PL-02S Review

manufacturer: BaCH date: 05/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
BaCH: PL-02S
BaCH is an Czech guitar brand, and that's where the guitars are made. It's actually pretty reliable, though it's low priced and looks rough and badly finished.
 6.4
 6.8
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
PL-02S Reviewed by: MrNixon, on may 30, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Features: First of all, I borrowed this guitar from a friend of mine to write a review about it, so I don't have any details about the very beginning of this guitar. If any of you don't know "Bach" instruments: BaCH is an Czech guitar brand, and that's where the guitars are made. The first thing that you will notice, when you look up their website and look through their guitars, is the price. These guitars are obviously calculated in price on the cost of it by material and further machinal work or handwork. My guess is that it is around 4 or less years old, so it's in pretty good shape. It's color is white, nothing fancy, with a shiny gloss, nothing very spectacular either. The body and neck (the neck is set) are both made from mahagony, so it has a warm tone and weights light, and it has a rosewood fingerboard with plain "Dot" inlays and 22 frets. They use their own made brand of pickups, and this guitar has a single pickup at the bridge, which they call "Dog ear style", and though it may confuse some and look like a single coil, it is a humbucking pickup. It has no pickup switches (because there are no pickups) and has a volume and a tone knob, which a smooth so MAY be slightly more difficult to operate than other knobs. It has a bridge, which they call "Wrapped" that is just the Bridge piece that holds the strings. The strings enter from the pickup side and then make a bend over the top, towards the neck. I personally have my doubts about this bridge, but further on you will get the point about WHY there is a vertain fuss about BaCH guitars. The body style is a bit like a Les Paul but with two cutaways, which are not identical (one is slightly wider). Headstock is much like Gibsons but only a bit larger and tuners are stock, just like all the other parts, nothing fancy. // 7

Sound: First I whas a bit sceptical about it because of the price, and hearing is believing, so when I plugged it in, I was suprised. The pickups didn't sound that bad actually. A warm crunchy humbucking sound on distortion (Peavey Bandit 112) but with not/no further tone options (exept for tone knob) it could have a clear bright distorted sound too. Clean. Well, mostly clean parts are played with the neck pickup, so since it doesn't have one. It's pretty limited. The wood doesn't sound like it's high quality, but still... For the money it's all forgiving. Still you can do some rock, heavy rock, metal with it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish really, it's just what I expexted. Flaws in the shape of the body, bad fretboard. The neck is slightly wider than the fretboard. The front of the headstock is painted black, but the transition to white (which is the side and the back of it, and the neck, AND the rest of the guitar, is done poorly, no clear line between the black and white. The action seems just fine, and still with the Bridge the way it is, it stays in tune. So it's a sturdy little thing and I'll just be forgiving with the very poor finish. Though it plays just fine! But don't buy this if you are someone with eye for detail, because you will notice. One more thing, I own an ESP Ltd EX-401, and Ibanez GRG170DX and an Fender Squire affinity strat, of which the ESP is just... No flaws no poorly whatever, divine. So I'm comparing the BaCH with th ESP and the Ibanez. The Ibanez is cheaper (200 euro's) and has better fretboard (no flaws), but slightly worse pickups. Also, I almost forgot: NO DEAD NOTES of the BaCH! // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, it's actually pretty reliable, though it's low priced and looks rough and badly finished. It plays pretty good, not bad. One important note though: This is the first BaCH guitar I've ever played, so I can't REALLY say something about the brand itself, Myself. I've red a couple of blogs of people who had problems with very poorly placed knobs or bridges, but that's just a small percentage. Most people are satisfied. // 7

Overall Impression: So, the conclusion: After adding all the points together I must say that you perhaps should take the name hand in hand with some minor flaws in finish, but you could always return it and get a new one. I would certainly buy an Explorer of Les Paul model of them, just because of the price, and the fact that they just seem just fine when played. Not bad, but the low price comes at a minor price: The chance of getting a slightly bad guitar, BUT, I mustn't give such an verdict already. So I'll just say that I would buy one of them, I could get the chance of playing them, beacause, for that price, it IS worth a try. // 7

More BaCH reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer 5.2 Electric Guitars 09/16/2011