iAXE 393 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 10/21/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Behringer: iAXE 393
You have a great song in mind and want to record it straight to your PC. You want all your amps and effects in your workstation so you can jam like you're in the studio or on stage. With the Behringer iAXE 393 USB-Guitar you're just a cable away.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 7.3
 7.4
 4.6
reviews (4) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
iAXE 393 Reviewed by: Mind_Reader7, on december 05, 2008

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The main feature of this guitar is it can be connected via USB to your computer, or just played as a normal guitar. The USB function is great! It saves you having to buy an amplifier and you get 3 virtual distortion programs. One bad thing is with technology constantly upgrading, a lot of people nowadays have great computers, and they need to use a 64bit operating system. The drivers for this guitar do not support 64bit. The guitars body is white, with a light grey/dark white inner body. It has a 5-way with 2 tone knobs, and a volume knob. The volume know seems sort of dodgy, if you have it turned down to a 2 (out of 10) it tends to either mute it, or make it cut in/out. Other than that, it's fine. The neck is wooden with metal frets. It's a decent sized neck, not long or short. The headstock had iAXE 393 written on it, but doesn't stand out which is good. The tuners that come with it are pretty loose and don't stay put, but this can be fixed by tightening the screws. // 7

Sound: The Standard guitar to amplifier output isn't all that great, but the main reason for buying this guitar is to use the USB function right? With the USB function, the sound is well worth it. Next to zero distortion, great effects, and this you don't need an amplifier. The guitar itself just puts out a nice mellow sound, and if you're looking for a guitar to play at home, and send recordings from your computer to other people it's well worth it. You plug the USB into your computer to get the distortions, and plug the audio cable into the output source (amplifier, or just regular speakers, or even headphones). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As stated above, the only flaws I managed to find with this guitar is the volume knob goes kind of dodgy when turned down to a low volume, and the tuning heads are somewhat loose, but this is fixed with a Phillips head screwdriver. One other thing is output jack puts out an annoying fuzz, and so if you're not interested in using it for the USB function, I would not buy this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wouldn't be great to play Live as it doesn't like amplifiers. But everything else seems very secure, the strap button are on very solid. This guitar could last years whether you like to play slow, or shred like a maniac. The strings it comes with are pretty poor, but I guess it depends on what you would prefer to play. I bought some Earnie Ball strings and it's great. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal on mine, and it plays fine, but that's because I use a pedal, and it gives it a nice thrash crunch. I would recommend this guitar for anyone who plays at home and doesn't want to dish out on expensive amplifiers and pedals and such. // 8

iAXE 393 Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 15, 2010

Price paid: € 135

Purchased from: Power-Sound

Features: This guitar is a pretty typical Strat copy. The main function is of course the USB port, but it can be plugged into a regular guitar amp as well. The knobs (5-way + 2 for tone and volume) are a bit jumpy, it's either loud or silent. They also make a weird scratching noise when turned. Lots of included stuff, like picks, instructions, chord diagram, USB cable and software. // 9

Sound: For its amazingly low price, the guitar looks and sounds great. I've used it for various music styles from pop to metal and the included software gives a lot of different sounds & effects to choose from. More than your average guitar combo. Both clean and distorted sounds are excellent when using the USB port, but this guitar doesn't Shine when used with a guitar amp. There is always a lot of noise with both the USB port and amp, which lowers my grade for the sound by 1. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Apart of the noisy knobs, my guitar was well set and did not need any additional tweaking out-of-the-box. The frets are a bit sharp and the neck feels a bit cheap but nothing to complain about, considering the price. Action was set low, I've never needed to adjust the pickups and changing strings is very easy (compared to the FR tremolos in other guitars). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not take this guitar for live playing due to the noise and poor sound quality through a guitar amp. That being said, the guitar feels very solid and durable, I don't see it breaking anytime soon. I think it can take a lot of playing without problems. There are no parts that seem to be coming off or other obvious flaws. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 1-2 years and this was a good guitar to begin with. I would definitely recommend it to beginners, but more experienced players might want to look for something else. If it was stolen, I would buy something else. However, I am still using the software it came with, for my other guitars (Ibanez XPT700RCM, ESP LTD M-50, Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX and my bass Ibanez GSR180-BK). I have the M-Audio Fast Track Pro hooked to my Mac and I plug these guitars and bass to that. This has saved me from buying a lot of amplifiers and pedals and the software really makes any guitar sounding great. The best feature is the USB port and the worst the noise. My reason for selecting it was the price: not just the guitar itself, but the fact that you don't need to buy an amplifier due to the USB port it comes with. Excellent value for low price. // 8

iAXE 393 Reviewed by: adstr123, on october 11, 2010

Features: I do not know when this guitar was made. It is a Standard Strat copy, with 22 normal-sized frets. It has a maple neck and a "solid body" - it does not state what wood, although I have opened it up and it looks fairly crappy, probably basswood. It is finished in brilliant gloss white, and has silver hardware - overall it looks pretty cool. It has a Standard strat-style bridge with a tremolo, and 3 passive, very poor-quality single-coil pickups of unknown brand. The controls include a 5-way selector switch, 1 volume control and 2 tone controls. The tuners are chrome, and of unknown brand. I found them to be poor. Of course, the real selling-point here is the built in USB port. This is a fantastic addition which makes this guitar very convenient for beginners currently without an amp. The concept works very well, however it is fairly complicated to get started and setup your computer. // 7

