PE-DLX-SD Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 07/14/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Aria: PE-DLX-SD
22 Frets Guitar with 3 way pickup selector, 2 Volume and 2 Tone Controls. Les Paul body style.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.4
reviews (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
PE-DLX-SD Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 07, 2003

Purchased from: Second Encore Music

Features: Made in 2001 in the US, 22 Frets, Solid Carved top, 3 way pickup selector, 2 Volume and 2 Tone Controls, H/H pickup configuration, HB-103N Duncun Design Humbucker and HB-103B Duncun Design Humbucker Flamed maple carved top, mahogany back, maple neck, rosewood finger board; Flamed maple, tobacco sunburst (finish not listed on Aria USA site), Les Paul body style, Stop tailpiece bridge, Non locking gotah tuners, Fat neck, Jumbo Frets, rosewood, Gold Hardware // 8

Sound: Well suited to Skynyrd & Allman Bro. music, as well as punk, metal, alt rock etc... not recommended for Ska or reggie. Amp: Fender Deluxe 165W tube amp, no effects. Very little feedback unless on high Drive settings (7+ reg, 5+ overdrive). Very rich sound, comparable to Les Paul Custom, for less $$$. Excellent harmonics, bright punchy players may want to look somewhere else. Love the full bodied sound, insain amount of sustain makes some riffs difficult, excellent Palm mute guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All factory settings excellent, only flaw is loose jack connection, very irritating when player moves around a lot. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All repairs done by myself. // 8

Overall Impression: I`ve been playing 2 years, now, I also own a stock peavy reactor and a heavly customized squire Strat, I have no regrets about buying this guitar, I would definitly buy this guitar again, im looking for another to customize, I love it for its rich, les paul like tone, and for a fraction of the cost, ive played my friends les paul, and comparibly, it has an almost indistinguishable tone, and is much lighter then the famous les paul, plays just as well too, a faster neck would be nice tho, all around an excellent guitar for those who want the sound and feel of a les paul, but dont want to shell out 1500+ dollars for one. // 10

PE-DLX-SD Reviewed by: Rictus23, on march 23, 2009

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: I tried finding my particular guitar on the net, but found little to no information. Made in Japan. It has 22 Jumbo frets, Rosewood. Great finish, a dark blue-green flamed maple with ivory colored binding. The body looks like a tele bred with a les paul. The bridge keeps pretty well, not too high, adjustable. It has 4 controls, 2 tone 2 volume, 3 way selector. Not sure of the pickup model, but they keep pretty great sound, especially with distortion. Tuners keep in tune ok, not the best I've seen. They tune drop D great. I recommend buying strap locks though, straps come off the bottom quite often. All in all a great looking guitar. // 9

Sound: I love playing metal on this thing. It has a deep dull kind of sound, but great resonance. The sustain seems like it goes on for days. Also great for Acoustic sound, even when unplugged. It has really dull, deep and chunky lows, soaring sharp highs. The pinch isn't as good as a Strat but they feel pretty good. It hums a bit more than other guitars, but that depends on the amp. Recommend a noise suppressor. Great for many styles, but definitely not a pop guitar. Perfect for metal and rock rhythm. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great. Really flows. The neck feels good, easy to play on. The pickups are adjusted pretty well. The only flaws on this guitar were user inflicted. The trim is applied flawlessly. The inlay looks great. The finish is insane, even on the back of the neck. The stock is functional, not too bulky, looks great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sounds awesome Live. Love the tone, sounds great with or without a pedal. Hardware's great, takes a little maintenance though. Strap buttons are a little problem, easily fixed with a cheap $2 strap lock. Very dependable, very reliable. Finish is great, holds up well, looks stunning. Only real big problem are the control nobs, they fall off often, I recommend replacing them, maybe with some more ornate nobs. Other than that very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, inlays and all. It's a piece of ART that sounds as good as it looks. My friends complement it each time they see it. I'd definitely buy another given the chance. If it were stolen I would hunt down and "persuade" them to return it. This beauty's best feature, must be a tie between the body finish and the tone. This is undoubtedly the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. An almost required buy to any guitar player, collector, or enthusiast. // 10

PE-DLX-SD Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn Shop (of all places!)

Features: This is actually an Aria PE DLX 2. I bought it a few months back from a pawn shop. Made (I think) in City of Industry, Calif. in their "lab" before Aria shifted factory work to Japan. PE-II is supposed to be a prototype, not many made, they tried various styles before deciding on production models. Almost impossible to get any information on this model...really hard to find anything. Nice double/triple binding all over. Binding/knob covers have yellowed so maybe early 70's. "Duncan-designed" pickups. The tone knobs could be a little more finely calibrated. Gold tuners with pearloid heads stay in tune for me as well as my 335 even after lots of bending. This Aria has a bolt-on neck, which is weird but then again it was a test model. Gibson-style bridge with height adjusters. Rosewood fretboard, nice frets, MOP inlaid blocks. Can't tell about the other wood. Very low action with no buzz. Best part: it's a lot, lot lighter than a LP. You can appreciate that if you are wearing a LP 3-4 hours at a time. My other electric is a Gibson 1973 ES 335 TD but it seems now I always pick up the Aria first. OK,the investment value may not be the same as the LP or the 335 in 20 years but hey, this thing really plays well and I have no regrets at all.In fact I think I was lucky. // 9

Sound: Suits my styles: jazz, rock, and country rock, a la Los Angeles 70's material. The pickups allow for a lot of flexibility and if I run this through a Pignose and then a Twin the distortion comes naturally and is very adjustable rom the guitar. Used 90 percent of the time with one amp only: 1965 Twin. Sound is well balanced, depends on how you set the pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything I can see or hear is fine. It appears to really be an attempt to make a Precision instrument. No cut corners. Book matched top, bridge correct, bone nut and bridge saddle obviously set by someone who takes pride in their work. No loose controls or jack nut. The high gloss finish is holding up very well, wipes clean easily, which is more than I can say for some of my other ones. Tuners might be 16:1; they are real sharp but could be a bit tighter for my taste. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, will stand up to live work, hardware not wearing much after these years, gold losing a little of the plating, seems a little faded in some areas, but common to most guitars and not noticeable unless you really look for it. Strap buttons solid. Dependable, trustworthy on stage so far, but I always bring a backup anyway, and always have (except for the time when I could not afford a backup)... // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing and gigging, off and on, for 35+ years and I NEVER would have dreamed buying an Aria electric guitar. I still don't know why I did it, but now I'm glad I did. Gut feeling, I guess. My favorite feature about this PE DLX 2 is the light weight. If stolen I doubt I would find this for $250.00. And I might add a Bigsby, but that's it. // 9

More Aria reviews rating category latest review
+ Pro II ST600 6.8 Electric Guitars 08/26/2014