ERA Standard Review

manufacturer: Austin date: 05/24/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Austin: ERA Standard
Solid Hardwood Body. 3 Single Coil Pickups. One Volume and Dual Tone Controls. Standard Tremolo. Maple neck w/Rosewood Fingerboard. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 7.2
 7.7
 8.4
 6.9
reviews (5) 9 comments vote for this gear:
ERA Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2004

Features: The best damn guitar that you can find for less than $200. It has the standard "Strat" look and plays great. It has a bluish/greenish hardwood body. Its got a maple neck and head, and a rosewood fretboard. The rosewood is kind of sticky at first but the more that it gets played,the easier it gets to slide around from higher to lower frets. Features diecast tuning pegs and twenty one frets with a 5-way selector between three single coil pickups. Pure chrome hardware (the bridge and the amp socket. There are two tone controls (of which do nothing but look good) and a single volume knob. Everything works good from the pickup selector to the whammy bar (except the tone controls) and I would spend the money to make those work, but everything else is in tip top shape to this day. // 6

Sound: I play everything from distorted 311 rock to blues and stone temple pilots. One of the most versitile guitars i can think of and it can manage to withstand tons of drop tunings in one day. An awsome feature is when you tap the lower strings (E,A,D) onto the second and third pickups, there are these weird telegram code sounding buzzes. A good technique that I've used to occupy pauses in between choruses in a song with alot of distortion. A great guitar to use with distortion pedals or wah effects. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect about this guitar as far a looks. An awsome chrome/white fretboard/smooth boor finish, gives this guitar a great look. It has no basic or surface flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A good guitar to carry on stage because of its light weight. The finish isn't going anywhere and none of the hardware is lose or anything like that. I would reccomend a cloth strap so that it doesn't fall off or stretch. // 10

Overall Impression: Before purchase I looked at tons of guitars before trying this and I was impressed with it. If I lost this I would struggle to replace it. I love the overall look of the Standard Strat cutout on an off-brand! A great playing long lasting guitar for a good price. // 10

ERA Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2004

Purchased from: Bakers Music

Features: It's a 22 fret guitar, moderate sized frets. Bolted neck. From some source or anouther I heard that it was chinese elm (not too sure about that). It has a mahagony neck and it has a Standard Strat body style, with a string through bridge. It has a volume and two tone switches (standard for strats). I don't hear much of an alteration while using the second tone knob. To me it would appear that the first one works, and barely at that. It also has a 5 way pickup selector, which seems to be particularly fuzzy on the bridge pickup. The tuners are alright, they keep in tune most of the time, but they appear to slip more often than many other guitars I own. // 6

Sound: It suits my music style fine (heavy-metal, blues, classic rock), it sounds good for the price (exceptionally good for the price). So there isn't much more you can ask for. The only thing I can complain about, is that the lower tones seem to be a little too bass oriented. Which is fine if you're playing heavily distorted music. Like I said before, the bridge pickup is noisy as all get-out, but it can be replaced. The guitar is capable of making wide variety of noises, and this did surprize me, and it has a decent tone as well. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This was kind of lacking in my opinion. The action was terrible, as was the intonation. So as far as the factory set-up, I did not like it at all. It would seem the neck was set up well though, no adjustment was needed for the truss rod. I had to slightly adjust the pickups to make up for the loud bridge pick-up, but that doesn't make much a difference. After playing it for a month, I came to realise the most annoying feature of the guitar, the fact that the cord jack was total crap. I've tried adding a washer, tightening it and such, and yet, it still amanages to come loose and annoy the hell out you. The pickup selector isn't too noisy, it can be dealt with. As for the strap bolts, they were sort of small, but I replaced mine with straplocks anyway so it didn't make a difference to me. The fretboard did seem a bit 'sticky' at first, but after playing it for a while, that wore away (as it does with most new guitars). // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar (though I would never use it live) could be used live, though the tone (to me) just isn't a quality worthy of the stage. The hardware is suprizingly durable, I have dropped it a few times, and it still plays well. Could I depend on it? No. It slips out of tune too easily, and it is too noisy for me (nothign a little hardware change couldn't alter though). The finish is nice, and (I belive) wouldn't wear in a long while. // 6

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play (again, heavy-metal, blues, classic rock) It matches the tones and quality I need (and expect) half-heartedly, but for the price I'd say they did an exceptional job (you've got to remember this is a beginners guitar and isn't ment to be outstanding). I've been playing for six years, I own a custom Gibson, and a Gibson classic, along with this Austin (long story where I got it from). If it were lost, I'd probably kill the person that stole it, the burn their body with the guitar. So no, I would not buy anouther. I love the fact that for the price, it is an exceptioanl guitar, I hate that many parts of it are defective (but what can you expect). My favorite feature is the versatility, it can put out some nice tones if manipulated properly. So if you're looking to buy a great beginner guitar, this ones for you. // 8

ERA Standard Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on april 05, 2004

Purchased from: Matt's Music

Features: I'm not sure where or when it was made but since when do you care about that? It has (I believe) 22 frets. There's a 5 way selector Switch to Switch between the 3 sigle coil pickups, 2 tone knobs, and a volume knob. I don't know the woods, polishes, or anything because they didn't give me anything, just the guitar, when I bought it. It was hanging on the wall, and at a great price. It's a srat look-alike with a regular white pickguard, indented jack, slanted headstock with al the tuners on one side, 2 horns (different sizes), and a regular through the back bridge with a bar. // 8

