Les Paul Review

3.9
review (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I purchased this one stripped down, all electronics gone, mid 70's build. I give it a 10, as for the price, I think this was an Ibanez build, clear finish on a nice maple top, solid aged mahagony body, maple fretboard on a Les Paul body. I added new locking tuners, new bridge, new volume and tone knobs to give the guitar a "newer look." I kept the Vintage parts. // 10

Sound: I picked up two used Gibson pickups that were USA- Made, deployed on Gibson SG and LP's- they sould great, weren't too hard to add. The guitar itself does it's job nicely, great sound, great sustain from the body, the build has held up perfectly for a guitar that is nearly 40 years old. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is low (although it's an odd thing to rate, as you can set this up yourself), I like it, the fit is great, as this was built when they were directly copying the Les Paul body, and the finish is great for an old guitar. It doesn't look like it's ever experienced a hard drop, which is suprising for a 40 year old guitar. The neck is slightly more narrow than new builds at the top of the neck near the headstock. I have big hands, so it's not perfect for me, but would probably be very well liked for a player that doesn't have relatively large hands. // 9

Reliability & Durability: 40 years old, bought with no pick ups, no electronics, when I put everthing in, soldered the electronics, and didn't need to make any neck adjustments, that spoke to the reliability and durability more than anything else. No issues. From what I have read, this was an Ibanez Japanese build, and they created the brand name "Bradley" (sounded more American) when they were trying to market guitars in the USA in the 70's. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I give it a 9, great guitar, but it's probably best in the hands of someone that doesn't have big hands. They would likely appreciate this as a great build and give it a 10 for being in this kind of shape after nearly 40 years. Playing power chords and soloing- I give it a 10, it's a fast maple neck, very easy playing, but with bigger hands and all the open chords I play, the slightly more narrow neck at the headstock leaves it played less than my acoustic. // 9

Comments