ARR281 Review

6.6
 8.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
ARR281 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2007

Features: You'll be playing some of the warmest, creamiest sounds around on this retro-styled classic. Made from the finest South American mahogany, the contoured top adds even more character to this guitar's amazing tone. The solid set neck gives you superb sustain, and the twin Classictone Humbucker pickups add another dimension to the awesome sound. - Single cutaway carved top - South american mahogany body & neck - 22 fret set neck - Rosewood fretboard - HB/HB Classictone pickups - Chrome hardware - Die Cast machine heads - Vol/vol/tone controls. // 9

Sound: The sound is very warm and mellow. This can be both good and bad. While using a distortion pedal, the unique sound isn't heard as much, but if played on a clean channel, the sound is somewhat too over the top. It's very mellow so it can be interesting to listen to, but sometimes I just feel like getting a completely neutral clean sound out of it, but doesn't do that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well. Everything seemed to be in place properly and it worked fine. There were a few flaws with it, though. The bridge was set up just a bit out of place, but this isn't heard at all, except when playing harmonics. Everything else was basically set up solidly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about a year, and it's been pretty reliable, for the most part. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't been affected by it a lot, but after I moved, I took the guitar out of the case, and it did have a few scratches on the back. This isn't the sort of guitar you would use exclusively for anything, practically. I mostly play at home and it works fine, but I wouldn't use it extensively for gigging, especially because of the strap buttons. They're solid, but my strap has fallen off quite a bit when I play standing up, but this hasn't happened with my other guitars that I've used the same strap on. The biggest problem, though, is that the guitar just stopped working at one point. I checked my amp and cable and everything was working fine, but the guitar wouldn't emit any sound what'soever. I still haven't figured out where the problem is exactly, but it definitely is in the guitar. Finally, the guitar goes out of tune pretty easily (the higher strings more than the lower ones), and doing behind the neck bends and vibratos is completely impossible on the G string because when you press down on the string behind the neck, it sound doesn't go back to normal. // 7

Overall Impression: Sound-wise, this isn't a bad guitar for me. The only issue I have with it is the clean sound, which sometimes is helpful, but sometimes can get irritating. I've been playing for about two years, and this was the first electric that I've owned. I haven't gotten a new one, so I use this exclusively for now. But the hardware isn't the greatest, and it can be a nuisance sometimes, especially when playing behind the neck bends and harmonics. If it was stolen, I would probably save up some money, make a deal with my dad, and get a better guitar. But I would recommend this guitar to beginners Who are short on money, because it's an okay guitar for the price and has served my quite well for a year or so. // 8

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012