SRO BS-5 Review

7.3
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SRO BS-5 Reviewed by: Sophmoot, on december 15, 2009

Purchased from: J.C.'s music store

Features: Keep in mind- on my tight, tiny budget of no income, the ratings are quality/price. As far as I know, these are still being made in the same style. 22 frets, medium neeck and I haven't found anywhere that tells me the scale as it didn't come with anything but the guitar and the worst 10' cable I have ever seen. Tremolo bridge has held well and was well set when I first got the guitar. Strat style body in solid onepiece Alder makes the body better than most squires and I like that the pickguard along with the pick-up configuration (parallel H-S-S) is NOT another knock-off of the strats, giving it some character. However, the tuners suck. Probably the worst part of the guitar. They slip often so dive-bombs are out of the question and tuning takes longer than it should. Maple neck and rosewood fretboard not impressive, would like to switch with a squire's. Finally, in the pots are even slightly overturned the get loose and will rotate past where they should but they just need occasional tightening and eventually I just glued them in place. In short, impressive core, hardware dissapointing. // 6

Sound: Being the only Electric I have ever owned, my styles have melded to fit the guitar's capabilities so its begun to fit me as I have begun to fit it. I use a Behringer amp for its versatility(and low cost). I KNOW this guitar has plenty of potential and I'll never get rid of it, but the cheap pick-ups somehow seem overly metalic(like the taste in your mouth, not genre of rock). Playing it accousticly I have no complaints regarding its sound. Honestly, I can't wait till I have some money to put into this thing. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The only good part about the set-up was the tremolo, not a single complaint from me regarding it. However; -the pickups were too low -few pegs way too loose -1/4" jack kept getting loose -all 3 controls loose -screw on 5-way Switch actually fell out // 2

Reliability & Durability: Would NEVER consider playing Live with this guitar as I have a freind with a library of Gibsons. After almost 3 years of owning it with the utmost care its falling apart. some thread thing around the humbucker is freying, screw missing (not my fault, fell w/o notice), pots rotating wild, frets wearing down quick with nearly constant play, i wore through the finish in at least one spot, rosewood fretboard is losing its stain from skin oils and its visible. Luckily all damage is reversible with simple refurbishment. Again, the solid alder body can take a hell of a pete townsend esque beating without showing significant damage. Note: I play constantly and this is my only elec so no matter the guitar it would have worn down by now. // 6

Overall Impression: Obviously this guitar is about its price. No-one who can afford a real Gibson or Fender should even consider this guitar. The real question here is... How does it compare to squires? This is where my guitar excells. I'm certain if my grandmother had bought me a squire for christmas three years ago, I would have lost interest three weeks later. There is no retail squire in the world I would trade it for because after all this time I see where this relatively unknown manifacturer put all $100 into, the CORE! I have found no squire that compares to the heart of this guitar. Made for beginners so that they can modify it as they modify their own styles and grow together as I have with my own. My guitar shows where, and I'm PROUD OF IT! // 10

Comments