DC200 Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 09/03/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Carvin: DC200
The active DC200 has tonal variations for both rhythm and lead. The 502G active module provides independent "boosting and cutting" of both the trebel and bass frequencies. You'll attain a whole new world of tonal opportunities with the DC200.
 9.9
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
DC200 Reviewed by: Purple Haze123, on june 17, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Custom made in the US. It has 24 mediun/jumbo frets on a koa neck through body. The inlays are abalone blocks throughout the neck. The neck is reinforced with graphite rods and has a dual adjusting truss rod. The body is made of solid koa, and has a transparent finish. It has a Strat style body to it, only a little slimmer. It came with a gold Wilkinson tremelo system. The electronics are active (requires a 9 volt battery), and comes with 3 way selector Switch, volume, teble, bass, tone, phase in/out Switch, and two coil splitters. All the knobs and switches are gold. The stock pickups are active humbuckers. Has gold Sperzel locking tuners. Came with tweed case, gold strap locks, 8 feet of cable, tool set with poutch, whammy bar, and original oder form for the guitar being made (originally $1350 USD). // 10

Sound: Where do I begin? It suits basically any style of music that needs an electric guitar. Flip a phase Switch, and play some metal. Flip it off, and you can play some '50s rock 'n' roll. I'm using it currently with a no name 15 watt amp and a Fender mini amp combined. I sometimes also use my off brand expression pedal. The guitar makes no noises/pops whatsoever, no matter what setting. The sound is as rich and bright as any high end custom guitar. It makes Les Pauls jealous. With the active electronics, and so many controls, I basically can make any sound I can imagine. The variety is almost infinate. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me perfectly. The action on this baby is like butter. The pickups needed no adjustment whatsoever, and if I needed to, would be very simple thanks to the setup of the pickups. The guitar itself looks like someone hollowed out a koa tree with the shape of my guitar. It is all one solid piece of koa. The bridge came in perfect working order, and it still works as well as it did when I got it. Because it was a used guitar, the bottom frets are a little bit dirty. There is also a itty bitty chip at the top of the headstock. The finish is still flawless; no scratches any anything like that. It just need a little cleaning and it now looks like new. A truly beautiful guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand a tank driving over it. It's about as solid as you can get a guitar. The hardware looks as though it's going to stay on the guitar it's whole life. The strap locks are a god send, and I recommend any player to get them. There's no dought I could depend on this guitar even if my life depended on it. I would bring my backup guitar, only because I love showing both off to the crowd and other players. The finish is probably going to last as long as I own it, and I'm planning on having this guitar for my lifetime. // 10

Overall Impression: When I was first looking at a new guitar, I really wanted a Gibson SG. They have a pretty good sound, but are expensive (especially for left handers like me). So I did alot of research for finding the perfect guitar for me. Carvin seem the best because of there extremely high quality, tons of custom features, and, above all, a bargain. I play basically any style of music, but prefferably classic rock. Most of my other stuff is noname junk, like my 15 watt amp and expression pedal. I have absolutely no regrets on buying this guitar. If it were stolen, I would have no hesitation of killing who ever stole it. I love everything about this guitar. Even the itty bitty chip on the headstock. I have to say my favorite feature is owning it! Carvin is one of those unsung guitar companies that most definately deserves a spot right by Fender, Gibson, and PRS; if not, ahead of them. It makes Fenders sound like cheap Squiers, and makes Gibsons sound like a noname copy. It is that good! The only thing I wish it had was a flamed koa body and headstock. This guitar is easily going to be the one that I'll be playing if I get somewhere in music. If you are looking for a guitar that has outstanding quality, but isn't as such a bust in the bank, Carvin is the way to go. // 10

DC200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2007

Features: I ordered the DC200C (C means it has a Floyd Rose tremelo) about 11 years ago. Carvin is based in California and they make guitars per how you want them, completely custom. The DC200 is a neck-through guitar. The different types of body finishes and woods to select from is mind-boggling. 11 years ago, the guitar only came with active electronics, but now it has a bypass feature to play passive. When using the active electronics, I'd say it has too many features: 3-way pickup switch, master vol, bass, treb, phase, coil taps and a fade. Sperzel tuners are standard, the best tuners ever. If you don't know how they work do some research. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a really warm sound. I've been in blues and jazz bands. The active electronics produced a great deal of bass, so I usually have it cut. I prefer to have the amp control the EQ. The guitar is now mostly used for a metal band. I have converted so many people Who were die hard Fender, Gibson, PRS, Ibanez players. The reaction is always the same when they play it for the first time. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Barnone, the best guitars ever made are Carvin guitars. I've been playing a long time and I've played everything. Get the guitar set to your playing style and you'll never play anything else. The action of the guitar is what really sells the Carvin. They have a patent called "Rapid Play Neck" (or something along those lines). It's just incredible. Not to mention the amazing craftsmanship. They are perfect. Check out some of the laminated wood options, it's insane. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Again, I've had the guitar for 11 years. Had it set a few times as my style changed, but nothing major. It gets played everyday and has been on the road. Still plays flawlessly. // 10

Overall Impression: What else could I say about this guitar that I haven't said. Other than I've purchased another guitar from Carvin. The DC127M Tune-O-Matic bridge with fewer passive features. To me less is more these days. // 10

DC200 Reviewed by: Zep_shizzle, on september 03, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: The Carvin DC200 that I received was made in 1984 or 1985 not too sure but it is pretty old. And already I must say for a old guitar it is still amazing. The dude I got it from said he hadn't played it in a couple years and hadn't even taken it out of the case and it was still in perfect tune. It has a a 24 fret ebony neck. This thing shreds. I'm not 100% sure but I think it is a maple body.either way it is beautiful. it's pretty heavy but when you pick a string you can feel the vibration through the whole guitar. And the sustain is forever on this thing. It has passive pickups that I believe are Carvin m22's. You have 4 knobs that control the tone and volume levels and you have the active electronics which let you really play with your tone and sound. It has a kahler tremolo that is really simple to use.you just pop in the string and that's it, no need to cut the end's of the strings like Floyd Rose. It also has a locking nut but not at the nut. it's behind the nut. But still hold the strings in tune great. // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing. With this Carvin you can get any sound. I mostly play thrash, neo-classical, classical, jazz, blues, and some rock and it can play all of them perfectly. I'm running through a Peavey bandit 112 with transtube and this thing shines. You will get no feedback of this thing. The pickups are great too but if you want to mess around and throw some pickups it will be even easier to customize your sound. The harmonics on it sound great and pinch harmonics are easy to get. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar used and it is 25+ years and this thing is still in great condition.the pickups were adjust well and sounded great. everything on the guitar is perfect. the action was low and you could easily shred on this guitar.Carvin is high quality stuff so nothing is bad on this guitar. the tuning was held for years in a case.Carvin is high quality so its not surprising that this guitar is still great being 25+ years old. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Thig guitar will stand through many gigs. I would gig with it without backup anytime. On the road this baby would last. Just don't go around throwing it like a ball or something. The strap buttons are solid as a rock, they have lasted 25 years and still as solid as the day the guitar was made. The finish its self will last a long time also. but you know every 100 years or so you might have to re-finish it. Haha. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is hands down one of the best guitars anybody could ever own. If this guitar I were stolen I would definitely buy another one but unfortunately I could definitely not afford it. I love everything about it and you will too. I highly recommend it for anybody. It wont let you down. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ DC800 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014