AG 131 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 05/29/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ashton: AG 131
The AG 131's body is crafted from solid Basswood, which makes for magical tone. Simply designed and put together to last, the AG 131 features solid chrome hardware, durable supertone pickups (2 single, 1 humbucker) with 5-way switching plus a BS010 tremolo system so you can bend the edges when you need to.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 7.5
reviews (8) pictures (4) 22 comments vote for this gear:
AG 131 Reviewed by: kennykenny, on january 18, 2008

Purchased from: MusicWorks

Features: First and foremost, this guitar is a beginner guitar, so I'm not going to moan about how bad it is compared to expensive guitars. This guitar fetches godd value for a great price. I think my one's a 1998 model, though not sure. 22 frets, rosewood fretboard with maple neck. A solid basswood body with a cool finish. You can choose from a variety of colours. It has a Strat body style and a string through body. It includes 2 tone knobs and a volume knob, and also a handy 5-way selector. Pickup configuration is a humbucker and 2 single coils, I'm not sure about the brand though. Also sports a useful in-built tuner, an Ashton one. The guitar is usually included in the AG131 starter pack, which also includes a gig bag, strap, dvd, spare strings, tremolo bar, and a 10 watt practise amp, wich until recently has been an ancient artefact from 20 years ago, until they threw in a new one. About time. // 9

Sound: I usually play rock/metal music, and it suits that style quite well. It can handle distortion very well, thanks to a quality humbucker. I am using a Ibanez 19 watt amp, and it works fine, except the cable it came with is a toy, and will almost certainly start crackling in your first few months. With a new cable, I could use it to its full potential, and it makes a nice, bright sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well. I've had this guitar for two years now, and it's not even beginning to show any signs of strain or damage whatsoever. This guitar will last for years and years. The pickups, especially the humbucker, jiggle a bit, but it doesn't affect the sound. The finish is great, with not a single scratch, and if you give it a bit of a polish, it looks as new. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would do well at small gigs (remember, it is a beginner guitar), however at large ones you really need to invest in a professionally used guitar. The hardware is great, as is the finish. The strap buttons are a bit small for the strap it comes with. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal. This guitar has suited those styles without a problem. I have been playing for 2 years, and this guitar has been perfect. I wouldn't buy this again, because I'll need a better guitar suited to my needs. I love the ease of use and durability of this guitar, though pickups could be better installed, and a better amp could come with it. Beginners, I strongly recommend this guitar, as you will enjoy its duarability and good quality. // 8

AG 131 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2010

Price paid: A$ 199

Purchased from: Music Works

Features: I bought this starter pack about 5 years ago, guitar, 10watt amp, lead, strap, picks, spare strings, Rockhouse instructional DVD and a soft guitar bag. The guitar is a Strat style lefty in black, string through body with a humbucker style pickup at the bridge and 2 singles. The guitar is good, the lead didn't work so Music Works gave me a better lead as a replacement then the amp died after a month and they replaced it, Music Works were great to deal with. My advice is throw away the lead, strap and strings and buy some better quality ones, Ernie Ball Super Slinky's sound great on the Ashton. These are all things you would replace anyway. With good strings you will notice instantly an improvement in sound quality. // 5

Sound: Rock and Metal and it does both well. I now use a Marshall MG amp, Boss overdrive and blues pedals, and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, the Ashton works well with all, it likes to get dirty. My advice is throw away the lead, strap and strings and buy some better quality ones, Ernie Ball Super Slinky's sound great on the Ashton. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the box it played well, good fit and finish, the sound was good. Keep your tool kit handy, you will need to tighten everything up regularly, keep the strap buttons screwed tight "I had to glue my front one" Get a good strap, lead and strings, keep everything tight and this guitar will last at least 5 years. This is a learner guitar not a live performance guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this guitar live. Keep your tool kit handy, you will need to tighten everything up regularly, keep the strap buttons screwed tight "I had to glue my front one" Get a good strap, lead and strings, keep everything tight and this guitar will last at least 5 years. This is a learner guitar not a live performance guitar. The finish is still great after 5 years. // 5

Overall Impression: Rock and Metal is well suited to this guitar, but you could play any style with it. I've been learning for 5 years, I now have a Schecter Devil, Dean Razorback and an Epiphone G400, but I still play the Ashton most days "it is my learning guitar". If you are a learner I recommend you consider this guitar, it is good value. The DVD is a great instructional kick start to help you learn to play. // 7

AG 131 Reviewed by: demez, on july 08, 2005

Purchased from: Easdens Music

Features: I'm not sure excactly when this guitar was made, but it was made in Vietnam. 24 frets. I got mine in a sunburst colour and it lookes wicked. The body style is in the way of a Strat and very comfertable. Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume coontrol, 2 tones, 3-way selector. It comes with a big metal whammy bar for all your whammying needs. // 6

