STHBK Review

- Strap
- Bag
- Lead
- Picks

Also comes with G4 online guitar lessons. And a free lesson from a real tutor.

I bought this guitar pack at around January this year, I wanted to start electric guitar but because I was on a budget, I needed to find a good quality guitar at a lower cost. The pickups are S-S-H, like a superstrat, and are made by Wilkinson. It has a basswood body so it is suited to many styles of music. // 10

Sound: It has two single coils and a humbucker made by Wilkinson. It also has two tone knobs and a volume knob, as well as a 5 way pickup switch. This guitar does come with a tremolo, but is disappointing as I will explain. The sound that this guitar gives off changes dramatically between different pickup combinations. My main genre is metal, and I find that only the humbucker can provide that sound, the other pickups should only be used on the clean channel of your amp, as the buzz is very loud on the distortion channel. The tone knobs have a little effect. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The look of the guitar is very pleasant, it has the classic strat shape with a 6 in a line headstock. I have bumped the guitar on many surfaces, yet it hasn't cracked at all, the finish is a pure black look. The action was pretty standard, I lowered them a little as it took a bit too much effort to push down onto each string. The truss rod was already set up fine, although you might have to adjust it a little if using a higher gauge string. Pickups were pretty high and I had to lower them. The plastic knob of my 5-way switch fell off. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The downfall of the guitar comes to the reliability and durability, the guitar has a tremolo that is practically useless unless you want to let your guitar detune. Even a little tap or so on the tremolo causes the higher strings to go out of tune, this could be because the tuning pegs slip or the bridge is not of the highest quality. Upon unscrewing the guitar my tremolo bar actually snapped off, leaving part of the metal stuck in the bridge. Artist Guitars gladly replaced my guitar without any hesitation. Overall, this guitar is very good for the price, but still has some small problems. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for anyone starting off, and for about $40 more you can get the pack which comes with an amp. I have been playing for half a year with this guitar and it sounds pretty decent on my Vypyr 75. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again, as I would move on to a more expensive and higher quality guitar. For the same price there aren't many guitars that are full sized, and this one had just the best value. For the price of this guitar I would recommend it to everyone for their first guitar, as it had many different sounds it can make and lets you choose your style that you like. // 7

More Artist reviews rating category latest review
+ LP60 8.8 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014