Vintage Rock Review

manufacturer: Austin date: 06/02/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Austin: Vintage Rock
This Austin 6 string single cutaway electric guitar has a classically styled arch top body with celluloid bindings and features a modern comfortable profile bolt-on neck with 22 fret Rosewood Fingerboard with traditional dot inlays.
 Features: 7.6
 7.6
 7.9
 7.2
reviews (5) user comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Rock Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2004

Purchased from: Music Maxx

Features: Wood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, like every other guitar, les paul body, almost identical to Gibson other than dot inlays instead of squares, Tune-o-matic bridge, junkie pickups, cheap everything but it works. // 6

Sound: I play mostly Yngwie Malmsteen influenced soloing, so this guitar is not much help, but it is my first guitar, I've had it for 4 years and it sounds ok, I run it through a Zoom 606, which is awesome for boosting highs, I have a Crate 15 watt amp, which is loud to me. It doesn't have much sustain, I judged this guitar by how it plays without the electronics though. Acoustically it is fairly loud, but it doesn't ring for a long time. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitars aren't set up right anyways, I just adjust the action myself because its tune-o-matic, so its easy. Whenever I put on a new set of strings, about every 4 weeks. I redo the action so its just right. The pickups are ok for blues, they are far from great, but I find they work. The finish, Heritage cherry sunburst, looks like Jimmy Page's Les Paul so much, and at the time I wanted to emulate him quite a bit because I thought he was an amazing guitarist. But my styles have changed meaning I need somthing a bit faster. Better pickups could easily make this guitar 100% better though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The worst thing that has happened is a crappy soldering job on the input jack, I redid it myself, and the volume pots are starting to get buzzy, I noticed it the most when I was play (316), Where you use the volume knob for slow attack. But the Zoom 606 has a feature that does it automatically so if youve ever seen yngwie using that slow attack technique and want to replicate it easily, get a Zoom 606. The rest of the guitar is very dependable, I find that it stays in tune pretty good, but if you bend the shit out of it on 22nd fret high E string, the string either breaks or goes down a bit. // 6

Overall Impression: I play neoclassical now so this guitar doesnt cut it anymore, but when I go into blues mode or Santana mode, I totally rip on it. I've only been playing for 4 years, But I feel I have progressed alot faster than other people and have been told I play more like I have been playing for about 10 years. I wouldn't buy it again though. I would rather get an ESP MH-50 then put a floyd rose original on it, repaint the body a custom paint job, scallope the frets, put Dimarzio Evolution pickups in it (coloured) and that would probably do me perfect. But I'm not gunna sell this guitar, I am just gunna play blues with it, It looks nice. // 6

Vintage Rock Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2005

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: The guitar is a 2004 Vintage Rock model made in Indonesia. The guitar is a solid body LP style with 22 frets on a bolt on maple neck with rosewood fret board and an arch top mahogany body. It has a 24.5" scale length. The tuners are sealed gotoh style. The frets are wide (.110" wide) and about .045" high. The guitar has 2 humbucking pickups, with chrome covers, about 8.5 - 9k resistance ea., with a 3 way selector Switch, 2 volume and 2 tone controls. The control pots are 500k pots with .02 mf capacitors. When both pickups are selected, they are in parallel with @4.5 k ohms at the output jack. The bidge is aa adjustable tune-a-matic style. The finish is solid black with cream colored binding on the neck and body, and a cream colored pickguard. The finish is nicely buffed to a high gloss and looks good on the entire guitar. The tuners and all the metal fittings are chrome. // 8

Sound: The guitar has a warm Les Paul type of tone. It is good for typical rock. I am using it as a practice guitar through a 15 watt solid state amp. The guitar has a high output. There is a good range on the tone controls. I changed to .01 mf caps for a little brighter tone. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up when I recieved it. The neck had problems however. It didn't seat on the body right because the back of the neck wasn't flat across the joint area. The first fret was lower than the others because the fretboard was too low at the first fret. All the tuner nuts were also loose, but the pots and jack retaining nuts are all tight. I found while working on the neck that the sustain of the guitar was improved if all the neck bolts were loosened slightly and then re-tightened with the strings tuned to pitch. This let the end of the neck pull up tight against the body and improved sustain. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar appears reliable and durable. The bolt on neck, although a departure from a standard LP set neck, is probably a stronger neck body joint. The body of the guitar is heavy, so this may be a good feature in the long run. The strap buttons and other hardware seem to be good quality. No noisy pots or switches. // 8

Overall Impression: This was the best looking LP style guitar in its price range. The problems the guitar had with the neck suggest it is a good idea to check it out very carefully before buying it. The guitar has a good warranty. This is one of several guitars we own, it is used primarily as a practice guitar. // 8

Vintage Rock Reviewed by: rapxeon, on november 19, 2005

Purchased from: Erie Music

Features: I don't know when this guitar was Made, but it seems pretty recent. It's a 22 fret Les Paul style of guitar, the Les Paul look really gives it some edge. Features double pickups, a humbucker for easy chaning strings, chrome Les Paul style. There are 3 options given, a 3-way pickup treble selector, 4 knobs to control the contour of the desired note, and volume. It's in a black finish so, fingerprints do show up easily requiring you to take good care of it and make sure to polish it regularly. // 8

