RLG-55 Review

7.9
 8.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
RLG-55 Reviewed by: GMoorefan84, on april 09, 2014

Purchased from: RST Music (Newark, UK)

Features: Burny are a subsidiary of the Fernandes guitar company whom specialize in making Gibson replicas. As Fernandes do not have their own factories they are dependent on smaller, independent guitar manufacturing companies. Previously they have been linked with the famous FujiGen plant (Ibanez) in their native Japan and Tokai. Today Burny guitars are made in Japan, Korea and China. The RLG-55 models are Chinese made Les Paul replicas. All feature the "Super Grade" logo on the headstock, which cleverly imitates the "Les Paul" logo on the original Gibson.

This great looking model was built at the Yako plant in Taiwan and is crafted in the image of a classic Gibson Les Paul '57 Goldtop. Features include classic Les Paul shape, mahogany body with maple top, set 22 fret mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and trapezoid inlays. The guitar is equipped with Burny's own FVH-2002 PAF style humbucker pickups, 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, single-ply pickguard and a 3-way toggle switch. Kluson-style tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece. Polyurethane finish and chrome hardware. // 9

Sound: The guitar is equipped with Burny's own FVH-2002 Humbuckers and it does not disappoint, packing the right amount of punch you would expect from a Les Paul-style guitar. This guitar is perfectly suited for rock and metal- plugged straight into my Marshall MG100DFX with the overdrive/distortion turned on I was able to recreate that lovely classic rock sound. By adding an Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer I was able to achieve a convincing, Gary Moore-like sound and accompanied by the Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal, the guitar was more than capable of a decent metal sound.

I play various different genres of music, especially when teaching, but I confess that my guilty pleasure when I get a bit of time to play for myself is classic rock and heavy metal bands like Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard (Steve Clark era only!) etc and blues (Clapton, Green, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Robert Johnson etc) and the guitar suits it perfectly - first thing I played once I got the guitar home was "The Boys Are Back in Town" and it sounded great. The FVH-2002 pickups actually sustain incredibly well as I discovered whilst playing "Parisienne Walkways." My Epiphone required the addition of a compressor/sustainer pedal to keep the long note going, so I am very impressed with the Burny. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar shares a lot in common with the similarly priced Epiphone Les Paul Standard which I had previously owned. Both have the same metallic gold polyurethane finish and very similar construction. Having read a number of very positive reviews online that regularly praised the quality of Burny guitars I became curious which eventually led to the purchase of a Burny RLC-55 (Les Paul Custom model) which I was very impressed with. The Burny RLG-55 model is based on the Les Paul Standard.

The guitar came with a comfortable action and free of any fret buzz. The frets feel well finished allowing for smooth playability and I have not had any issues with choking during string bends. The Kluson-style tuners perform their job admirably and the polyurethane finish looks lovely and feels smooth to the touch. Many other similarly finished guitars, including my old Epiphone, have necks that feel sticky and uncomfortable to play. I personally find that I am able to glide up and down the neck with perfect ease with the Burny. Like the Epiphone goldtop models, the Burny has a dark finish on the reverse. I would much prefer to see the natural mahogany, like on Gibson model goldtops, but that is purely personal taste. I would also like to mention that the gold finish on the Burny is a lot better than on my old Epiphone, which seemed have a "copper-like" hue and looked slightly green under stage lights and it photographs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Reliability plays a huge factor for me as I both teach and perform on a regular basis. The Burny may be lighter in regard to the weight of my Gibson Les Paul Classic/Studios but it is solid in construction and is likely to withstand the rigours of regular use. Any serious guitarist knows that you should always carry a back-up guitar when performing as one can never predict when a string is going to break, however having said that, I feel confident that I could rely on this guitar without the need for a back-up. The build quality is of a very high standard and it easily rivals the similarly priced Epiphone model. I have heard that the top-of-the-range, Japanese made Burnys are good enough to rival a Gibson original! I haven't used the guitar in a performance setting yet but have plans to take it with me the next time a performance opportunity reveals itself. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing the guitar for 20+ years in a variety of styles; classical, rock, jazz, blues, metal and other contemporary formats and have been teaching the instrument for half of that. During that time I have experimented with a large number of different guitars and I have to confess that I was very impressed by the quality of the Burny. I will be honest, the Burny is NOT in the same league as my Gibson Les Pauls, but I never expected it to be! Instead I have based my scores in comparison with my old Epiphone Les Paul Standard '57 Goldtop (that I owned as a teenager) and on the guitar's own merit!

The fact that the Burny is lighter than that of a regular Gibson Les Paul makes it a perfect low-budget guitar for teaching or rehearsals, especially when travelling via motorcycle. If the guitar was either lost or stolen then I would definitely consider looking for another one as I must confess that my two Burnys are quickly becoming a regular feature in my work, accompanying me on the road (teaching/performances with students etc) more frequently than my Gibsons, purely for economic purposes. For someone looking for a Les Paul style guitar on a budget, the Burny would make the perfect alternative to the Epiphone for those wanting a little more individuality. I would also recommend Edwards guitars, another Japanese company making quality Gibson replicas and a subsidiary of ESP, however unless you are willing to pay for one to be imported, Burny guitars are much more accessible in the UK. My overall impression... the Burny is a fantastic instrument and I would highly recommend it! // 9

More Burny reviews rating category latest review
+ RLC-55 8.5 Electric Guitars 04/08/2014