DC727 Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 03/29/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Carvin: DC727
The transition to the DC727 seven string is easy since you are adding a low B to the existing six strings. The 24-fret fingerboard has a 25 1/2" scale length for great bottom end. The C26 seven string humbuckers are custom wound to give the DC727 its fat powerful tone.
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
DC727 Reviewed by: nudsh, on march 29, 2006

Features: I just recieved my Carvin DC727 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! I have an older custom ESP M-II that I thought no other guitar could compare to, but the Carvin has really impressed me. I got a 727 with: - Stainless frets - Ebony fretboard - Figured claro walnut top - Matching headstock - Floyd rose trem - 5 piece maple neck - Locking tuners - Gloss finish on the body and tung oil neck - Some other stuff I'm sure I forgot. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds great. The sound is a little "thinner" than my ESP, but that is probably due to the body wood and neck. I run flat wound .56 - .11 on the guitar that gets the tone back from twangland. A lot of people complained about the pickups on other forums, but I can't say I agree. These pickups aren't as "hot" as EVO 7's or other high tourque winds, but I think they sound great. I have no problem tweaking, sqealing, and dive bombing Satriani squawks at will. This guitar is not as hot overall as my ESP, but it is not a "shred" guitar like the M-II. Although, I can get Yngwie riffs going at full speed once warmed up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Superb! Simply fantastic quality. I put my own tweak on it and am going to take to my Luthier in a few weeks for a tune up (yes, settling does occure on a new guitar). Overall, I was speechless when I opened the case for the first time. I would buy another Carvin in a minute. The fit, finish, and quality is even better than I have seen on far more expensive instruments. I would have given $2500 for this guitar and not complained based on the overall quality. This guitar still makes me drool and I own the damn thing! All my guitar buddies are gaga over it and are planning a Carvin order themselves soon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my main axe now. This thing is built like a sherman tank. I could gig from here to dixie with this guitar and never worry about a thing. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a progressive rock and metal player. I play alot of Dream Theater, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Martone, Stump type of music. I've also been playing for over 25 years and have a picky taste in my guitars and tone. I would replace this guitar in 5 minutes with another one just like it if it were ever stolen. Just like others have said once you get a Carvin, you are a lifelong fan, well, it's true. I can't wait to get some $$ together for another Carvin custom down the road. I use a Carvin V3 head into two custom made (I built them) 2X12 greenback cabinets for gigging and use a GT-8 processor for outboard effects. For studio, I go GT-8 direct or head line out into a Tascam FW1082 into Cubase. I use FL Studio 5 and an outboard MIDI controller/keyboard (Alesis Photon). This guitar sounds great all the way around and has options and features to boot. I love the coil splitters, tone variances for days. This guitar is worth far beyond the pricetag! I highly recommend Carvin and their DC727. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ DC800 9.5 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014