AG 180 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 02/27/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ashton: AG 180
The solid swamp ash body and maple neck combine to produce a mighty tone from a surprisingly light guitar. 5 way switching between 2 Supertone humbuckers and a single coil pickup allows a mix of sounds to choose from, and a BS010 tremolo system adds extra flexibility to your playing.
 6.3
 6.4
 6.2
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
AG 180 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Features: Manufactured in Vietnam, the guitar has a similar body shape as a Strat, it is however tapered off more around the edges and I find it more comfortable too play. No pickgaurd. The Neck is Rosewood 22 fret. The finish is a cool shade of dark brown that appears purple in strong light. Hardware - wise it features a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils both passive. (Yamaha Pacifica style) One volume, one tone, five-way selector Switch. The bridge is a fulcrum point trem. I. e not a floyd or fixed bridge. The bridge design I have not seen on any other guitar so far, asthetically it is good. The tuners are 6 a side with no brand marked. // 8

Sound: The guitar has a bright thrashy tone that suits rock metal very well in the bridge pickup position. The middle and neck pickups are not of a high standard and unfortunatley can sound 'thin' depending on what your playing. The guitar doesnt have huge amounts of signal noise. However it is an entry-level guitar so you must expect some. It is always silent on the humbucker pickup however. In short this guitar would suit rock, metal & punk the best. I suppose you could play a bit of blues as well but you could find a better guitar for that. It suits my music interests fine (Metal/Thrash) so I don't have a problem with it. You may find its upper pickups limiting depending on what you want to get out of it tone-wise. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Now here is where the guitar comes into it's own. The action and playability of this guitar make you wonder if the price is correct. I have set it up fairly low with 46-9 strings. I am unsure of what the scale length is, but bends are very easy too execute (not just because of the strings either, I was previously running 52-10s.) The curve in the neck suits me down too the ground, although this is a matter of personal taste, so you will have too make your own decision. The Whammy bar is only effective on dropping pitch due too the design of this bridge. You could set this up with a higher action and loosen the bridge's spring tension too raise pitch with this bridge, but you'd be better off getting a guitar with a floyd rose bridge for that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned the body is Strat shaped, but it noticably smaller. I find it very easy too play for long periods standing up. The guitar is very well balanced. I do play gigs with this guitar, however I own more than one electric so if any problems did occur it would not be a huge drama. Although as a I mentioned the manufacture of this guitar is excellent - I doubt you would have any problems with it. In short I would take this guitar too a gig without backup. The general manufacture and finish of this guitar is excellent and is amoungst the best I saw in this price bracket. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar could greatly benefit from having two humbuckers instead of the humbucker and 2singles setup it has now. My faveroute feature would be the shape of the body and the low action. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again, I'd just smash the bloke who stole it and keep playing. But if I lost it I probably wouldnt buy the same guitar principally because I'd like too try something new and probably in a higher price bracket. Eventually I'd like too do a custom setup on this guitar with new pickups and all new hardware for a better sound at high volumes. I run this guitar through a 100W combo occasionally with a DigiTech RP50 (the review is not based upon sound quality with effects however. Assume all comments based on dry guitar with distortion.) // 8

AG 180 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2005

Purchased from: musicians avenue

Features: Purchased in 2003, made in Vietnam. Not sure about the year though. 21 frets. Solid top. The neck is rosewood. But sure bout the body. The neck though, I had the normal strings which were 9s replaces with 11s and the neck started to bend. I can't even adjust the tension, because the truss rod won't even fit inside. The string trees on the head eventual flew off because of the strings gauge, and I had to replace them. So don't use 11s or higher on your Ashton. Also the action was a bit too high, and I couldn't lower it either, because it would buzz. Strat body with black finish with white pickguard. I found that original strings that it came with, the bottom E string would never be tuned properly. But that was fixed with I replaced the strings. The pickups are crap and so was humbucker. They buzz, distort and give off too much feedback at high sound levels. So it's best to play them at low level. Too much bass on neck pick up. Came with lead cable, picks, and amp. // 4

Sound: Well. metal and rock I guess. But seeing as how I don't play either. Using a Roland GC-405. It's very loud but a bad kind of loud. There doesn't seem like there is much to be done with this guitar in terms of sound. I'd definitely get the neck and pick ups replaces. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was average. The pickups were horrible, the truss rod adjustment was way out of place meaning I'm going to have to drill out some of the neck to get to it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't recommend this guitar for live playing, but it is very durable, I've thrown this guitar around, stepped on it, even chipped it with a screw driver just so I would konw how deep the finish was. The neck though, has started to show wear and tear. The nut for the lead in, comes loose every now and then, which is no problem just need to tighten it again. This guitar should last a long time. // 6

Overall Impression: I play alot of blues, from Hendrix to Vaughan, and this guitar just doesn't cut it. I've been playing for about 1 year and a half, and I own a Maton EM225C, and a Fender Strat. I have a Roland GC-405 tube amp, that I use for personal practise. If this guitar was stolen, or lost, I'd be upset but not enough to go out and buy a new one. Theres nothing I really like about the Ashton AG 180 and I hate absolutley everything about it. I wish I had saved my money instead and gotten a Tele. As a beginners first electric guitar you'd be better off getting a Squire Bullet. // 4

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012