"New York" Model-T Review

manufacturer: Brownsville date: 12/04/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Brownsville:
For post-hardcore and rock, all the way to punk, the sound of this guitar performs with a tweak of my amp's EQ.
 6.3
 6.6
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
"New York" Model-T Reviewed by: NexAtrum, on december 04, 2013

Features: Believe it to have been mid 2000's (around '05 or '06). 22 fret, extremely thin lacquered neck that plays fast and smooth. Rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. Laminated quilt maple top with a mahogany body and neck. Body is a Telecaster. Bridge is Tune-O-Matic with through body strings. Passive pickups with 1 volume, 1 tone knob and a 3 way selector switch. Unknown non locking tuners and H-H pickups, bridge and neck. Planet Waves strap and 1 Live Wire cable. I would have liked to get upgrades to the neck pickup, but that isn't a deal breaker. // 6

Sound: Music style is post-hardcore and rock. Bridge pickup delivers killer distortion, gain, and sustain. Neck is muddy and thick. Split gives great sound for dropped tunings. Amp is a Yamaha THR-10 with occasional Boss DS-1 pedal. Completely silent, even without noise gate. Play on Modern 4x12, 2x12, and British 2x12, with distortion. Treb-10, Mid-7.5, Bass-7. Compressor is Rack, Delay with Room reverb and a gate. I can get a great rock/hardcore/metal sound from the guitar with the right settings, and a smooth classic blues sound. Limited on pure guitar sound, as far as replicating other axes. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought it used from Guitar Center. Setup was nice, only had to make slight adjustments for action sake. Pickups were adjusted accordingly for sound. Well built guitar, no mistakes or issues. No flaws, from finish to hardware, the guitar was right as rain. Only thing was I had to re-glue the nut. Other than that small detail, there hasn't been anything I've had to do, or wanted to change that would affect my overall impression or liking for the guitar. It has surpassed my expectations in all regards. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Guitar feels solid, and I would bring it to gigs, and even fly solo with it, given the right genre of music. Hardware feels like it would deliver even getting tossed around on the road. Strap buttons work like a dream. I can expect it to perform every time I pick it up, and would take it solo. Finish is solid, though the binding almost looks painted on, but it's not anything you can notice from a distance. I've dropped it, and dinged it several times and it's held up nicely. I don't foresee any issue regarding hardware to finish or paint. // 8

Overall Impression: For post-hardcore and rock, all the way to punk, the sound performs with a tweak of my amp's EQ. It's my fourth guitar, since starting. And by far one of my first to turn to. I wish I had asked the sound of the pickups, before buying. I think it would have, at least, led me to upgrading it with my purchase. If I lost it, I would buy another one. I love the sound I can squeeze out of it, I don't like how the binding looks, I bought it because of its Tele body style. I wish it had an upgraded neck pickup, for want of a better sound. // 7

More Brownsville reviews rating category latest review
+ IV-400 8.2 Electric Guitars 05/15/2007