Valkyrie III Review

8.4
review (1) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Valkyrie III Reviewed by: MidEvilDeath, on february 16, 2010

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: This guitar is distributed through rondomusic.com. Their website claims that their guitars are built in a variety of countries such as China, Taiwan, and Korea. Its got 22 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard and a set in maple neck. Its a solid top with a 3 piece mahogany body. The finish is called silverburst and it looks very nice. Its an SG copy with a Tune-O-Matic bridge with ceramic magnet pickups Ceramic Pickup spec: Neck: Inductance: 3.8 Henries, DC Resistance: 8.14k ohms Bridge: Inductance 15.2 Henries DC Resistance: 17.4 k ohms and Grover sealed 18:1 // 7

Sound: Its good for what you would expect it to be for, hard blues rock and heavy rhythms ACDC and Nebula type stuff, which is what I usually play. I have a Valve King with a Celestian GT75 or whatever it is. I used to play a lot of metal but now I just like hard blues rock powerchord riffage and solos. This guitar sounds great for what I play because I used to only use Superstrats and then I switched to a Strat, and this kind of brings the best of both worlds. The ceramic humbuckers are have all the output you need for bone crushing riffs, yet are bright enough to cut through your gain and give you the clarity you so desire. On the clean side, the pups seem a bit too tinny and springy like a Strat but LOUD, so its ok because you know you're just going to crush the guitar with powerchords and vicious licks anyway. It sustains well, like it should. With the tuneomatic and mahogany body you can hear the notes reverberating through the wood without the amp on. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up great at the factory but it was shipped from NH to FL so after a day or two I had to adjust the truss rod a bit, but its fine now. The pickups were adjusted perfect, with the neck pickup slanting towards the g b e strings like it should. It has a great body and flawless paint job, and the nut was actually cut perfect. Its hard to even get Fender to do that right. The only flaw I found is the saddle for the g string moves side to side, its not snug in there like it should be so you can kind of feel and hear it shift over when you bend. Its kind of annoying but it doesn't make the string de tune so its no big deal. I think the only way I could fix that problem is to rubber band the bottoms of all the saddles together or get another bridge, I am unaware of any ways to tighten the things, however I have not taken it apart and looked at it so who knows. All in all, the guitar stays in tune well and intonation is good. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar because I tear up guitars, I play really rough. My Strat got wore down to the bones, it needs to frets and that truss rod wont go any tighter without cracking the neck but it still needs more relief for how I play. The Agile has survived many band practices without even going out of tune. It was not in tune when it was shipped but I tuned it by ear without the tuner didn't need a tuner for like a week, it held up the tuning. The hardware should last, grover tuners and a tune o matic are a good combination. Finish looks strong, but even if it wears then you just have beautiful mahogany underneath, oh darn. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for how I play, and the price can't be beat, thats the key factor in this guitar. Its no Gibson, but it does a very good job trying. I would rather have this than some stupid SG Faded that cost 1200 dollars that they didn't paint or even good inlays in. I have been playing for ten years and have owned 40 guitars or so, and this is one of my favorites, so far. I have a 60th anniversary Strat thats been beaten and abused like a sick puppy, and this Agile plays better for me most likely because its new and has yet to feel my fury. Even if it can only survive a couple years with me, I still get my moneys worth because I burn through guitars, even 1200 fenders. This is now my main axe, between my Strat and Kramer. New pickups and high output electronics would make this baby scream even more. I have never had a true double cutaway like this before, and let me tell you, its awesome. That body doesn't start until the 22 fret on the treble and bass side. If I had to buy this product again, I would, but I might also get something else from rondomusic.com, you really can't go wrong with them, especially for the price. // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Interceptor Pro 727 8 Electric Guitars 12/20/2013