Les Paul Custom Review

manufacturer: Burny date: 03/14/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Burny: Les Paul Custom
It absolutely smokes the two late 70's Gibson LP Customs. It is currently loaded with a Seymour Duncan 'Custom' pickup in the bridge, and a '59 in the neck position.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 7.7
 8.6
 8.1
reviews (3) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: stephen_rettie, on november 06, 2008

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is a second hand Burny Les Paul Custom, the previous owner said he bought it in the early 80s and it has a distinct Vintage charm. It was made in Japan and the build quality is excellent, I don't believe it was made in the legendary fujigen factory as it has a medium tenon and they all seem to have long tenons but it still sounds and plays incredibly. This is a Les Paul through and through, Tobacco Burst, Cream binding, 22 frets, and 2 Burny style PAF humbuckers. There are no weird bits to fend off a lawsuit, this is a perfect copy les paul, but a les paul is pretty bare bones, hence the 7. Good quality stuff, just not a lot of it. // 7

Sound: My style is Hard Rock and Metal mostly, I'll be honest, I'm very influenced by Coheed And Cambria and I wanted something that could do that sort of stuff, and this does! I use a JCM900 and this guitar is great! Just jamming on the clean channel, to singing solos this is a brilliant guitar, I love how full and thick the tone is, like a punch in the face. I do tend to get microphonics when I go a little crazy with the gain but some simple tweaking stops that. I'm considering changing the pickups to Bareknuckle pickups, I am not dissatified with the sound but I want something that is more geared for Metal, I would be happy to play this guitar as it is until it dies (or I die) as it is so versatile, but I think a pickup change would benefit me, maybe not someone else, but me anyway. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is fine due to me tinkering with it, it's second hand so I can't complain about the factory set up. The finish is gorgeous! Such a beautiful guitar, there are pics on my profile. Also must be quite high quality for it to stay in such good shape over the last 20 or so years, no blemishes on the top, a few chunks out of the back but I haven't seriously noticed them and they aren't obvious to anyone unless your studying the guitar, and really, they give it character. The gold hardware has tarnished over the years but works fine still. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like.. well it's well built. 20 years old and still looks and plays amazingly and will No Doubt outlive me, I have played it Live and I didn't even think about how it might fail me. I brought a backup anyway but it sat lonely in the corner all night. The only things that haven't stood the test of time are the strap buttons, recently (like a week ago) one of the strap buttons started coming out, but a monkey with a screwdriver, a little bit of wood and some ingenuity can fix that. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, I wanted a Les Paul for it's beefy tone and that's what I got! Gibsons are overpriced, I have played many in my search to find one I liked but none of them wowed me, I played my old teachers 70s Gibson custom next to mine through a JCM and we both preferred my tone, the neck was nicer and it looked better. I will never buy a Gibson, simply because there are many companies that do their guitars better. I would recommend any guitarist to buy a nice edwards or Burny or greco, you will save money and get a brilliant guitar. I used to play an Ibanes RG but I no longer do, It's my backup now, but I'm tempted to buy another Japanese copy as they are so cheap and yet of such high quality. I want to give this an amazing score to show what a great catch this is however that would not be a good review, there are higher quality models of Burny and Greco and such thus a perfect 10 would be a lie, do not be put off though this is a Live and studio quality guitar, and even if your not on a budget it's well worth twice it's price. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: tajukage-bunshi, on may 20, 2009

Purchased from: YAMAHA

Features: I bought my ebony Burny Les Paul in 2006 but I forgot when it is Manufactured. My LP has 22 Frets with a rosewood neck. It is a solid-top guitar and its design pretty much imitates the Gibson Les Paul. It has a tune-o-matic bridge made of chrome, with a 3-way selector and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. With two open coil humbuckers, it looks and feels pretty much like a Gibson les paul but is slightly heavier. Overall, it is presentable and slightly easier to clean than a regular les paul because of its thin coating. // 7

