CT6M Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 08/30/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Carvin: CT6M
The Carvin CT6M is an outstanding guitar in every way. The craftsmanship, fit and finish, playability, and sound quality are all first-class. If you are looking to own a beautiful and versatile guitar, personalized to your individual taste at a reasonable price, this guitar will not disappoint.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 9.4
 9.7
reviews (4) pictures (46) 5 comments vote for this gear:
CT6M Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on july 14, 2007

Purchased from: Carvin

Features: Carvin is a custom electric guitar & bass compnay based in San Diego, CA. They offer several different models for customers to pick from, and then, customize with different paint jobs, hardware, electronics etc. etc. The model I chose was one of Carvin's finest, the California Carved Top 6 String Model. The guitar is, obviously, a carved top guitar with a similar body shape to that of a PRS. It is made of Honduras Mahogany, a quilt maple top, a mahogany neck and ebondy fretboard, with 22 frets. The finish is a beautiful Trans Blue, absolutely stunning. There is just about every color option available though. I opted for a string through body model, though Standard trem and OFR trems are available too, and the guitar is nicely paired with locking tuners. Carvin uses there very own passive humbucking pickups, H/H, on this model, and a coil tap is included. PLayers select between the neck and bridge humbucker with a three way Switch. There is 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob. A case is required with the purcase. // 10

Sound: I could go on forever decribing the versatility of this guitar. It really does cover every type of style. The band I play in writes music that covers anything from jazz to hard rock and metal. The clean tones are amazing, and with the coil tap, you can get some really good single coil sounds, perfect for funk, country, ska & reggae, blues. The sound is very warm, a little on the dark side, but very alive; certainly not a dull sounding guitar. Kicking in the overdrive, this guitar can handle anything. I usually use the neck pickup for milky solos that require a lot of clarity and sustain. When I want a real screaming lead, I Switch to the bridge pickup. One of the nicest things, especially for benders, is the pickups have 12 pole pieces, so string bends never cut out. With this guitar, I can nail all the bands I love to listen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, RHCP, RATM, Velvet Revolver, Smashing Pumpkins, Hendrix, it's just a really versatile guitar, and a really great sounding guitar, especially considering the relatively simple set up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Flawless. I pulled this guitar out of its case, and it was ready to rock. I didn't even have to re-tune the guitar, the locking tuners had kept the excellent Elixier strings perfectly in tune, and this guitar was shipped across the USA to pennsylvania. The finish is beautiful, the neck plays really fast. The only thing I have noticed so far is the ring around the input jack has come a little loose, but this was once and only after a good 4 hours of jamming. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it will be one of the last I ever buy. It's truly a quality instrument that you just can't go out and purchase on the shelf. I think I would take a spare guitar with me to a gig regardless of what kind I had, but I certainly have No Doubt that I'll still be playing this guitar 30 years down the road. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles of music, and this guitar satisfies my eclectic tastes better than I could ever dreamed. I have had this guitar long enough to know that no matter what I ever do in the future, my Carvin will always be there beside me. If it were lost or stolen, Carvin has a theft prevention chip installed in the neck of the guitar. I love absolutely everything about this guitar, except for the fact that it took two months for them to build, but I must say, I would wait a year for this guitar! // 10

CT6M Reviewed by: rtcx86, on may 12, 2010

Price paid: $ 1950

Purchased from: Carvin

Features: My CT6 was made in California at Carvin's custom shop in early 2008. The concept was to give it a beach theme. The fretboard is ebony with abalone block inlays. The neck and body are primarily made of mahogany. The back of the neck has a tung oil finish. The face and headstock of the guitar is quilted maple stained blue with a black burst. The CT6 is essentially Carvin's version of a PRS McCarty Custom 22. The bridge is a tune-o-matic. All the hardward is gold-plated. It has passive electronics, with a 3-way selector and a coil-splitter in the tone knob for two humbuckers. One volume, one tone knob. Humbuckers are still the factory pickups which have a bright, almost thin sound to them. Considering changing to Seymour Duncans. (How could this not be a 10 to me? I designed it.) There are Sperzel locking tuners on the head stock, and strap locks on the body. // 10

