Assassin Review

manufacturer: BGuitars date: 04/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
BGuitars: Assassin
This is a cheap beginners guitar. It is a decent guitar, not great but playable.
 4.2
 3.3
reviews (3) pictures (8) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Assassin Reviewed by: SlayerFinalSix, on february 20, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Year: I don't know. Where it was made: probably in a sweatshop in Africa. 21 frets. Small frets. Made of the most horrible wood known to mankind. Bare finish. Strat. Butt-nasty tremolo. Super horrible pickups. 3-way selector. You get to select the different ways for your your guitar to sound like sh*t. Non-locking tuners, goes out of tune every time you strum. // 1

Sound: I don't think this guitar serves any music style. It doesn't matter what amps or effects you use, its gonna sound like sh*t. I would say the only sound it can make is that of sh*t coming out of a butt. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks fine.Would be great for a cheap prop. It doesn't matter if you adjust the pickups it sounds the same. The entire guitar is one huge flaw. // 1

Reliability & Durability: If you play this thing on stage, you will be booed off no matter what you do. Hardware is metal. I wouldn't use this thing on a gig period. // 1

Overall Impression: DO NOT BUY THIS CRAPPY GUITAR!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!. // 1

Assassin Reviewed by: Kboth18, on may 13, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is a cheap beginners guitar I bought off of ebay about 6 months ago. It is a decent guitar, not grteat but playable. I would only suggest buying it if you want something cheap to carry around to friends houses etc... It has a 21 fret maple neck with a rosewood fretboard that is just like a Fender Strat. I have no idea about the body material but it can be bought in a variety of finishes. I bought mine with the transparent green finish. The body is modeled after the Stratocaster design with a few exceptions. Firstly the pick guard has a big curving cutaway where it would be on a normal strat. And secondly its input jack is located on the side of the body instead of the top. The bridge is cosmetically the same as a Strat but um sure the quality is a lot crappier. It has 3 single coil pups with no brand name on them. It has 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs as well as a 5 way selector switch. The tuners are cheap but seem to work fine. The package cam with 2 allen wrenches, a gig bag, an extra high e string, an amp cable(CRAP), and a pick(THIN). // 3

Sound: I generally play a lot of heavy thrash metal, specifically Metallica. It works okay if I put enough distortion. It did not come properly intoned so I had to have that done. I am putting it through a Modtone Extreme Metal Pedal and a FAB metal distortion pedal and into a cheap Kona 10 watt amp. If you select any single pup it rtends to hum and buzz a lot, but if you select any 2 it reduces noise noticeably. It works reasonably well for harmonics and pinch harmonics but the sustain is virtually non existent. It generally dies off within 5-10 seconds. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up pretty well, no serious problems except there was no intonation done on it. I don't think the bridge hole was properly routed because the edge of the tremolo block is rubbing the side of the hole. I wouldn't suggest using the tremolo because it promptly goes way out of tune. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I would not suggest this for live playing unless you plan to upgrade everything on this guitar. The hardware is as good as you can expect with an ebay guitar. At the very least it would be a decent backup guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: If this was stolen or lost I would not buy it again I would definitely buy something better with a floyd and 24 frets. // 4

Assassin Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I don't have any idea where this guitar was made, probably some cheap factory in Asia. It comes with a gigbag (which I soon replaced because it had the quality of a trashbag). The guitar features 3 single coil pickups (that don't sound THAT bad at all). I got mine in metallic blue with a white pickguard, rosewood fingerboard and maple neck. I can't tell what's the wood type on the body, but it is LIGHT (I mean a Fender Strat would be reuoally heavy compared to it). The finish is kinda cheap and the guitar already has a few dents (I bought it less then a year ago). The tuners actually stay in tune quite well. The tremolo is kinda bad, not so easy to control like other guitars (it can also be an advantage for those who don't use it often, like me). Overall, what you pay for is what you get, a cheap beginner's guitar (which I'll keep, to modify someday and make it an AWESOME guitar). // 5

Sound: I play all kinds of music - rock n' roll, rock, funk, punk rock, hard rock and even metal, this guitar can pretty much do all of them. The pickups can get a lot of different sounds, and the guitar isn't that bad for it's price. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp on her, and it can go from funky clean and twanky overdrive, to powerful metal distortions. I mostly play either on 2nd position (neck and middle pickup) or 5th position (bridge pickup). It can be quite versatile, but it's still a starter's guitar which I'll replace soon. Still a great backup guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in a great setup, the pickups were adjusted just right and gave a proper sound. The finish on the other hand is kinda cheap and dents are made easily (I've had her for less then a year and it already has more dents then my Ibanez bass, which is more then a year older then her), but it's really comfortable to play, the neck is smooth and has a nice finish, the tremolo is kinda bad but I've already talked about that. The wood is REALLY light and the guitar's easy to pick up, it has almost no weight what-so-ever, the controls are just fine and overall - it's not bad. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played her live yet, but the guitar is kinda fragile, it once fell off a chair on the input jack and I had to fix the wiring inside. Don't try to open her because the wiring is very poorly-made, and you'll find yourself with a soldering iron, trying to fix her up. I would have used her as a backup guitar, but probably not as a main guitar, but in these price rates it's a 50-50 shot, either a great guitar or a bad guitar. It's not that bad but it's kinda annoying to fix her every once in a while (luckily I have tools at home so It's free), but before I opened her up she was playing just fine. // 4

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different music, but mostly hard rock and thrash metal. I've been playing for something about a year and a half and I also own an acoustic guitar and a bass guitar. I could have researched more about her before I bought her, but I'm pretty happy with her for now (I'm planning on getting a Fender Mustang in a few months, and she'll become my backup guitar, but I'll still use her). I don't thing I'd buy another one because it's a starter's guitar and I'm past that level. I like her sound and neck, but I hate to fix her every once in a while, but that's what you get. My favorite feature would have to be the pickups, I just love their sound (you know, for the price). I also don't like the fact that her pickguard doesn't go all the way to the end of the short horn, unlike many strat-like guitars). I wish it had a different pickguard, and maybe a humbucker as a neck pickup. I chose her because I'm left handed, and the lefty guitars start at 300$ here in my country, so it's the only guitar I could afford then and I really wanted to play so I got her. // 6

Comments