AG 132 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 01/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ashton: AG 132
Designed with the same attention to quality and simplicity as the Ashton AG 131, the AG 132 is a nicely shaped instrument with a sound to match. Made from the same Agathis body for great tone response at the high and low ends, the AG 132 has a look of it own with the addition of a vintage-style white pick guard and matching control knobs.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.2
 8.6
 7.8
reviews (2) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
AG 132 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Features: Ashton is a value-for-money guitar company based in Australia, and of course its aims are to provide a decent, durable, and effective guitar at a budget price. Although priced at $229 (on its own), this guitar has served me well. The AG 132 is a Fender Stratocaster copy, but its body is an Agathis Shape (you will notice that the bottom of the body is more rounded off than the Stratocaster). It has a 22 fret maple neck, with Die-Cast machine heads. It features two single-coil pickups, and one Supertone humbucker. It has a 5 way Switch with three control knobs: volume/tone/tone. The guitar is made of solid tone wood (hence the cheap price), and the fingerboard is rosewood. As I mentioned in the price paid section, I bought this guitar in a starters pack for $289 AU, it came with a practice amplifier, a gig-bag, a tremolo arm, a Guitar lessons CD, a strap, a pick, and a lead. // 8

Sound: The sound was awesome when I first bought it. With the amplifier it came with, it sounded pretty decent for a cheap sub-$300 guitar, but unfortunately, I encountered problems with the pickups later on in its life. The treble is awesome, I would rate it 10/10 for treble, and the bass is over average, not excellent 8/10. However, the one criticism I have when you change between treble and bass, is the lack of tone. If you play on bass for a while, then change to treble, your treble will sound a bit dull toned for a short duration. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish of the guitar is pretty good. As I said, it is a Strat copy, but this Ashton doesn't look as exact as the Strat. Other brands have made better copies. I would describe the look as a mixture of a PRS SE EG body + the headstock of an Ibanez guitar (the Wizardstriker look). I personally thought that the Vintage Sunburst Finish was exceptionally good, as well as the other colours available (trans red, trans blue, black). The only flaws in this guitar (I don't know if it applies to anyone else who owned one), was that the port where the lead is inserted caused troubles with the pickup system and electronics. I had problems where the little nuts and bolts of the port became loose, and hence the wires to the pickups became loose, and so the pickups stopped working. I then sent it to a Guitar Luthier to get it checked up, and he didn't do much to help it except he cut the pickup wires a bit short, and in fact degraded the sound quality. Apart from this (I'm sure that it was just my guitar that was unlucky), awesome action, fit, and finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware doesn't seem like it will last long. As I said, who will ever use a $229 AU guitar as their prime instrument, while there are many other options way above the calibre of the Ashton? This guitar is awesome for beginners, as it only lasted me 1-2 years (I am still using it, but I am planning to buy a decent one with better lastability). However, reliability is an issue (like I said, I just think that I have been unlucky with my guitar). Durability is exceptionally good. I've dropped it several times off the guitar stand, and on hard surfaces, and the guitar has had no scratches or markings from it. // 8

Overall Impression: On the final note: Ashton is a budget guitar company, and of all of the budget guitar companies, I'd rate Ashton as the best as it provides the basics and the all-roundness a beginner's guitar requires. This guitar, in my opinion, would be rated just as good as the Squier Bullet. For any guitar beginners out there, buy an Ashton AG 132 for your first two years of guitaring, and if you like guitaring, drop it down, and purchase a more reliable, and decent guitar afterward. // 8

AG 132 Reviewed by: iluvsushi2650, on january 18, 2012

Price paid: A$ 210

Purchased from: Rockshop

Features: - 22 frets - Solid top - Mahogany neck - Strat style body - Body color's sunburst - Has a tuner, Volume, Tone, 5 way togggle - Came with gig bag, strap, cable, amp, 3 plectrums and extra strings. It's like those beginner starter packs. // 10

Sound: I play blues/rock, it's great for those music styles. It's great with a lot of genres but I don't think it's very suitable to play metal. I'm using the amp that came with it, it's a very good guitar, great with or without distortion. Has a full sound and you can change the sounds on the guitar or amp to suit your style. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Great finish. Nothing to complain about it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for playing live, it's quite durable. The strap buttons get pretty loose. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years (still a noob). If it was stolen I wouldn't really mind, but I would still get really pissed. I love how the neck is so comfortable to play. I've had this guitar for 2 years now and the input got loose but was easily fixed. It's a great starter guitar. // 8

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012