Sound: My playing lives somewhere between Jack Johnson and Hendrix. The CT6 has no problem covering the whole range of styles and sounds. It does have that "swiss army knife" of guitars kind of thing going on. It sounds great, definitely pro gear. The sound of the electronics is on the bright side. The tone control has a very broad range, you don't have to turn it all the way up to get a good bright sound, or all the way down to get a good thick sound. Anyways, I've done pretty much everything I can think of with it. The sound on this guitar goes where you want it to. From Eric Johnson, to Hendrix, to AC/DC... no problem. I play through a Carvin V3 amplifier, and I used compression, delay, and hall reverb a lot. So a pretty simple effects chain. Just a good rich, broad sound is what I go for. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Carvin is known for making guitars with good action. They guarantee 1/16" or less everywhere on the neck, and they aren't kidding. The custom shop only turns out about 1000 guitars a year and each one takes quite a bit of time to make (mine took 10 weeks). The finish is gorgeous, the inlays rock. It meets my imagination for what I wanted it to be. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definitely a guitar you'll have for life. Very thorough craftsmanship. It would definitely withstand live playing, and I don't think that finish is going anywhere. On a gig, I would have no problem using this guitar without a backup. Every part of it is well thought out, and it just doesn't foul up. It's solid all over. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years, I've had this guitar for about two and a half years now, and it's really the only guitar I need. I have a VG Strat. If it were lost or stolen, there's a good chance I'd get a new one, but I'd seriously consider a Music Man too. I didn't really get to compare it to anything. A friend told me they were better than PRS guitars, half the price, and custom at that, so I gave it a shot. I love the action and the finish on this guitar most of all. And it stays in tune... always. Between the way they make the necks and the locking tuners, even after a lot of heavy playing or if you take it out of the case after a week, it's still just about dead on. The only thing I wish it had is the Fishman Acoustic bridge. That would really complete the "swiss army knife" idea. // 9

CT6M Reviewed by: LordPino, on january 25, 2012

Price paid: € 1580

Purchased from: Dijkmans

Features: It's kind of Carvin's PRS. The store I bought it from is the only store in the country (the Netherlands) that sells Carvins. This one was already done when I bought it, but it's specced exactly the way I would: Super Strat with 22 frets, Rosewood fingerboard, neck and body both from the best mahogany they have at Carvin, along with an exotic AAAA quilted maple top. Sperzel locking tuners, Tune-o-matic bridge, Carvin C22 pickups, H-H configuration, with the tone knob also functioning as a coil tap if you pull it, a volume knob and a 3-way toggleswitch. Came with a matching Carvin hardcase. // 10

Sound: I play it over a Blackheart Handsome Devil 15w tube amp, with a Harley Benton G212 (Celestion V30) at home, getting a new amp soon. The guitar sounds really nice and full. It can do everything from jazz to metal, from classic rock to funk. The guitar has immense sustain, and the pickups are lovely - some people dislike them, but I love them. The guitar has a lot of character; the sound is very warm, but it has enough clarity for high-gain metal. It is obviously based on PRS guitars, but that's not a bad thing - it can do loads of styles and it sounds good in each and every one of them. The only reason I rate it a 9 is that the pickups aren't for everyone. I personally love them because the humbuckers have 22 poles (hence C22), which in my experience leads to infinite sustain and loads of character. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up perfectly when I bought it. Stays in tune all the time, very low action, no fret buzz (even in lower tunings - I play in C# standard or drop B), hands down the best neck I've ever played. I'd say it's somewhat like a PRS or an ESP - not Ibanez thin, but definitely not thick. It's really smooth and still comfortable after hours and hours of playing. No errors or whatsoever. Flawless from the start. Also, the finish is absolutely stunning. It's a very deep, red/black quilt. Looks awesome in the sunlight. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a tank. After half a year of playing hours and hours a day, along with the occasional gig, it's still immaculate. I might still bring two guitars to a gig, but that's just because I like to use different tunings a lot. // 10

