a shredding machine. The frets are not a "jumbo" as I would have liked but this is really a personal preference. At the price I paid, I am not complaining since all of the flaws can be easily overlooked. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems very durable and I would gig with this guitar without a backup with no worries. The finish is a bit thin but again, you can't beat it in this price range. I plan to install a set of strap locks but I believe the standard strap button are sufficient. I just like that extra piece of mind. I don't plan on dropping this guitar but if I did, I think it would be ok. Agile has provided you with piece of mind by equipping this guitar with quality components. Grover tuners are always great and I have never heard of an EMG pickup failing. Just remember to change the batter every so often. I can't say much more because only time will tell if it's reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very impressed with the quality Agile puts into their very reasonably priced guitars. I have owned several different Agiles and while each one has it's own strengths and weaknesses, they all share the common trait of bring quality and features to a price range that other manufacturers cannot match. Like I said, my main style is metal and I would highly recommend this guitar for any heavy music. I own several guitars including a LTD KH-600, LTD F-400FM, B.C. Rich NJ Neck Thru Mockingbird, Ibanez RG 3550MZ Prestige, Agile AL-2000 and a few others that are not as nice. This sits right up at the top with my go-to guitars (the LTDs and Ibanez). The major improvements I would make to this guitar are an Original Floyd and some good passive pickups. Another truss rod would be nice but I have never seen two in a 7 string so I am not disappointed. Seriously, if you are looking at diving into the world of 7 strings for metal music, consider Agile. I spent the better part of a year waiting for this one to go on sale but it was very much worth it, especially considering that their Interceptor Pros typically go for $700 or more. Even at $700, it is a good deal but Rondo is always putting their guitars on sale so it's worth waiting. Do I wish I had a Prestige Ibanez or ESP 7 string? Sure, but I am budget minded as most of you are. This guitar is the perfect combination of top level features and quality craftsmanship for a reasonable price. // 8

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ 3101M 8.7 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014