Sound: I play classic rock (Stones, The Who) and hard rock (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC) and it doesn't really suit that type of music as much as a Strat copy probebly should. I only use a distortion occasionly with this guitar and it holds up pretty good you can really shred with this one. It doesn't have a high amount of buzz only when you get up to about the 18th fret. It can make a nice base sound with the right settings and is perfect for a rhythm guitarist. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I saw it and bought it at the store everything was perfect I havnt needed to adjust the pickups in 4 years. The only problem is the 3-way selector falls off really easily, nothing a little bit of superglue doesn't fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You could play this guitar live if need be, best for a practice and back-up I think. All the hardware has kept in tact and screwed down tightly. And the strap buttons have been great, I haven't needed to tighten them and they have stood the test. The finish is very easily stratched but you can't didn't the bugga its toughas nuts. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard/classic rock and it is not suited for the lead possition. I have been playing for 6 years. If it was stolen I would decapitate the theif and get it back. I love the look of the guitar, it's so plain, it's beautiful. I would like the pickups to be of better quality, but you get what you pay for. // 8

AG 131 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2005

Purchased from: greens

Features: This is a extremely beginner guitar. But for the price it is good. Very good. the humbucker has got a large out put and is heaps loud but the single coils just suck. they really suck. I've compared it to strats and other Strat copies and these are the worst single coils I've played. that said the humbucker is good. it has a very clear and distorted sound. Tune-O-Matic bridge the doesn't hold the best tune. after about 1/2 a hour it falls out of tune. Tremolo is good for what it's worth. // 6

Sound: Loud humbucker. Good loud distorted humbucker. S--t single coils. But the humbucker suits every thing I play well (anywhere from Grinspoon to AFI to Funeral For A Friend, mostly punk though, good punk). Handles drop D flat rather well. I love the sound of exposed humbuckers over lp style covered buckers. My friend's got a J&D Luthiers Les Paul Copy (built in the same factory only thing different from a Epiphone is the head stock) and I prefer the humbucker because the suit my style of music. Great for rise against style stuff. Right now I'm using it thru an Ashton practice amp with a DS-1 and a Ibanez SH-7. Sounds good overall. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Bad. Bad. Pickups way too low (but that's just preferance). Input was f--ked. Needed resoldering just to work right. We'll leave it at that. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Used it for a gig. It survived. This was before I resoldered the input and it was screwed. It pretty much broke a couple of days after the gig (note we had been playing all weekend before the gig, just jamming so that probably broke it). The finish is good. Doesn't wear or fade (black). Strap buttons are rock solid. Jumping around like and idiot I broke my strap (s--tty Ashton one, now upgraded toa awesome expensive one). // 6

Overall Impression: Good. Sort of. Maybe not. I've had this for 6 months and I'm already upgrading to a Ibanez artcore (bit odd for punk but they are great guitars) because it looks cheap. Being black it doesn't exactly light up when you hit the stage. It's good for a practice guitar but a stage guitar? No. Enjoy at home. // 8

AG 131 Reviewed by: *'-'*, on november 09, 2005

Purchased from: Totally Music

Sound: I think that this guitar is well suited to most music styles. It sounds fine clean and distorted. It has good sustain and a rich full sound. The worst thing about it is that it is difficult to get natural harmonics going. I am yet to use this guitar in a performance situation, but having seen others use the same model, it is probably best suited to small gigs only (no stadiums, etc). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was so easy to pick up and play. The guitar was set up excellently and the pickups were well adjusted. The bridge is properly routed and the top was well bookmatched (although slighty darker). The guitar contains no fatal flaws, but the second tone knob is quite hard to turn. The tuning stability of this thing is excellent. I have only had to tune it once in the 6 months I've had it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this axe live unless I truly had to, but hey, it cost $300 dollars. The strap buttons are solid, but they are too small for the strap that came with the guitar. If I was gigging with this guitar, I would use it without a backup confidently, as it is yet to give me any trouble. The finish was good when I purchased the guitar, but a lack of TLC seems have degraded the finish somewhat. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is at its best when distorted, and when I play punk and metal it is truly at home. I've been playing 6 months and the only gear I have is this guitar, and its accessories. I didn't ask a thing before ordering this guitar in, as my friend already had one, and I'd played it. If it was stolen or lost, I would wonder where I could lose a guitar, or ask my insurance broker to bridge the void between my hands. I love this guitar full-stop and I only hate that it doesn't have a cooler shape. This was the cheapest guitar out there, and definately the best value. So to all you beginners in the Land Down Under, buy this freakin' guitar! // 9

