AEX 250 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 01/04/2006 category: Electric Guitars
 5.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
AEX 250 Reviewed by: loop-de-luke, on january 04, 2006

Features: I'm not sure where the guitar was made, but I bought it new and apparently it was the last one of its kind. It's 24 frets of rosewood with a solid black finish with white/cream binding body. The body shape is a kind of star shape, but with an alteration to the front arm and came built with a floyd rose tremolo and locking system. The pickups are Ashton humbuckers and has a volume knob, tone knob and a 3-way selector. It came with it's original Case (not a hard case), Allen-key and tremolo arm (screw on). // 8

Sound: The guitar has a reasonably wide variety of sound (from warm and deep to almost twangy, but doesn't get too twangy). I have a DigiTech RP50 and a few Boss pedals that I use with the guitar. The humbuckers are great because they make no background noise at all, the only downside is that the screws fall out sometimes causing the pickup(s) to fall forward. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The floyd rose was set to default floating (so it can go backwards and forwards) but when I took it home the bridge was forward way too much and whenever I tried tuning it it came forward more, so I took it back and they adjusted it right. Later on I decided to get it blocked with wood to improve its tuning stability. The bass pickup eventually sunk into the body somehow (without the screw coming out) which I had to get fixed. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The finish on the guitar is solid and durable, but with the pointy tips it chips easily. The strap buttons are solid, but they get loose sometimes. I've used the guitar live many times and it's great, and I plan to use it many more times. Sometimes when I hold it standing on the ground I hear it crack/creak a little which worries me, but that doesn't seem to have done anything to it. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for around 5 years now and this is my second guitar (next to my first Hondo Strat style guitar). I play rock, metal and some blues, my main influence is Silverchair, The White Stripes and Metallica (and many more bands too) and this guitar suits it all (except maybe the blues! When I bought the guitar I had little knowledge of what to look for and didn't compare it to anything, but I probably would've bought it today anyway. The only thing I would change about it would be maybe the pickups and the neck inlays (they look a bit dodgy up close, they have clear stuff around the actual picture and look like stickers even though they aren't). // 8

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012