Overall Impression: Fell in love the first time I saw it. I've been playing for 5 years now, and I have yet to see a guitar under 3000 beat this one. It can do every style you throw at it, and they paid a lot of attention to details - the letters of the word "CARVIN" in the headstock are plated with 24k gold, the locker tuners work like a charm, the upperfret access is perfect. Carvin has a few things one could dislike though. I've mentioned the pickups before (though the CT6 comes with some of the best sounding pups they make imo). The prices in Europe aren't as good as in the USA, and the overall resale value is horrible, but that makes sense - if you can buy a new custom guitar for just over $1000, then why would you buy a secondhand guitar? // 10

CT6M Reviewed by: blues4jesus, on august 30, 2013

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Its an American made guitar and represents our country well. It has 22 stainless steel frets with Ebony fretboard. The neck is slightly thicker than a '60s neck of a Gibson. The body is Mahogany with Abalone block inlays. The neck is immaculately done. The frets everything is perfect on this neck. It's Tungoiled and has an excellent feel to it much like a Vintage Gibby or as I said to my wife a well broke in pair of levis. Has a beautiful quilted maple top with neck through body and strings through body. Has Sperzel locking tuners brass it looks like and they are wonderful, keeps the guitar in tune. Pickups are Carvins passive C22J & C22B classic humbuckers which btw ignore all the complaints you've heard of the pickups lacking or being sterile sounding. Now I'm a boutique Pickup guy and honestly these pups will most likely stay in their present home. They are lacking on no area. - Master volume, 3-way pickup selector - Push/pull tone control doubles as coil splitter - Finish covers the top wood and back of guitar - Came with a Carvin case which fit the guitar like a glove. The guitar does resemble the PRS in so many ways but is not a clone but is it's own beast and for what your offered and cost honestly Unless for investment purposes I may not look to the PRS camp (sorry I do like the Mcartys but... Carvin!) // 10

Sound: This guitar will suit any style from jazz to hard rock, from blues to gospel, country to metal. I play in church and this is more than suited for what I need. Honestly I would and do play this guitar with no backup and am confident in it doing what's needed and more. I play through our soundboard at church with a solid state amp(uuugghh) but the Carvin sounds excellent. At home I play an Egnator Tweaker 40 through a variety of pedals which are constantly changing. This guitar has no bad sounds. Cut back on the volume and it cleans up even nicer on both pickups without loosing string definition, same with tone turn back and you have Duane Allman but once again string definition and no muddy sounds. Impressed once again. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't brag enough on the setup it was dead on low action with no buzz and feels like a great broke in Vintage guitar. Frets are stainless steel and play amazingly. I have yet to find any flaws on this guitar which I always find something wrong. The nut was cut perfectly with no Custom Shop Gibby kachink you get when tuning using stack strings. The top is easily PRS private stock quality just incredible with matching headstock. Eye Candy definitely. Pickups once again were set perfectly. Great sustain and many sweetspots on that neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Id play this guitar anywhere. Everything is topnotch, electronics, frets, straplocks, tuners. This is a boutique workhorse. The finish though isn't a Nitrocellious finish is glassy and compliments the top incredibly. So I will give it a 9 1/2 for not being nitro, so far extremley reliable. The Hardware is very durable this is my first experience with Sperzle tuners and I love em great tuners. The straplocks are pushbutton type but do what they are required they lock the strap. The weight of this guitar is pefect and its balanced incredibly. // 9

Overall Impression: I play gospel and blues been playing over 33yrs and this is a guitar that will handle that and any style depending on amp pedals and settings. It truly absorbs well whatever setting or pedal you run it through and will handle it well. I would most definatly cry if stolen and would hunt the person down for stealing this guitar. This is my first Carvin and most likely not my last. Their negatives rep wise are misconceptions. No the resale value isn't there, why I don't know because this is by no means a low priced quality guitar. Has as much if not more to offer than PRS and wont need a mortgage if your home to but one especially if buying used which is what I did. Awesome in every way play one you wont regret it. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ VL100 Legacy 5.8 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014