Limited Edition Series Review

Artist Series Guitar: Limited Edition Series
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (7) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Limited Edition Series Featured review by: UG Team, on january 18, 2011

Features: The Artist Series Guitar Limited Edition Series guitars are exactly that: a limited-edition singlecut, Les Paul-style guitar, available exclusively through ArtistSeriesGuitar.com. This guitar, offered in one of several limited ART packages, features the following specs, taken straight from the website:

Solid mahogany body with traditional weight relief
Set mahogany neck with rounded profile
24-3/4 scale length
Satin black finish on back, sides, neck and headstock
Dual Coil, ASG humbuckers
2 volume controls, 2 tones, 3-way toggle switch
Black matte, ASG hardware
Single-ply cream binding on top

The guitar feels very lightweight, with high-quality craftsmanship and attention to detail. Clearly taking some cues from the ESP Eclipse and LTD EC-1000 guitars, this is a shredder for the player who prefers singlecut guitars. There are Standard volume and tone knobs for each humbucker, making it easy to dial in for any experienced player. The guitar comes in a hardshell case with the Artist Series Guitar logo emblazoned on it. // 10

Sound: Thick, full-bodied, mahogany Les Paul tone all the way. It was surprising to hear such a light guitar create such a dense sound from either pickup, and regardless of where the toggle switch was set, the guitar cleaned up very nicely when dialing back the volume and tone knobs. While experienced players tend to be suspicious of new pickups, the ASG humbuckers sound crisp and full at the same time. It would be nice to offer coil-splitting as well, to offer more realistic Strat and Tele tones as well, but this pickup and control layout is quite typical for singlecut guitars.

Set to the bridge pickup, the guitar featured a very sharp attack, and every string could be heard even on high-gain power chords. Set to the neck pickup, the guitar had a deep, low, voluminous sound, providing the best of what a singlecut guitar can do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived already setup very well for Standard tuning, with a .10 gauge set of D'Addario XL strings. The action and the pickup heights are all carefully dialed-in, and the instrument is essentially ready to plug-n-play.

The satin finish is smooth and plays very fast, clearly meant for shredding or fast chord changes. A nice feature is the matte hardware throughout, which should show less dirt and wear over time, and gives the same smooth feeling to the entire guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The matte-finish ASG hardware used on the guitar feels solid and easy to maintain, and the tuners have a smooth and flawless motion to them. The frets are big and the fretboard and neck all feel solid and smooth. The guitar looks as reliable as any major-label guitar available today. The inclusion of a custom hardshell case is a critical and welcome feature as well. // 10

Overall Impression: These are very reasonably-priced, feature-rich guitars, with great tone and very unique, metal-oriented custom artwork. They feature rich, rosewood fretboards with nice inlay work, and they play and sound very well right out of the box. These easily stand up to any other Les Paul-inspired guitar, and due to the limited nature of each artistic run, you're virtually guaranteed to stand apart when you take the stage. // 9

- Shekhar Dhupelia (c) 2011

Limited Edition Series Reviewed by: Velcro Man, on february 25, 2014

Features: To start out, let me explain; I recently entered a contest right here on UG to tell the story of how you first discovered Motorhead (too lazy to use umlauts) and the randomly chosen winner would win an ASG Motorhead Tribute guitar valued at $650. Apparently you were allowed to enter as many times as you wanted... and I entered once, one guy spammed at least 1/4 of the total entries, gotta love karma! I'm going to try to be absolutely neutral and cynical, I think that's the most respectful way to honor UG for giving such a gift to give a proper review not clouded by (CAN'T BEAT FREE... which is true, I absolutely love it).

Apparently this was a prototype of the official 1/100 run which means it came with mostly the same things, but the fretboard, headstock and bridge are different. The final product had a spade on the headstock, Kluson-style tuners, Graph Tech nut rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl block inlays, custom Snaggletooth + Motorhead logo paint job on the body with a tune-o-matic bridge and ASG pickups.

The prototype I received doesn't has the inlay on the headstock, the fretboard is an all mirror black material that I'm not sure of, pretty sure it has the graph tech nut, same special graphic and what seems to be a Tone Pros bridge with covered ASG pickups. I actually prefer it like this, always loved fretboards without inlays, having a far more limited version of an already limited (1/100) guitar doesn't hurt either. If you were to buy it new (no longer available, they sold out FAST) you had the option to upgrade the pickups, but I can't see much of a point in doing so, unless you have a favorite sound and want it to sound like any other guitar.

