MAC-30 Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 09/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Aria: MAC-30
The new MAC-30 offers a classic humbucker-single-single pickup combination with a coil tap for extra sonic possibilities and more of a strat bite. Smooth feeling neck for the shredders amongst you and a trem for whammy bar heroics! 24 fret beastie with cool looks at an incredible price.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.5
 Features: 7.3
 6.4
 6.2
 6.5
reviews (6) pictures (4) 13 comments vote for this gear:
MAC-30 Reviewed by: Normozoidz, on november 21, 2006

Features: Okay, so a little informatin about Aria Pro II. This guitar company had one of the best guitars during the mid '60s, the early '80s made from the Matsumoku Company. This company had its time. Another thing Aria Pro has a better quality than the Aria guitar company right now. Some informations that I have gathered on this guitar was on www.ariaguitars.com. Since Aria and Aria ProII are different companies I think that you shouldn't only rely on this review. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits almost any kind of music from blues down to death metal. It also sounds so good in clean, overdrive, and distortion (I haven't tried other effects) with my friends Yamaha practice amp wich only has an overdrive, tone, and volume. When I tried it with my other friends Behringer amp it really impressed me. The only thing that I didn't like about this guitar is that it suffers from a buzz, but I don't know if it's with guitar or with the amp in other amps it doesn't suffer from a buzz. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar body and it's color has a very seductive look. It has a good combination of purple red and black with gold bridges, and tuning keys. The pickups were adjusted well enough, the bridges were properly routed. The wiring though was very messy but it uses PCB chips not like other low quality guitars here in the Philippines. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand live playing. The only thing is that this guitar is older than me so I think the metal hardwares are bound for replacement if I only had money and good guitar services here in the city, I swear that I would really install floyd rose bridges on my guitar. I can depend on this guitar and would use this live. // 6

Overall Impression: I had been playing the guitar for almost 3 years and I play mostly the "not so mainstream music" (Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Incubus) and it really has a good fit except for Incubus. The thing that I love about this guitar is that it begs me to play it with the looks and sound of it. If this guitar was stolen I would realy be pissed off, this guitar could be a collectors item because it's rare and has a good sound, it's not like everyday you can buy a guitar for $120. // 8

MAC-30 Reviewed by: the_random_hero, on april 11, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: No idea when it was made. 24 frets. Not sure of the neck scale, but I find anything above the 17th fret too small for my hands. I'm not too sure of what type of wood it is, I wasn't and cant find much information on the net about my guitar. A bit like a Strat, more aggressive curves. Strat trem bridge, I have it very tight as it goes out of tune easily. 2 single coil and one humbucker, 5 way Switch, master volume and master tone Switch. // 6

Sound: I play a bit of everything. The guitar suffers from extreme buzz. I rewired and shielded it, and it still suffers a lot. I'm thinking it is probably the crap quality of the stock pickups. If I had some money, I would replace them. The single humbucker handles distortion quite well though. Currently stuck with a practice amp, quite limited in what sounds I can make. Using pedals it gets a lot better. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very poorly. The pickups were too close to the strings, the action was very high. After saying this, the guitar body itself was very nice. No flaws whatsoever in the body, although there is a chip where the nut was placed, it isn't that noticable. Nearly one year later, the frets have started to rust, along with the bridge and the pickups. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure that this guitar would stand live playing, but I wouldn't play it for sure. Although it looks very nice, the buzz is embarrasing. Seeing as though it has started rusting already, I don't think the stock hardware will last more than another year. When I get some money, it will become my backup guitar. // 2

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, blues, a lot of different stuff. I should have bought a guitar with twin humbuckers, it would have suited me better. This is a good guitar for somebody who has a lot of money, and will only ever be a beginner. If it got stolen, I would save my money and buy a Les Paul! However, if I ever get some money, I will start replacing all the hardware, and then it would look and sound like a fairly decent guitar! // 4