Sound: The Burny Les Paul produces a tone similar to those you'll find in '70s and '80s punk bands. As I use it to play many highly distorted songs, it suits my playing as it could sustain a distortion while still being clear in its pitch. It sounds best when played with a fuzz or a regular overdrive pedal, keeping its 'grunge' sound intact. But sometimes its humbuckers failed to do its job when they pick up unwanted frequencies. They also do not work well when set to low gain. Although this is the case, pinch harmonics and normal harmonics are easily registered and easy to be produced in this. Overall, its sound is satisfying and best used for rythm guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is perfectly fine on first inspection. But as time passes, I could see its neck slightly bending, this is only lately in 2009 though. Its pickups did not need any adjustments for me to make in order to achieve the sound I wanted and its bridge and top are in position. The finish was a nice pale yellow outlining a black body but if anything, the fretwires are slightly lower than a usual les paul and its volume and tone knobs comes off rather easily. But these are small things and its overall look is great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, although I have never used it Live, is very hardy and could withstand damage to the extremes, but its finish fades as time passes. I accidentally dropped it once from a low height (30 cm+) and its tuning went haywire and constantly goes flat. Only after a lot of waxing and cleaning that the finish returned to its original state.. So unless you are the type Who constantly clean his guitar thoroughly, durability is a con to consider. // 5

Overall Impression: As I play a lot of rythmic punk songs, the guitar fits me best as it allows transition of power chords easily and registers it quite well. I own another Gibson Les Paul Studio and it is much easier to play than the Gibson. It gives playing a whole new crunch to it. It is something I would definitely worry about if lost and I probably buy it again, but I'd skip the horrible plastic pickguard. I love its crunch and thick tone and its flexibility, but it is a hell of an animal to maintain and needs constant cleaning compared to the Gibson, although the frequency of use is the same. I had a choice between this Burny Les Paul or the Fernandes Strat but the les paul is definitely a better choice for me. If anything, I wish it had a lighter body as it's slightly heavier than other les pauls but I can Live with that, especially with this impressive tones. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: rockngoal, on march 14, 2011

Purchased from: Redfish music

Features: This is my Burny RLC 80s Les Paul,Manufactured in China in 2009 It has a 22 fret Set in mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard,delicious pearl inlays, The body is of solid Mahogany[45mm]with a beautifully crafted curved maple top[15mm]mine has a Blach high gloss finish, This high gloss finish compliments the Gold Floyd Rose bridge,and gold plated hardware This guitar incorporates a Fernandes sustainer system pickup in the neck[HDP 200]which actively sustains,or gives a haunting harmonized feedback,at any volume level,with the active circuit off,this pick up has the Slashesque "Sweet child of mine"Chiming,full bodied resonance the Bridge pick up is a Fernandes FVH 2002s,which is ideal for clean,lucid rhythm playing My guitar came with a Fernandes hard case. // 9

Sound: This guitar is very versatile, I play all genres with Hard Rock my favourite, I use the guitar with a Mesa Boogie EXPRESS 5/50, using an MXR MICROAMP for boost, For more progressive vibes I periodically use a Zoom G9.2TT Guitar processing console. The guitar sound punches well above its weight, The sustain systen opens up a plethora of expressive breath catching aural ecstasies, While, as earlier mentioned, in the inactive mode, it bodes Very well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar factory set up was excellent, the Bridge pickup needed to be raised a fraction to accentuate the clean, Rhythm sound. The only Flaw was the neck position guitar strap holder was loose and needed a longer screw to anchor it properly. The workmanship specifications are very high and have exceeded all expectations, The Volume & tone pots are not as responsive as a High end Gibson but are suitable effective. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar a year, and it is played constantly, Live and in the studio, The hardware has not tarnished at all, although I always clean the guitar after playing. At Gigs I use My Fernades Prototype as back up, although I only use this for sweep picking songs, Also ensure you have a new 9 volt battery on hand for the active sustainer, The Body finish is far too good for the price, flawless. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can handle any genre from Jazz to Thrash metal. I have been playing for 30 years, and I bought this guitar by accident. I ordered and paid for a Fernandes Ravelle Elite from Redfish, with a promise of recieving the guitar within a month~After 6 months of waiting, we came to an arrangement of This Burny and a Fernandes Ravelle X. Being Chinese made I was sceptical about The Burny, but I am well impressed with this instrument, A Floyd Rosed Les Paul with a sustainer system, with hard case for 700 is a bargain. // 10

More Burny reviews rating category latest review
+ RLG-55 7.9 Electric Guitars 04/09/2014