Sound: This guitar is great for muting and down-tuned playing. Godsmack songs are exeptionally great with this guitar. It has a fat, rich, deep tone. With the right distorion and the guitar set on the bridge pickup, it's great. It's a great guitar! I'm used to a really small neck, so the neck seems a little big, but that's not a problem. If you use it for heavy-metal and down tuned song, there's isn't a whole lot of high fret playing or a whole lot of playing that needs a small neck circumfrence (around). It's really good for heavily distorted songs but yet perfect for acoustic songs! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There isn't a lot wrong with this guitar. It's not a big brand, but it's a lot better than I expected! It's a little sticky with moving up and down the fretboard, but if you're in need to play solos or anything that consists of such playing I think you should look for a name brand. The only thing that was wrong with it was that the knobs were missing, but that's probably from someone who took them off of the guitar when it was hanging on the shelf. The pickups are really good for cutting down on fuzz, but good for creating that after song feedback, but it seems to never happen in a song, it's like it knows when you want feedback. Everything is flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would take this on stage anytime. The hard ware and polish look like they'll last forever. Although it did scratch really easily against a sharp metal object on my computer desk. The strap buttons are smaller than usual. If you have a leather strap, chanced are it will fall off the buttons from stretching, nothing that buying a cloth strap or strap locks won't fix. I would use it on stage as long as I had my cloth strap, with the leather I find myself worrying about the strap falling off and making me look stupid, I'm always looking down at it if I have the leather strap. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different types of music and it fits everyone. I Switch between Drop-c, Drop-D, Eb, and E tunings sometimes 3 or 4 times a day and it keeps it in tune extremely well! It matched heavier music the best. This is actually one of the best guitars I've tried, and one of the best I own. It's very light and I can play ever without a strap, just by holding it. I have the left handed ERA, so I don't know if the right handed is deifferent, but I imagine not. This is one great guitar! // 10

ERA Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Features: This guitar is really a good guitar for it's price. It's a Stratocaster copy that but that doesnt stop it from being one hell of a guitar. I have played aroudn with squiers which are Fenders discount guitars, and this guitar is much better then the Squier in my opinion. It came in black with a white pickguard a standard tremelo, and 3 mediocre single coil pickups. There good but not exceptional. I ended up replacing the bridge position pickup to get less buzz on heavy disortion (the dimarzio fast track 2 not only gave it more crunch but eliminated the unwanted feadback from the single coil). But besides that the other pickups are fine but I will most likely get to replacing them. But other then that a great guitar. // 8

Sound: Sound is great for it's price and korean make. Sounds even better with the dimarzio pickup I slapped on the bridge. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It has a nice finish, rosewood fretboard, maple neck. Chrome hardware. It's a very well built guitar, and it is very comfortable and light. the only complaint I have is that the strap holder on the bottom came lose but it was easily fixed at the shop. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very durable guitar adn with the right care can last a lifetime. The body is just made out of a cheaper wood and dents and scratches very easily. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great beginner guitar, and can even touch up on being an intermidate guitar. But that's still all it is, a beginner guitar. It's not made to be a profesional or highclass guitar. Though this can be changed with the right upgrades and treatment. It's still a discount guitar but that doesnt mean it cant rock the hell out of a crowd, it's just not a top dollar guitar. A talented player can make this thing cry, shreak and yell but it still sounds mediocre when compared to what it is copied after, the Fender Strat. // 8

ERA Standard Reviewed by: metal jello, on may 24, 2007

Features: I'm not sure when my Austin was made, probably around 2006. 21 rosewood fret neck, not too thick, not to thin. Solid alder body and normal finish. The classic Strat design of 3 single coils and 1 vol. and 2 tone knobs with a 5-way selector Switch. Cheap hardware, but it still works. If you get one, get a Super Vee floyd rose bridge and locking tuners. Good for beginners, though. // 8

Sound: I blend classical and blues styles into heavy metal. This guitar gets the blues and classical part down, but the single coils aren't too good for metal, so if you're getting this for metal get some EMG's. I use a Crate VTX65, (the built in tuner helps) and sounds good on te rhythmn and clean channels. Full, rich sound on those two channels, but not on the solo channel, or at least not with those pups. Still, it does a lot, good sustain, full sound, plays classical to classic rock well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in perfectly, not a single problem. Pups well adjusted, everything was fine, no real flaws. The only flaw I've ever seen from Austin was the action on my Austin SG was horrible. That doesn't mean Austin is no good though. Good guitar especially for beginners. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing, but be sure you bring a tuner or get locking tuners or a Super vee. Solid strap buttons, but get locking strap buttons for security, it's all fun and Games until someone's guitar is all ove the floor. Hardware will last, but if you're going to play this for a while, get some good parts for it. I have a couple of nicks in the finish, but still pretty strong. should last a good long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Good match for all styles, but, to me, doesn't sound good on the solo channel. I've been playing for 2 yrs. I play this through a Crate VTX65 and it sounds awesome on the rhythmn and clean channels. If it were stolen, I would get an inexpensive ESP model instead. I love the look and playability, but I hate the pups and horrinle tuning stability. I wish it had locking auto-trim tuners, Super Vee bridge, EMG stacked pups, and schaller strap locks. Still, great beginner guitar, kudos to Austin. // 9

More Austin reviews rating category latest review
+ AGL300 6.9 Electric Guitars 05/11/2011