MAC-30 Reviewed by: TunaFish, on december 12, 2008

Price paid: € 130

Features: The Aria MAC-30 offers good features for a reasonable price. it's good for beginners or even for professionals that want to jam or try new sounds. I don't know where it was made. The guitar itself looks nice, with and "aggressive" look, being the color black the most noticeable. This guitar is very sexy and attractive. It has 24 frets and 4 different pickups, making a vary of sounds.(the tremolo can be added, also has 2 volume controllers etc... ) it's good to play any style of music from blues to metal. It is very comfortable to play on it, and the neck is good. The bridge: Floyd Rose. The guitar is better when using a pedal, but the distorted sound from the amp is also good. // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar is impressively good for the price. In fact, I think this is the best from the Aria MAC 30. You can play any style on want you it, and both the clean and distorted sound really good. The only down point is the buzzing that will happen if you don't change strings after a couple of mouths. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups are well adjusted and the guitar looks very good, beautiful, has mentioned above. However, it is noticeable that after a few mouths, the fret begins to lose it's quality and so the strings. Playing this guitar is easy, has the neck is well designed and you wont have trouble moving/playing on it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is the weak spot of this guitar. After a few months, it seems that everything on it turns bad. In fact, the strings and frets of my Aria are all rusty and dirty. Sure, I clean it sometimes but after a while, it's the same again. The only solution is to clean it often and replace strings. Has for the strings itself, they are weak. They will sound "cranky" and will buzz after a while, you will be force to raise your bridge. // 3

Overall Impression: I think that this guitar is good for beginners and has a reasonable price. It sounds very good and looks good, so if you have a band, it's good to start with. I love the sound of it, but it buzzes after a couple of months, and replacing the strings is crucial. There are better guitars them this, but you wont regret if you buy it. // 7

MAC-30 Reviewed by: wolfmanguitar10, on april 19, 2011

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: I dont remember the Year it was made. This was my first "real" guitar, I bought it in 2008. It has 24 Frets and unfortunately no one in the store could tell me the wood tybes. I think it has Rosewood fingerboard and Maple neck. The Finish is Silver with some painture fails -.- It has a Vintage-style Tremolo which I blocket because of double stop bendings (You will notice this after some times if you're a beginner). The trem doesn't stay in tune at all on my guitar and it was quite hard to dive. The guitar has a single Volume and a single tone + a good thing for a starter guitar, it has a split coil toggle. It has a 5-way switch. Pickups: No name pickups in a H-S-S configuration. It has bad Standard Aria( I hope because there's no name) tuners. They got pretty hard after a month! My guitar did just come with a whammy bar and a cable (which was given free from the store) // 5

Sound: For the price and my guitar experience I had back in 2008 it was a good guitar for every style. I practice Death metal songs with it and it's really good for the price. I got it hooked up to a Line 6 Spider IV or on my PC via plug ins. Sometimes I hook it up to a Bugera 333XL and it sounds mediocre for me, compared to a guitar with EMG etc. The single coil Pick ups are noisy when I play through an amp without noise gate (Roland Cube 30) The guitar fits every style from clean (the guitar has really good cleans) to shred / high gain. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I always let adjust the action to my porpuses in the store when I buy a new axe, so I didn't have Problems. Pickups were a bit to high for me, specially the middle pickup. The guitar has some flaws in the finish. And the metal of the screws etc is not the best the one on the jack input fell down once during a gig -.- Tuning pegs are to hard as I mentioned. You will notice that the guitar hasn't the best quality out there. You get what you pay for. // 3

Reliability & Durability: for live I've got one advice: Strap locking, and screw control! The hardware will last for about...I don't remember :) but after 3 weeks the input jack was loosen. And I take Care for my Guitars, every guitar I own is in a case and gets set up every week by me and every month by a pro ( a relative who works for the store where I bought the guitar so I've got free service there) // 1

Overall Impression: Overall if you're new into guitar and don't want to play on a 50$ Strat lookalike I recommend this guitar. I was watching on my budget back than (2008) I don't use this guitar for gigs anymore (since 1.5 years now :D ) for the price I paid I think you can a Jackson JS or an LTD maybe. This Aria mac30 ist the guitar that I mainly use at home or for band rehersals at school. I've got a Jackson and an Ibanez too, I use them for Gigs and for playing with higher end gear I own. // 4

