Excel Standard Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 09/06/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Aria: Excel Standard
I play a whole range of music from heavy blues through to heavy metal and this guitar is excellent.
 7.1
 8.8
 5.4
review (1) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Excel Standard Reviewed by: kirky boy, on september 06, 2010

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: I believe this is a Korean made guitar and it has a solid build. With 22 frets it has all of the ones I need and they are larger than my old Ibanez GIO frets but I wouldn't call them jumbo. It has a Liscensed Floyd Rose and locking nuts that keep the guitar in tune excellently. To the side of the bridge there is 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, a 5 way pickup selector and an awesome coil split. The finish is a metallic red that looks amazing. The stock pickups are humbuckers in neck and bridge with a single coil in the middle. // 9

Sound: I play a whole range of music from heavy blues through to heavy metal (e.g. Dream Theater, Metallica, Megadeath, Iron Maiden) and this guitar is excellent. I mainly use the bridge pickup (with coil split for some bluesy stuff) although when I'm playing chordy stuff I will use the neck humbucker. Although not necessarily the top of the range pickups they are good although maybe some Seymour Duncan's or EMG's would be nice. I play through a Peavey vypyr 30 and the sound is not the brightest, although I quite enjoy that, its not one for someone is is trying to playing squeaky clean la-la-la-la music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws at all pickups were at the right height, no scratches dents or anything. Major companies could learn a thing or two from my guitar shop (they set up all of the guitars they sell). A nice low action but without the fret buzz, lovely to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be excellent live, although as it has a Floyd Rose I would not do a large gig without a backup. Strap buttons look sturdy, although they are not huge. The rest of the hardware will hold up excellently and I could see that guitar lasting well into the future, with a superb thick finish. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is very good and with the discounts I got was a steal. If it were stolen I would get straight out to buy another one. The coil split is very good, it cleans up the sound a lot and is excellent for lead. However the guitar is not particularly big, and being over 6 foot myself that isn't the best of things. // 8

More Aria reviews rating category latest review
+ Conrad Les Paul 6.8 Electric Guitars 12/04/2013