Ironbird One Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 08/11/2014 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Ironbird One
Flying into the danger zone and back into shredder's hands - the highly requested Ironbird is back!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 5.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 41 comments vote for this gear:
Ironbird One Reviewed by: .::MetalGod::., on march 01, 2010

Purchased from: www.dirtcheepdirect.com

Features: The Ironbird One has 24 Jumbo Frets. The scale size is 24 5/8. Fretboard is Rosewood. Body wood is Basswood. Top style is Bevel-top. No finish. Ironbird body style. Bridge style is tune-o-matic. 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 1 3-way toggle. Pickup model B.C. Rich B.D.S.M. Tuner brand is B.C. Rich die-cast. No including accessories, but you can buy them of course. Why 8? The sound of the pickups is not great, and the neck is to heavy. // 8

Sound: I play Metal, and a bc rich suits that perfectely. I use Marshall amps, and some wah-wah effects, but you can use any decent amp. The sound will be much better if you chanche the pickups (with a different guitar) and place the strapbutton somewhere else, so the neck doesn't drop when you are not holding it. If you don't, I give the sound a 7. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Of course, the guitar looks awesome, but, as said before, the pickups are not great. But all the other stuff is great: good bracing, good fretwire, nicely finished (the shape), good wood, nothing wrong with the hardware, tuning pegs are screwed on tight, nicely cut nut, good fit saddle etc. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its a decent guitar, so it will withstand. As said before, everything is solid, and the strap buttons are solid, but you might want to place them somewhere else, because the neck is heavy and it might drop when you are not holding it. You can use it on a gig without backup. But you know, theres always a chance that something breaks, even with an fender or ibanez. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, and a BC Rich is always good for metal. No doubt. I would get another one for sure (or a newer model) because its great for Metal and I play Metal. If you use a good amp, this is the way to rock (or metal, your call). Mine doesn't have a floating tremolo, and I love those. Can you put these things up yourself? If you can (but I don't think you can) message me please // 8

Ironbird One Reviewed by: the2menis1, on march 02, 2010

Purchased from: Music Inn

Features: 24 jumbo frets, scale size is 24 5/8. The neck is a really nice rosewood, even better if you use a cleaner like Fast Fret as the oils get the wood nice and healthy. Body is a sturdy basswood. Great iron bird cut away body, very nice to look at. Tune-O-matic bridge. 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 1 3-way toggle. Pickup model B.C. Rich B.D.S.M. // 7

Sound: I found, after a whole year of this being my main guitar that the best way to make it sound great is to have a higher gauge string on it, for example don't even bother with 9's or 10's for that matter, instead I recommend 11's or even better 12's. I mainly used The Line 6 Spider 3 amps, both 30 watt version and 150 watt version, the guitar sounded amazing on the insane setting. Pickups are good enough to use live, as I did for a year but don't even think this thing will do a nice clean chord bassed song, no chance, it must be meaty and full of power chords and stuff like that in order to cope. Overall this guitar is most suited for heavy rock and metal but you can brave punk if you dare. 7 due to its lack of versatility of songs it can achieve. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar, put simply, turns heads, no doubt about it, but in order to carry it I had to use a Rosseti Bass carry case which was awkward. Everything was made to last, that much is obvious, no complaints about the tuning pegs being loose, the bridge is nicely set, intonation is no problem on the guitar. No Floyd Rose trem system though which is disapointing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar lasted a year of live playing from me but throughout this I had the same problem, the contact point for the jack input easily comes out of place and that leads to bad connection, which results in crackling every time you move with a cable, so unless your on wireless or wrap the cable about 5 times round your strap then its unavoidable. The other problem with this guitar is where the strap buttons are, it was placed in such a place where the weight of the neck made it fall every time you let go of the neck. Other then that there are no problems with it. Both problems can be solved by adjusting the jack imput connector and by re positioning the strap button. // 6

Overall Impression: When I had this guitar I was all about heavy rock and metal, meaning I was always on 12 gauge strings in B tuning so that suited perfectly, but then I moved onto more blues and jazz so I had to change guitars but kept this one as well. This guitar was used for a year solid, before this I used a Fender Strat Squire for a year, used this guitar for a year and now I use a Vintage V-100 mostly but I also have my Ibanez RG350EX. The thing I love about this guitar is the appearance, I was lead guitar for my group at the time and this guitar just radiates lead guitarishness:P If this guitar was good at a wider variety of music and had a Floyd Rose trem system then I would still have it but sadly I got rid of it so that I could get my Ibanez RG350EX. // 8

Ironbird One Reviewed by: George-Simister, on august 11, 2014

Features: ELECTRONICS

- Electronics Master Volume, Master Tone, 3-way Toggle.
- Neck Pickup: B.D.S.M. Humbucker.
- Bridge Pickup: B.D.S.M. Humbucker.

The B.C. Rich Ironbird is a good electric guitar. To get if you're still new to playing the guitar. The construction of of the body of this mighty, metal mashing, machine is a bolt-on method using Heavy Basswood to give the instrument a comfortable feel when you hold it. The neck of the guitar is a Material called Maple wood and it has a Satin finish. The fretboard is crafted from rose-wood and sports Jumbo sized frets. The inlays however are just standard dots witch takes away cool points from the look of this axe.

HARDWARE

- Nut Type: Standard.
- Nut Material: Synthetic Graphite.
-Nut Width: 1 11/16"

- Tuning Keys: B.C. Rich Diecast.
- Bridge Type: Tune-O-Matic / String Through-Body.
- Hardware Color: Chrome
- Control Knobs Dome Knobs.

Although stylish this still is a rather cheap guitar to obtain. // 7

Sound: I play a wide variety of music including pop, metal, funk, classical and jazz. While doing so on the B.C. Rich I discovered That this instrument was not able to emit the clarity I needed to be able to play crisp arpeggios, you know the kind that make you tingle? If you're looking for a bassy, more distorted sound then this guitar is better for you as that is what it does well. So if you want to play anything other than metal I recommend you don't get a B.C. Rich. Even with effects I found this was the case. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Considering I bought this guitar second hand I was sceptical about the integrity of it. Would it need work etc. So I did some research and contacted B.C. Rich, they gave me an over-the-phone guide to check it was still factory fit and it was. These guitars are made to last, so long as you look after them. Which I'm sure all you guys do. :) I have not had to service it since then and that's been over three years. I have noticed however that the Jack input can become faulty very easily and this can cause problems in the long term. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar is nice and sturdy I've had mine for a long time and never had to take it for repairs once. The fretboard hasn't lost it's shape or swollen, and the nut and bridge are hardly worn by the strings. The paintwork hasn't chipped or bubbled and the pickups and dials still work smooth as butter. However I have found that the Jack input on this instrument can become faulty. And this can cause problems in the long run, that's the reason why I must emphasise this point. The Jack input however, does get faulty over time. All in all this is a well made instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned this guitar is better to play metal and other heavy music as its bass seeking humbuckers make it a quite naturally distorted instrument. I would buy this guitar again if I had to for the sheer metal abilities it can cope with. This guitar would be so damn awesome if it had less bassy pickups and more clarity. It would be a great guitar if was this way as the playability and likeability would be greater than it is as standard. I love the style of this guitar, it looks so awesome! Almost like an ancient battle axe that's seen its share of orc slaying. // 8

More B.C. Rich reviews rating category latest review