MAC-30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2012

Features: No idea about the year, I think its a Japanese Guitar. It has 24xj frets and a rosewood fingerboard. It has a maple neck and a mahogany body. It looks suuuuper cool. It has a five way selector and master tone and volume. Pickup config is H-S-S. Tuners... Well later. Ask for a bag strap and 3 picks with it. Has a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: It can play almost any kind of music. I play rock to metal to heavy classic metal to thrash metal like Metallica and Megadeth. To AC/DC (well has a genre of its own). And it handles it pretty well. Get it with a Marshall MG15 and you're ready to rock 'n' roll! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action intonation pickup and neck were good. No shielding though. But that's good with me. The problem is that you've to tune it very often. Before every time you play it. So get a tuner. It'll help. Noisy pickup selector I should say not. But do check the guitar once at the shop from where you are buying it. Some shopkeepers are crooks. Otherwise a very good and reliable guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: AUTHENTIC JAPANESE QUALITY. Lasts long plays well. That don't mean that you don't have to take it to a shop once in a while. Go and the end of every six months. You know change strings polish fretboard clean the guitar in general. I played it for my first 2 guitar years. Then again I maintained it very well. // 8

Overall Impression: BEGINNER GUITAR NO. 1! Start with this and you could be the next Tony Iommi. So mess with the amp settings to get a good sound out of it and keep it safely. It is also a good intermediate guitar. Play it well and maintain it nicely and you can use it up to 2 years. Metal, rock, heavy metal, and any other genre of music that you can play on the guitar (yes those rowdy new metal boys too.) I'd buy it against any other Ibanez beginner guitar and Fender Strats and stuff also ESP M-10 and others. I wish it had a floyd rose to solve the tuning issue. // 9

MAC-30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2012

Purchased from: Internet

Features: Aria Mac-35 cutaway strattish guitar. Plum colour matt metallic. Made in China. It has an alder body and rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, 648mm scale, 24 frets, 2 single coil pups, 1 switchable bridge humbucker, tremolo unit. 5 way switchable, 1 volume, 1 tone, with 2 single coils 1 humbucker in bridge. Tuners a little basic but quite functional. Came without case or anything for that matter. Don't know the strings but they were very good. I will fit some Ernie Balls soon. // 8

Sound: Excellent straight rock guitar. Although the shape is a little Strat, the sound is different. Less Vintage sound, it's very clean and modern sounding. Considering the price the pups are very nice sounding except for the bridge Humbucher which I find a little thin without the depth we use humbuckers for. For Psychedelic Rock the neck pup is lovely. Giggable sound quality and quality. Modest single coil hum, may bother some. I'm used to it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action fantastic and low. Sleek, not too heavy. Most playable guitar I have played and I have a collection of 15 guitar. Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocasters, Hagstroms etc. Feels much better than my Les Paul copy. Of course to my ears the Teles and Strats sound better, but do not play anything like this baby. Never looked at electrics. Hardware and action perfect from start. Don't know if factory or retailer adjusted setup. Fantastic looking matt metallic colour. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Strap buttons very solid. Does not feel as chunky or durable as a Fender Stratocaster. Longevity debatable. Feels solid but is a very sleek sexy guitar and may not liked to be banged around. Paintwork would definitely not stand it and I don't know if this guitar would look good as a relic guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: If you like a guitar you can bend really effortlessly. You can reliably hammer without weight training your fingers. It has an easy, easy low action. Most genres of rock and blues, some genres of metal sound good. Worth having as a second gig guitar as it loves 60's and 70's style solos. Tremolo unit amazingly responsive, but does not hold tuning perfectly. I find tuning overly sensitive to temperature changes as well. My Japanese Stratocaster never seems to need tuning. Bought the Aria Mac-35 as a new bargain on eBay. Very smart looking though indeed. // 8

More Aria reviews rating category latest review
+ Conrad Les Paul 6.8 Electric Guitars 12/04/2013