FireAx Review

manufacturer: AXL date: 12/18/2009 category: Electric Guitars
AXL: FireAx
When you unleash your hot licks, the FireAx will sound as threatening as it looks. This guitar features an angular body, a floating tremolo bridge that's excellent for wailing solos, and two sets of humbuckers and one single coil pickup for the ultimate in tonal variety. The FireAx is mayhem at its finest.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.5
 6.8
 6.2
 7.3
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
FireAx Reviewed by: Beebaboo, on april 28, 2008

Purchased from: Austin Music co.

Features: The features on this guitar are actually pretty cool, 24 jumbo frets with a killer "arrowhead" inlay. A solid Alder body (that feels very cheap and plastic-y). A licensed Floyd Rose bridge that holds tune fairly well when properly set up. A five-way selector switch and three EMG-designed pickups. Made in China. It's a pretty Standard guitar, with nothing else going for it except for an interesting look. A real eye pleaser, except for the ugly "horn" near the adjustment knobs (2 tone, 1 volume) and selector switch. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds very good for the price paid. It simply screams metal, and that's what it does. The guitar doesn't handle other musical styles very well, and will make all your songs sound bassy and crunchy. I am using this guitar on a low grade amp that came in a starter package, and the guitar still sounds great. Definitely the strongest aspect of the guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I mentioned before that the guitar was made in China. That is were the guitar fails. When I recieved this guitar (the shop ordered it from a distributor), the action was terrible, the frets were even poorly placed, the neck of the guitar wasn't even aligned properly with the body, the tremolo wouldn't hold tune for beans, There was horrible buzzing, and the strings sat precariously about half an inch up away from the fret board and misaligned with the fretboard and body of the guitar. To top it all off, they gave me strings not fit to tie my shoes with. Did I mention I had to pay $170 to get all this stuff repaired? Terrible, just terrible. // 1

Reliability & Durability: After Recieving my guitar back from the repair shop, there are a few more problems to be had. The buzzing is slowly coming back, and frets are making weird noises out of nowhere. Instead of the classic sound you get from holding a fret down, you get this ear-killing twang-ah sound that just kills any song I play. Definitely not reccomended for gigs, or playing guitar in general. // 1

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, and the sound of this guitar matches perfectly. However, after all the stuff I had to go through to get this POS working right, and all the stuff that is still going wrong with the guitar, no fun can be had with this beast. You would be better off buying a $250 Dean Generic V guitar than buying this piece of junk. Remember, there is a reason the AXL is not a very well known guitar manufacturer. // 4

FireAx Reviewed by: Guitar_AXL, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: Wave Audio Victoria,Texas

Features: Body: Alder Neck: Maple w/ Bubinga Stripe Fretboard: Rosewood Finish: Black Gloss or Red Gloss Inlay: Arrowhead Bridge: Floating Tremolo Pickups: EMG-Designed Alnico Pickups: 1 Single Coil, 2 Humbuckers Controls: 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5-Way Switch Neck Profile: Ultra Thin Neck Joint: Deep Cut Bolt-On Neck Joint Location: 21st Fret Treble, 17th Fret Bass Radius: 14" Nut Width: 1-5/8" Nut Type: Locking Nut Tailpiece: N/A Scale Length: 25-1/2" Total Length: 41-1/2" Five way selector, Floyd Rose licensed tremolo, two tone and one volume knob. The guys at the shop gave an OSP gig bag. All in all wickedly awesome guitar. // 9

Sound: It plays metal and hardrock, and with the right amp you can make it play anything. It is a little noisy when you select the bridge pickup, but other wise there's no audible feed back. Great sound. Competes with my friends Gibson Les Paul. This guitar has a FR and there are no sounds this guitar can't make. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Getting from the shop that sold it everything was great. The only flaw was that the selector switch wasn't long enough and at first you'd think it was 3 way, and that's what the guy sold it to me as. Upon later inspection I took the switch cap off and found out it was a five way. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand anything, I've used it for live playing countless times. Some does some doesn't the pickups and selector and locking neck nuts would last a long time, the parts on the FR though seem to strip very easy, and not because I'm using the wrong tools either. The strap button were very solid the screws holding them in we two inches long(I replaced them with strap locks). I can depend on this thing for awhile, and I have played gigs with no backup guitar and just this one. Here come one of the flaws, cheap plasticy finish that doesn't last If you bump it just right the finish crack and peels off, but if your careful, and just play it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of styles, mainly harder rock stuff, but I do branch off into different genres every once and awhile, This guitar is the perfect match for me. Been playing two years, I run a metal muff distortion pedal, Behringer GMX110 amp a Lyon by Washburn(there's a guitar to hate), and a Yamaha Acoustic. If it were stolen, I'd get another one. Love the weight shape and tone, hate the cheap finish and cheap hardware on the FR. My favorite feature is the Ultra thin neck, it makes it easier to play and keeps your fret hand unhindered. Earlier on I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul in quality of sound. And Its true this thing is awesome. Wish it had a better finish. And that is the Mayhem FireAx by AXL. // 8

More AXL reviews rating category latest review
+ Badwater 1216 7.5 Electric Guitars 10/03/2012