Sound: I play anything from blues to metal, and this guitar is OK for the central area of that spectrum. It is by no means ecxellent - only good, as a beginner guitar. Obviously compared to a high, or even mid range guitar it is a very poor guitar, but for a beginner guitar it is decent and handles the common styles fairly well. I used it with a Roland Micro Cube, and it handled the cleans fairly well, and the distortions well. However, it is greatly let down by the pickups, which are (as with most beginner guitars), fairly shocking. It is very noisy due to the poor pickups, on distortion only. It has a very bright sound and I struggle to get warm midrange or bass out of it. This guitar can cope with classic/hard rock, but the sustain is bad so won't be able to play legato, which is often used in metal, and the tone is pretty poor which is a central focus for blues. Once again, I stress it IS a decent starter guitar but if we consider it amongst the broad spectrum of the guitar world, I would not recommend it. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well when I got it and didn't really have much to complain about. The pickups were adjusted well, action set well etc. Everything fits well but they have routed out very large cavities inside to allow for more space, but of course this has a n effect on tone and if you hit the guitar you can hear the insides reverberating. The guitar did not contain any flaws, although I did notice that when I opened it up, it was fairly shoddy workmanship inside. But hey, what do you expect from a 100 guitar? // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is fairly durable and has been put together decently; enough so that it would withstand live playing (although no-one in their right mind would use this guitar for serious musicianship - once again, it is a beginner guitar!!!). The strap buttons are solid, input jack solid etc. I can depend on it and it has never really broken on me as such. The finish is good and lasts with playing, although is not very resistant to scratches/knocks, as my Epiphone Explorer is. I'm not sure why this is. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, metal, and anything in in between. This was my first guitar, and is a good beginner guitar at a fantastic price. It handles a multitude of common styles well as a beginner would see them, although it is not good at the extremes e.g. clean funk or crazy distortion metal. I have been playing for two and a half years and I now own an Epiphone Explorer through a Marshall DSL401, and the difference is VERY large. The Epi is ten thousand million times better. I have also tried my friend's beginner guitars, and they seem to be better than this, but they are more expensive. Obviously, the main selling point of this guitar is the built in USB port. It is very convenient and offers people the option of not buying an amplifier and instead using their computer. Also, you can easily record stuff onto your computer very quickly and conveniently. If this guitar did not have this feature I believe it would probably be a flop as the rest of it's features are fairly sub-par. In summary - this is a good beginner guitar. It plays very well for a beginner, but once you get better, maybe after 18 months, you'll REALLY start noticing it's flaws. I would recommend it to a friend who is beginning guitar, as it served me well before I moved on. // 6

iAXE 393 Reviewed by: Trifonas, on october 21, 2011

Price paid: € 180

Purchased from: A store in my town

Features: My guitar was made in Canada in 2004. It has 22 jumbo and maple frets. Its body is also maple and its finish is black. The body style is a typical Stratocaster replica. Also my guitar has got a USB conector and headphones input to play through your computer. It has got a volume control, two tone controls and a 3-way selector (bass - middle - treble). It has three single - coil pickups and when I bought it it had a strap, a cable, and a gig bag (not really good ones). // 6

Sound: Currently, I'm using it with a Fender FM25DSP amplifier and it gives me a quite clear sound. I mostly play Alternative (Radiohead, Smiths etc) but you can use it for Metal and Rock. However its a bit of noisy, but with my amp is good. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It had a lot of flaws when I bought it, especially the dirt in the fretboard and loosed tuning pegs. However it has a very full black metallic colour which is amazing and I've been treating it badly, so it now looks like a relic and it looks great. The pickups were adjusted good, but their quality isn't so nice. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is only for practicing at home and it isn't for concerts. I have it now since 2008 and it has almost been ruined. I only have it for playing when I practice. The strap buttons are very solid, but I wouldn't use it live. The finish is great and as mentioned before it's amazing. // 7

Overall Impression: In the end I don't suggest buying this guitar and if I had lost it I wouldn't buy it again. I also own an acoustic Takamine EG320C and a Fender FM25DSP amplifier. Because I was only 11 when I bought it I only looked for the most good looking guitar, so I choosed this, because I also could put it through my computer. For a practice and beginner guitar is great. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ V-AMP Pro Virtual Amplification 8.5 Guitar Effects 11/10/2014