Overall, it's very basic, but done right, the tuners stay in tune (though they seem more sensitive than those high ratio 18:1 or whatever grovers) damn well, extra-jumbo frets are easy to play. Just think any basic, decent Les Paul style guitar. I'm not sure of the woods, I remember mahogany, but I'm one of those people that believes in the scientific method and not mythology+ the placebo effect, so I'm just gonna say wood is irrelevant and leave it at that. Feel free to tell me the story of that time you compared a Gibson and an Epiphone and you could totally hear the tones of the wood. It was made in Korea, but customized in California. // 8

Sound: I can see it fitting most styles pretty damn well, I play...pretty much anything, so what I like is a bit of diversity, and these pickups do a pretty damn good job of that. The bridge pickup is quite hot, bright and articulate, which is what I want out of a bridge pickups, can't beat the clarity it gives with chugging and power chords. If you clean it up, it gets as twangy as a humbucker can, I really wish they included a coil-splitting option.

The neck humbucker is fairly hot itself, but it has a nice, fat PAF kinda sound, great for leads. This is where I really dig this guitar, most guitars tend to have pickups that are basically the same, Evos and EMG 81 + 85 for instance, both different, but very similar, this guitar goes either clear and sharp or fat and smooth, which is always what I want out of a guitar, I like it to play as eclectically as me. I've only really had a chance to play it through a little Marshall MS-2 micro-amp (no other amp at the moment, financial issues) but it sounds a lot better that my Epiphone Explorer. If ASG were to include coil-splitting options, this would be the most diverse guitar I've ever seen. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This I can't judge too much, I received the guitar with a severely bent neck, but it traveled from California with their 70 degree weather and dry humidity to the absolute frigid hell that has been the midwest. I think it was about 10 F/-12 C the day I got it and it had been colder; there's no way a guitar without a graphite reinforced neck could withstand such a journey without needing attention. I tightened the truss rod and now it plays like butter, haven't really tested the intonation to make it completely exact, but it sounds perfectly intonated to my humble ears. Considering the owner of the company plays every guitar to check the quality before it's sold, I assume they all come set-up and ready out of the box.

The D'addario strings were a nice touch as well. The only criticism I have for the finish is that the binding around the outside was pretty shoddy from the paint on the back, seems like they painted the back AFTER binding, so little bits got smudged here and there. The neck binding had similar issues, looks like a bit of glue got smudged onto the binding where the neck was glued in and there is some cracking up and down both sides, but I shall attribute that to the neck bending and frigid cold. Other than that, the craftsmanship seems pretty fair for the price point. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Too new to really judge this very much, but I can't imagine it having any problems any other guitar would have, being a Les Paul shape, the only real danger I could see would be with the headstock, but try to avoid dropping your guitar onto the headstock or smashing it into walls and it should be fine. Finish seems nice, but I still wouldn't recommend heavily gigging any kind of collectors guitars, everything wears over time and that kind of defeats the purpose. If you're gentle, play it at home to avoid accidents, but if you're not paranoid and don't care to get typical wear and tear, it should hold up great. The hardware is superb, so if you want to get technical, just research the reliability of Tone Pros, Graph Tech and Kluson tuners, you're unlikely to be disappointed. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, it plays all styles of music, but the bridge pickup seems excellent for Motorhead style playing, thrash and even punk. I've been playing for 6-7 years, owned a lot of guitars, played even more and I can't really see many things beating it, but I am highly skeptical of any guitar over $700, as long as it has good hardware (which this does) you'll have a guitar that you can rely on, anything else is purely aesthetic... and ASG sell fully customized finishes. If you like Les Paul shapes and have always wanted to make your own artwork for a guitar, I HIGHLY recommend ASG, they also sell plain colors for cheaper, but c'mon, if you're gonna go with this company, be bold and make a guitar that will stand out.

I think they also offer SG shapes, but I'm not sure. If they offered other shapes, especially strats and super strats, I'd buy an ASG for sure, I've had a few ideas for tribute paintjobs, but never seen a company that sold such at affordable prices. Gibson-style shapes tend to turn me off, but that's absolutely subjective. I highly recommend the company if you want an LP with any graphic you can dream of. // 9

Comments