AG 131 Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on january 11, 2006

Purchased from: Beggs Music Store

Features: It was made in Australia, I think it's a 1997 but I'm not sure as I no longer own it. It came in a starter pack and it is a strat-style guitar. 22 frets, green woody finish, made of crappy ash wood. It had a strange stock bridge with a useless vibrato system that would bend strings out of tune every time I used it. 5 way selector Switch, and a volume and tone control. Useless stock pickups with non-locking tuners. Came with an Ashton GA10 Amp a gig bag and a useless cable that always breaks. A good guitar for beginners but not good for soloing or any kind of lead work. // 5

Sound: It didn't suit my style (rock back then) at all as the pickups couldn't handle the level of distortion I needed. I used it with a GA10 and a DigiTech Grunge pedal. The guitar can make lots of sounds if you work hard but a lot of playing around with amp settings is required and with a small amp this is not really an option. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was average as were the pickups. All of the hardware and electronics was stock and the neck was very loose as was the output socket. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstood one gig but the neck was so screwed by then that I messed up the intro solo to 'Paradise City'. The strap buttons did not hold the strap very well and the finish had like 10 scratches in it by the time I got it home from the store. // 3

Overall Impression: I don't own it anymore but basically I wish I had tried it and the amp out first or saved more money and got some decent gear (which I have now). Not really a very good guitar. // 6

AG 131 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar World, WA

Sound: I prefer Metallica styled music. This guitar on its own is satisfactory for some Metallica songs. I now run it through a Zoom 505II multi effects pedal and the Ashton amp that came with it and now it sounds near perfect for songs like Bad Seed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up near perfect from the factory, the action was just right along with the pickup adjustment, however the pickups were slightly loose, but who cares. One of the tone knobs was a bit hard to turn but thats because it was too close to the body. This was very easily fixed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hardware seems like it could outlast the player. the strap buttons were fair but are a bit too small for the strap that comes with it. Seems dependable, most likely use it at gig without a backup. Finish is pretty damn good. I've bashed it pretty good and so far I've only scratched a small amount of finish off ( about the size of an 'o'). // 8

Overall Impression: as I said before I like metallica and this guitar seems pretty good for their kind of music when it's used with my Zoom 505 II. I've only been playing for about 1 year and this guitar is still like new. Doesn't look too bad either. Awesome beginer to intermediate guitar. // 9

AG 131 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 29, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: First and foremost, I'm a Luthier. This is an older model. I think it's 2004. It is Strat style and has 22 frets. The body is basswood, the neck is hard maple with a rosewood fretboard and it's very well made. The pick up arrangement is H-S-S, with one volume, two tone controls and a five way selector switch. The colour is Midnight Blue and the finish is excellent, it's as tough as nails. Standard tremolo bridge, the same as you get on all Strat copies. The tuners are standard and stay in tune well, even when bending strings, which is quite odd for a cheap model of guitar. // 8

Sound: This guitar is good for country, blues and rock music. It covers all tastes. As you can probably tell, I'm a seasoned player, not a spotty little inexperienced teenager who doesn't have a clue what he's on about. You could use effects, but this guitar sounds great when clean. I did put it through my Line6 pod and it really came to life. But, all in all, you really don`t need to plug it in anything other than an amp. The pick-ups are very powerful and have a smooth sound. Playing with the tone knobs gives great results. Most people just turn the volume and tone all the way up and play. That philosophy beats me. Some people buy a Les Paul because they want to sound like Slash. They get a shock when they realise they sound the same as they did with a cheap guitar. If Slash got hold of your 20 dollar guitar, guess what, he would sound like Slash. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was only used a few times by the last owner. The action was as usual. Strings were approximately 5-6mm from the fretboard. I soon sorted that out. Although, action doesn't really mean anything. It all depends on how you like it. Some people like high, others like low. The neck is straight as an arrow, with perfect relief. I lowered the action right down and there was no string buzz at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is as solid as a rock. I would put it on par with Epiphone, Squier etc. The paintwork is tough as old boots. The hardware is, well it's hardware, the same as any other guitar in this price range. This guitar would easily withstand live playing. The only thing you need to change is the tuners unless you use 9's. Like I said earlier, it`s built to last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play, country, folk, blues, blues-rock and rock. Basically, I play all kinds of music. I have been playing for 28 years. I own a USA Strat, a Mexican Tele, a Vintage AV6HGW, a 1988 Encore (as good as a Mexican Strat) and now this one. If it were stolen, I would be p-ssed off. It's a good guitar, I would buy one again. // 8

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 132 8.2 Electric Guitars 01/18/2012