IV-400 Review

manufacturer: Brownsville date: 05/15/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Brownsville: IV-400
Brownsville's IV-400 has a flamed maple top and plenty of sustain thanks to the set neck construction and Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru-body design. The lightweight basswood body comes with special design Brownsville humbuckers controlled by 1 tone and 2 volume knobs along with a 3-way toggle switch.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.2
 7.4
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
IV-400 Reviewed by: petrifiedmonkey, on may 15, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Brownsville's IV400 has a flamed maple top and plenty of sustain thanks to the set neck construction and Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru-body design. The lightweight basswood body comes with special design Brownsville humbuckers controlled by 1 tone and 2 volume knobs along with a 3-way toggle Switch. Hard maple is used for the neck and the bound 22-fret, rosewood fingerboard features pearloid wedge inlays. Additional features include brushed nickel hardware, die-cast tuners, matching reverse headstock and mother-of-pearl style pickguard. Tobacco Sunburst finish. The guitars reverse headstock makes the guitar a perfect lefty flip. Case not included. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of different styles of music, and this guitar can suit my musical needs. With no effects you can get a beautiful warm sound that brings to mind folk or acoustic rock. This guitar combined with a distortion pedal such as an Ibanez DS7 can provide a very thick metal sound reminiscent of Megadeth or Metallica. By simply turning the gain up on my Ibanez GPT10 I'm able to get a nice crunchy sound best suited for punk rock or grundge. And switching to the distorted channel provides me with a classic tone that perfectly fits many classic rock sounds, such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Ram Jam, Warrent, etc. By switching to the neck pickup you can get a sound that's very similar to System Of A Down, Tool, Dream Theater, etc. As far as the playing, the guitar is well suited to aggressive playing. The body shape allows you to reach the 22nd fret with no problem. The frets are spaced and sized well enough that you could play a solo just as easy as you could go threw a simple chord progression. The guitar is able to make a variety of sounds from a deep roar, to a warm blast, to a crunchy wail. Overall the guitars sound and playability pleases me very much. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up was very professional. Everything was all set up properly in the factory. The guitar was in perfect condition too, It was pretty much ready to shred out of the box. Everything on the guitar met my standards as far as quality. Everything was properly packadged and assembled. Things like the nut or the bridge are almost perfect. And the tuning pegs hold the tune very well. I wouldn't be surprised if someone spent hours playing the guitar, retuning it, and correcting any errors in the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would never play a gig without a backup guitar, but the guitar is built well enough that unless I do something like jump into a wall or trip on a cable I shouldn't need a backup. The strap buttons are very solid. You couldn't pry them off with a crowbar, but they are a little small for my tastes, so I use a strap that has very tight holes. The heardware seems very to ware. The extra large pick guard is very resistant to scratches and the finish is expertly applied and is designed to last. Overall the guitar is very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is much better than my impressions of it were. No article about it can truly tell you what it plays like unless you play it. But for me, this guitar perfectly fits my requirements. The guitar is a great buy for it's price. It gives you a very versitile sound, and it's a good fit for both beginers and experenced players. The only thing I will most likely change on it are the pickups and the finish. I wish it had a case, but that's about all I feel the guitar could use. I compared this guitar to several others and found this one superior in sound quality and style. I think if something happened to this guitar, unless I finally save up enough for a Les Pauls or an Iceman, I would definitely buy this guitar again. // 9

IV-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2005

Features: This is a 2004 or 2005 Flying V style guitar that was made in china. There are 22 frets on a rosewood fret board, and a rock maple neck that is set in (that's right, it's a set neck) a soilid one-piece basswood body. There is also a very nice triangular pearloid inlays on the fretboard, that reminds me of some Jackson guitars. The basswood body has the normal "w" look to it, but there are some areas that were shaved out, and they bevelled the edges. Very cool. The paint is in a 3-tone sunburst, that is topped of with a pearloid pickguard. The body is a string thru, that means tons-o-sustain. The hardware is brushed aluminum looking, and all the metal (bridge, tuners, ferrules, etc) all seem solid, and appear will do the job for a while. However, the finish is already coming of the bridge after a week (where I rest my palm), but it'll work. Then there two humbuckers, two vol pots, and two tone pots. // 9

Sound: I play rock, blues, metal. the norm for this site. It fits all of them real well. You can an array of tones from the responsive vol and tone pots. I run this trough a wah (either Snaling Dogs or Vox) then to a Korg AX1500G, then usually to my little Marshall 15CDR, and a little Crate BX-15. It is a very quiet guitar, no hum at all. You can pick any of the toggle locations and mess with the vol ane tone knobs and get a plethora of sounds. that all seem to work. Even just straight into an amp clean kicks ass. However, I am going to at least replace the bridge humbucker, once I finish my other giutar projects. I am thinking perhaps, a DiMarzio Super Distortion, or D-Sonic. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar can out of the box set up real well. I removed the strings immediately at home. Cleaned the body and the fret board. I cleaned a massive amount of dust from the fretboard. Do yourself a favor and get some Jim Dunlop Fingerboard Formula 65, and use it, it works. After that a slight intonation adjustments and bridge height, due to fret buzz. It works great now. I brought the bridge pickup closer to the strings and backed the neck pick up off a little. That helps me get a nasty metal crunch in the bridge and a smoother jazzy sound in the neck. Really everyhting about this guitar was great in my opinion, from the tuners on the reverse headstock, to the set kneck and the responsive electronics. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a little light, compared to a Les Paul, but I think it could take a live gig. I would replace the strap buttons to locking ones for extra securiy, but as long as you don't jump around like an excited monkey the standard ones would work. This guitar seems outstanding for being so cheap. // 9

Overall Impression: For just trying to be an all-around player (I'm working on surf and country right now), this V can handle it all. I've been a bedroom rocker for about seven years now, and this compares to the LTD M-100, and late '70s Les Paul I have. I also have others that this is superior to. Here's a tip, usually the guys at sam ash will give you sets of strings if you ask, but you have to be buying a guitar to get that. I would buy this guitar again if it were stolen, but I might buy an SX guitar or an Agile guitar to replace it. They're all in the same price range, and they're all good. I just don't understand the people that are snobs about the name on a headstock. Quality is quality, you can always buy decals to put on a cheaper one, if you're embarrassed. I'm not. I would proudly rock a solo on this bitch in public. This is good option for those who never cared for Epiphones, like me. // 10

More Brownsville reviews rating category latest review
+ "New York" Model-T 6.3 Electric Guitars 12/04/2013