Valkyrie III Review

Features: 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Valkyrie III Reviewed by: MidEvilDeath, on february 16, 2010

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: This guitar is distributed through rondomusic.com. Their website claims that their guitars are built in a variety of countries such as China, Taiwan, and Korea. Its got 22 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard and a set in maple neck. Its a solid top with a 3 piece mahogany body. The finish is called silverburst and it looks very nice. Its an SG copy with a Tune-O-Matic bridge with ceramic magnet pickups Ceramic Pickup spec: Neck: Inductance: 3.8 Henries, DC Resistance: 8.14k ohms Bridge: Inductance 15.2 Henries DC Resistance: 17.4 k ohms and Grover sealed 18:1 // 7

Sound: Its good for what you would expect it to be for, hard blues rock and heavy rhythms ACDC and Nebula type stuff, which is what I usually play. I have a Valve King with a Celestian GT75 or whatever it is. I used to play a lot of metal but now I just like hard blues rock powerchord riffage and solos. This guitar sounds great for what I play because I used to only use Superstrats and then I switched to a Strat, and this kind of brings the best of both worlds. The ceramic humbuckers are have all the output you need for bone crushing riffs, yet are bright enough to cut through your gain and give you the clarity you so desire. On the clean side, the pups seem a bit too tinny and springy like a Strat but LOUD, so its ok because you know you're just going to crush the guitar with powerchords and vicious licks anyway. It sustains well, like it should. With the tuneomatic and mahogany body you can hear the notes reverberating through the wood without the amp on. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up great at the factory but it was shipped from NH to FL so after a day or two I had to adjust the truss rod a bit, but its fine now. The pickups were adjusted perfect, with the neck pickup slanting towards the g b e strings like it should. It has a great body and flawless paint job, and the nut was actually cut perfect. Its hard to even get Fender to do that right. The only flaw I found is the saddle for the g string moves side to side, its not snug in there like it should be so you can kind of feel and hear it shift over when you bend. Its kind of annoying but it doesn't make the string de tune so its no big deal. I think the only way I could fix that problem is to rubber band the bottoms of all the saddles together or get another bridge, I am unaware of any ways to tighten the things, however I have not taken it apart and looked at it so who knows. All in all, the guitar stays in tune well and intonation is good. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar because I tear up guitars, I play really rough. My Strat got wore down to the bones, it needs to frets and that truss rod wont go any tighter without cracking the neck but it still needs more relief for how I play. The Agile has survived many band practices without even going out of tune. It was not in tune when it was shipped but I tuned it by ear without the tuner didn't need a tuner for like a week, it held up the tuning. The hardware should last, grover tuners and a tune o matic are a good combination. Finish looks strong, but even if it wears then you just have beautiful mahogany underneath, oh darn. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for how I play, and the price can't be beat, thats the key factor in this guitar. Its no Gibson, but it does a very good job trying. I would rather have this than some stupid SG Faded that cost 1200 dollars that they didn't paint or even good inlays in. I have been playing for ten years and have owned 40 guitars or so, and this is one of my favorites, so far. I have a 60th anniversary Strat thats been beaten and abused like a sick puppy, and this Agile plays better for me most likely because its new and has yet to feel my fury. Even if it can only survive a couple years with me, I still get my moneys worth because I burn through guitars, even 1200 fenders. This is now my main axe, between my Strat and Kramer. New pickups and high output electronics would make this baby scream even more. I have never had a true double cutaway like this before, and let me tell you, its awesome. That body doesn't start until the 22 fret on the treble and bass side. If I had to buy this product again, I would, but I might also get something else from rondomusic.com, you really can't go wrong with them, especially for the price. // 9

Valkyrie III Reviewed by: TheHolodomor, on july 21, 2014

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

Features: Purchased in 2014, this guitar was manufactured in South Korea (as with all other Agile guitars) This guitar features 24 frets with a super thin set mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with pearloid inlays. This guitar is a 3 piece mahogany SG like guitar. The Finish is a sunburst and it looks Beautiful! The bridge is Cepheus T-003 tune-O-matic. The pickups are passive ceramic chrome covers with a 3 way selector and 2 volume and tone switches. It's distorted SG like shape allows access to all 24 frets. I compare this to my $1000 Gibson SG all the time and being my first guitar it has a more sentimental value, but all round I prefer this guitar. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, and hard rock, but I have played just about every style and this guitar has suited them all perfectly. The pickups in this guitar are stock and are very impressive for the price. NOTE: FOR THE PRICE!!! I would recommend switching pickups on just abut any guitar to suit your needs, but these pickups will definitely do for any style just fine! They certainly do their job, not only shredding, leads, or cleans, but the hum is little to nonexistent! A rather dark, but compared to Gibson is bright, this guitar is an absolute power house! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up pretty decent straight out of the box. It was a bit out of tune with perfect action. There was a bit of fret buzzing which was fixed with some neck adjustments. Keep in mind this guitar was imported from South Korea and due to climate change, you will get this with any guitar. It was set up perfectly before it was shipped, I know that. The finish, shape, and feel are very close to that of a PRS SE Custom 24. I have played a few PRS' and I say this is very close in tone and feel. The Shape is really detailed and is a beauty upon close inspection. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Agile Valkyrie will withstand playing live by far, I would fully trust it, although I NEVER gig with out a good 2 or 3 back ups, but if you were limited on money... it's trustworthy. Hardware is bullet proof, that's all there is to it. The finish will certainly last, but really who cares? I think I can speak for every guitarist when I said age is beautiful for a finish. The strap buttons are very very solid. I don't use strap locks (although I probably should) and I never had a strap slip on me EVER. // 10

Overall Impression: Being a metalhead, this guitar suits my needs. Like I said before, It will suit every style. Playing live I very from Metal, to rock, to blues all in one set and I use this guitar for all of them. I've only been playing for two years, but don't let that fool you. The fast developing teenage brain is capable of much more than an adult brain when put to the test. I own 11 other guitars and know my shit when it comes to details. It it were stolen, I would hunt down the man who took it and go Dexter Morgan on his a-s, but if it was not found... I would probably sell one of my other guitars and buy it again. I love absolutely everything on this guitar from the weight (8.5lbs) to the trim around the headstock. My favorite thing would probably have to be the body shaping and beveling. The only thing I would change is the pickups, but since I don't have much time on my hands, they'll do. // 9

More Agile reviews rating category latest review
+ Pendulum Pro 72527 8.3 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014