DC200T Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 04/01/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Carvin: DC200T
The guitar is actually a DC200T - the T stands for "tremolo". It looks beautiful. I love everything about it but if I must chose one thing then it would be that you can wrench the tremolo arm around and when you release it, the guitar is still in tune.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.9
 8.1
reviews (2) pictures (13) 18 comments vote for this gear:
DC200T Reviewed by: Adam Andeveit, on december 20, 2011

Purchased from: US Forces PBX, Frankfurt

Features: Made in the US in 1995. 24 frets. Solid maple with through neck and ebony finger board. Natural tang oil wood finish. Stratish style body. Active twin humbucker pick ups, Locking Sperzel tuners, Floyd Rose tremolo: the guitar is actually a DC200T - the T stands for "tremolo". Selectors: knobs for master volume, tone for both pick ups and balance between pick ups; switches for selecting bridge or neck pick ups and for selecting single or double coil and in/out of phase between bridge or neck. Came with a Tweed custom made hard case. // 10

Sound: I play soft and hard blues, rock and pop for which this guitar is ideal. That said the versatility of pick up configurations is so extensive I can set it to be as thin as a bridge pick up on a Strat to the full, fat sound of a Les Paul. I've played it through a wide range of valve and solid state amps and a plethora of effects and there are no extraneous noises whatsoever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Made in the US and shipped to Germany, it arrived in tune with a perfect set up and in flawless condition (I hope someone from Gibson reads this review: compare with my review of my Gibson ES335). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar at live gigs for the past 16 years. It let me down once when the battery went flat. It won't play at all with a flat battery fitted; however, remove the flat battery and you can carry on playing without the active electronics. You lose the full versatility of the selection switches but still have volume and tone controls and pick up selector. I now carry a spare battery with my spare set of strings, plectrums, etc! I fitted strap locks. As it is natural wood there won't be a problem with the finish. One criticism, I have had to resolder the wires to the battery container twice. Hence the 9 instead of 10. // 9

Overall Impression: My other electric guitars are a Gibson ES335 dot neck reissue and a Vintage Strat copy. I've played Strats, Teles, Les Paul's, GSs, ESPs, PRSs, Yamahas, etc and my Carvin beats them all hands down. This was my first electric guitar. In the store I was torn between an Epiphone Les Paul, a US made Tele and/or a Mexican Strat and then I laid eyes on a display model Carvin and found it could be made to sound like all the others only better. It looks beautiful. I love everything about it but if I must chose one thing then it would be that you can wrench the tremolo arm around and when you release it, the guitar is still in tune. Hate: very expensive to buy in the UK, and because Carvin make the guitars to order, it took months to arrive. // 10

DC200T Reviewed by: DpiGuitar, on april 01, 2015

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: 04/1993 USA, 24 fret, all Koa neck thru matching top, Tung oil neck, Transparent clear coat, Abalone and mother of pearl block inlays, bony fretboard, gold locking Sperzel hardware, Carvin Active humbuckers, Wilkinson tremolo, 2 coil switches and 1 phase switch, 3 way, 2 volume, 2 tone, Hard Carvin case. This guitar can do it all. Between the two humbuckers, the phase switch, the 2 coil switches, the 3 way switch, the 2 tone knobs and the 2 volumes it has too many combinations to actually calculate! It; s insane, buy it. It will make you think twice about every other guitar you've ever bought or played. // 10

Sound: Suits any style, very versatile,  Carvin Legacy 2 and 2x12 cabinet. Use Many and no effects, very warm full bodied on neck switch to very thin twangy on bride with phase off etc. Just about any sound you can think of this will make flawlessly. This guitar can do it all. Between the two humbuckers, the phase switch, the 2 coil switches, the 3 way switch, the 2 tone knobs and the 2 volumes it has too many combinations to actually calculate! It; s insane, buy it. It will make you think twice about every other guitar you've ever bought or played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I bought this second hand it it does need to be set up. But even with out a set up it plays sounds and feels amazing. Very impressive quality and construction. The Koa does make a huge difference in the sound. This guitar is very warm sounding almost like a semi hollow body because of the natural characteristics of the Koa. The action is great low and fast and still slide-able. I use DR Titefit 10's on all my electrics last longer sound better hands down. I can't wait to get this professionally set up. I would normally do it, but this ones worth the extra attention. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can do it all. Between the two humbuckers, the phase switch, the 2 coil switches, the 3 way switch, the 2 tone knobs and the 2 volumes it has too many combinations to actually calculate! It; s insane, buy it. It will make you think twice about every other guitar you've ever bought or played. What is value? This is. USA made. I love this guitar and was so impressed wit it's quality that I bought the Legacy 2 Carvin Head and 2x12 bottom and sold my beloved Marshall I had for over 15 years. P.S. the amps are just as good as the guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything. 20+ years. I own a lot, see pics. If something happened to it I WOULD WITHOUT QUESTION BUY ANOTHER. I love everything about it. The wood is beautiful and would cost me a lot to make my own. The feel is great love the tung oil neck wouldn't have it any other way. Wilkinson tremolo is the way to go for sure. I've had enough of Floyd Rose's no thanks. The sound quality is my favorite feature very crisp and clean and extremely versatile which is what I was looking for when I bought it. I can bring this instead of 2 or 3 other guitars. I've compared this to Parkers, Gibsons, Fenders, RickenbackersESP, SchectersMartins, Godin, Dean, Yamaha, KramerIbanez. I was very impressed and the price was excellent. Wish it had the piezo pickup, may add it later... would rarely use anyway. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ V3M 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 08/10/2015