Sound: The sound for this fits my needs, it can basically play heavy metal, blues rock, classic rock with good sound. The amp I'm using is a Marshall Valvestate 8080. It has a nice sound coming out of the amp. The acoustic sound without the amp doesn't sound to bad, but can be toned up a bit. Very good quality sound though, definite for a good rating. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup is great, the pickups are also good, when I got this there were no flaws or anything, the body is good for a style of a Les Paul Look-a-like. The price for this type is also great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is very reliable, playing live, definitly, the strap buttons are very solid, I bought a strap lock just in case though, my strap I had before kept falling off because the holes on it were cut a little. I can depend on it, but wouldn't use it without a backup. The finish is very good and seems it can stand up to a lot of playing. Definite good guitar for this price. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression, if your a first time guitar player, try this guitar, it's a good low price so if you want you can purchase it, it's good looking, handles very well, plays easily, change the strings very easily and doesn't go out of tune easily, but if your a more advance guitarist, choose something else. This is maybe for a person who is looking from a step up from the Crate guitar that you got out of the box. I've been playing for a year and a few months, but this does the job for my needs. It's a good guitar, so if you wish, pick it up for a good decent price! // 9

Vintage Rock Reviewed by: mikehislop, on april 23, 2007

Purchased from: Cadenza Music

Features: This is an early 2006 model that I own in cherry sunburst. It looks absolutly beauteful. It has a rosewood fret board that feels exactly the same as my friends Gibson les paul. it's a solid body with a clear finish to protect the cherry sunburst. it's an LG which means it's a single cut away. The controls are 2 volume and 2 tone with a 3 way Switch to select bridge both or neck humbucker. The tuners are great and keep it really in tune, they are chrome plated. I got it wiht a strap cable gig bag and Crate 25 amp. // 8

Sound: It is great for metal to classic rock and in to a little blues. I like to play it with an overdrive/distortion pedal on a Fender or a Crate (Fender being better). The sound is great in to the highs just a little weaker than a tele for 1/2 the price. there's not much feedback unless on full distort which is common with all guitars and amps. It can be tuned and tinkered with to get almost any sound some being better than others though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a perfect set up. There wernt any factory flaws that my friends or I could spot. I looked at the epiphones and they had many flaws. The pickups were dialed in and great sounding. The guitar had no flaws in any thing, no loose controls great wood, very smooth, beauteful wood and for sure no rust. Tuners were perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is able to play Live. There's no way the hardwear will last unless you modify it. The strap buttons arnt in the best spot so you need a set of strap locks so that you can be assured it woulnt fall. If you have a really tight strap it might not be needed though it's your call on that. // 9

Overall Impression: Its a good match for my mix of classic rock like ac dc and boston and works to heavier stuff like Motley Crue and Metallica. Country sounds great on the clean channel and does a great job all around. If it were stolen I would upgrade to an American Strat but still it's good. I compared it to all kinds of epiphones and they were no good. I guess I couldnt ask for more from it for it's price with everything it's good for someone Who has been playing 6 months or 3 years. // 9

Vintage Rock Reviewed by: mike=miguel, on june 02, 2007

Purchased from: Cadenza Music

Features: This is an 06 model, it was made in china which fooled me. It has such great care to detail, the finish is amazing. There are no flaws at all in the fret board or any where for that matter. It has a really smooth rose fret board and I would say the fret size is the same as Gibson Les Pauls. It has a solid top and also a cherry wood body if I remember right, the clear finish protects the sunburst but shows the finger prints. It's a single cutaway with Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has the 4 custom les paul controls with a 3 way Switch. The tuners are ok, I have cheap strings though so I can't comment on how much they keep it in tune. It came with an amp, gig bag, picks, book, stand, and a cable. Great christmas deal. // 8

Sound: I play classic rock and it works perfect. Sometimes I'll play some blues stuff on stage for talent shows and stuff and it nails the tone great. I am using a Crate 15GT and a FM 65 DSP Frontman (Fender) and the tones on the amps just make it perfect. It can make blues tones, rock tones, and metal tones equally along with softer tones and country too. The feedback is minimal compared to my brothers Stratocaster. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings had the bridge a little low so I had a lot of fret buzz but that's a quick fix with the Tune-O-Matic. Other than that I moved the pickups up a little after a year or so. There are no flaws in the guitar, the whole thing was set up for a beginner to mid ranged skill player but would be a good 3rd guitar too. The bridge is really smooth and is great for hammerons pulloffs slides and bends too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The first thing here is the strap buttons on all Gibson les paul guitars and others shaped similar is that straps don't stay on well. strap locks are a must if you plan on Live playing. Otherwise the guitar is very dependable and you should count on it at any gig. Play as hard as you want cause this finish isnt going any where, it's very thick great looking. // 9

Overall Impression: Its a great match for me because I play all types of music from Nirvana to Clapton, it saves me a lot by being versitile and now I don't have to get a diffrent guitar for each style of music. I have been playing for a couple years now and it goes great with cheap amps if that's all you have but better amps are even better. If it got stolen ide go with a nashvill Telecaster because I have kind of out grown this guitar but it lasts a few years befor you want something more. it's got all that I need and I couldnt ask for anything more from it. // 10

More Austin reviews rating category latest review
+ AGL300 6.9 Electric Guitars 05/11/2011