Jacknife Review

manufacturer: AXL date: 11/23/2009 category: Electric Guitars
AXL: Jacknife
Leave it to AXL to give you a truly original design from a classic body style. With its ultra thin neck and lightweight design, the Jacknife will keep you playing hard and fast until your fingers can't take it anymore.
 8.4
 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Jacknife Reviewed by: JLJohnson_21, on march 18, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Searcher

Features: After reading the review in Guitar World I had to get one. It's a brand new guitar and it's made in China according to the neck. It's basically a Flying V but slightly different so they wouldn't get sued. 22 frets, Tune-O-Matic bridge and some sweet EMG pickups for a cheap guitar. No whammy bar though. // 9

Sound: This guitar is made for metal. That's why it only comes in black. It handles other styles fine but I stick to metal mostly. I'm using it with a Marshall AVT50, DigiTech Metal Master and a Boss Noise Suppressor. You can use the neck pickup if you wanna have a nu-metal thump to your rhythm, but if you're like me you'll stick with the bridge pickup for the crunch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup great outta the box. The action was perfect and I don't even think you can adjust the pickups. Mine came with a minor flaw on the 22nd fret and the tone nobe was a little loose, but it's no biggie. Only thing was the neck could use some more gloss so you could slide more easily. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've only had a day so I'm not sure how long it'll last. I take care of my stuff though so it should be good for quite awhile. // 10

Overall Impression: Again this guitar is sweet for playing metal, plus its cheap! I get better tones from it than from my Fender Mexican Strat loaded with humbuckers which cost almost $200 more. I've only played strats before so it was strange playing at first with a shorter neck and odd shape, but you get used to it quickly. If don't like standing while playing you should probably get something else though. But that's a good thing cause it will just make you a better player anyway! // 9

Jacknife Reviewed by: anderseb, on november 23, 2009

Purchased from: Giacolleti's

Features: This guitar has 22 frets and is easy to move up and down the neck considering the thin neck design. The V design of the guitar may not be convenient, but it's a small price to pay. Its Tune-O-Matic bridge is great for keeping the guitar in tune for reasonable periods of time. The guitars' active pickups deliver great sound and doesn't lack any tone. No accessories were included, as it may be a concern to find a V-shaped body case for a reasonable price. // 7

Sound: The AXL Jacknife brings barking tone and is suitable for Metal genre purposes. Although it may look like a shredders' dream, this guitar can handle many other genres, such as soft rock and pop-punk. These pickups do not aquire a noise gate, which can be a concern for those Who enjoy silence in between playing. With pedals and a loud amplifier, you can recreate the tones of Van Halen, along with bands such as Green Day. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much extra tweaking was needed, as the AXL Jacknife came ready for playing. The pickups may need to be tightened with the screws, but they stay reasonably still and don't fall when you need them most. The bridge is not completely adjusted adequately, and can fall when changing strings. However, it is not a hassle when it comes to Live performances and recording. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The AXL Jacknife can withstand road performances, as I found it has not collapsed on me or had any technical problems yet. The strap buttons stay solid, and are as hard as a rock. This may not be my best guitar, but it is a great guitar and holds up pretty well. // 8

Overall Impression: I love Metal and Hard Rock, and the AXL Jacknife is a great guitar, and resembles the tone of an Ibanez or a Jackson electric guitar. This guitar is great for my main tasks, as I've been playing about 1 year and am in a band, and frequently have performances. I have no doubts on this product, and there aren't any major problems as for the structure and well being of the guitar itself. If I had to pick a guitar again, I may have picked something else, but AXL makes high quality guitars. I love the neck design on the guitar, and really enjoy the ferocious pickups that come with the guitar. Out of 1 and a half hours of playing all sorts of guitars in a local music store, this guitar seemed to fit me best, as the price was amazing and it suited my needs. I wish this guitar had come with a vibrato arm or 24 frets, but this guitar is great and you should definitely take the whole brand into consideration. // 8

More AXL reviews rating category latest review
+ Johnson 8 Bass Guitars 08/29/2014