Charvette Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 01/10/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: Charvette
It's perfect for anyone who wants something versatile enough to scream heavy metal leads and then quickly change to softer sounds.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 8.3
 9.2
 9.2
 9.1
reviews (3) pictures (4) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Charvette Reviewed by: mustangrobert13, on january 22, 2007

Features: No clue when it was made, sometime in the '80s or early '90s probably. 24 frets. I don't know what it's made of, but it is has a rosewood fingerboard with white dot inlays. It's a Strat style like most Charvels. It has a Floyd Rose tremolo with a locking nut, never goes out of tune. It has a volume control, Tone control, and a 3 way selector, and some little Switch thingy but I don't know what that does. It has a Humbucker and a single coil. I don't know what the tuners are but they're locking I'm pretty sure. Only bad thing is that the 3 way selector doesn't change between the second and third, it's the same sound. // 9

Sound: It suits my style grat, which is Classic Rock (AC/DC, Journey Boston, Guns N' Roses, etc.) I use a Hughes And Kettner 60R and a Boss DS-1. It sounds great and I don't have to use the Boss to get the great sound, either. It makes a hum when you're not playing it, and I don't think it's the amp. It pretty much does distorted and clean, and you can adjust bass or treble with the tone knob. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The color is awesome. It's yellow with black stripes, and it looks great. The action is great! Oickups are good, even though they're aftermarket. No flaws except for the 3-way selector, which is because someone messed with it I think. I just can't get over how awesome this guitar is! Although I do want a Les Paul. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would not play it Live because occasionaly the guitar will make a loud cracking sound when you touch the cord. But then agasin, most guitars do so I guess I would play it Live. The strap buttons are awesome, I've never had a strap fall off while playing. The finish does not wear at all, it's 20 years old and has no scratches. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock, and it matches my style perfect. I've been playing 2 years almost, and my only other guitar is a Squier Strat, and it's crap. When I bought it I was completely satisfied. If it were stolen or lost, I would get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, because they're just so awesome. I love the color and the Rock sound. I hate the Clean tone you sometimes get when you flip the 3-way. I compared it to a Jackson King V, and I ended up getting the Charvette. I do wish it had another Humbucker instead of a single coil, though. // 10

Charvette Reviewed by: Redd_dymond, on january 10, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 1990 in Japan. It has a reverse head stock, a bolt on maple neck, rosewood fret board with 22 frets, a Vintage Tremolo bridge, a H-S-S Charvel pickup layout, six strings and a violently Orange finish. The body is alder as far as I can tell. Overall it has a good set of features, although not all that you would expect in a superstrat (e.g. no floating trem). // 7

Sound: Anyone who has read any of my articles will know I am a massive hair metal fan, and it doesn't need saying that a 21 year old, Orange Charvel superstrat suits my music style perfectly. The pickups are surprisingly good, with a much fuller, crisper sound than pickups found in most low/mid range superstrats of today. I used to own an Ibanez RG3 something or other, and it really was no better than the Charvette as far as sound (or indeed, anything) was concerned. I usually play through a Roland Cube 60watt amp, and I can get a good metal tone out of it, not a massively brutal one (because that sounds crap anyway), but a nice, full tone that sounds pretty awesome when turned up loud. It also handles clean tones well, with loads of nice sustain and clarity etc. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Even though I bought the guitar second hand, I was surprised at how well it had been set up, only one string was half a step out of standard tuning. The action is ever so slightly higher than I like, but not to the extent that it is unplayable. The guitar was in excellent condition, barely a scratch visible. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't have any real idea about this guitar's past, but it's survived 21 years and seems virtually as good as new. This leads me to believe it's had a somewhat easy life, probably not being thrown about or being physically abused on stage. Now I own it, and that means this will probably change once my new band gets practicing in a few weeks time. I have given this an 8, because although I don't know much about it's past, it has still managed to get through 21 years and all the inevitable transportation and occassional knocks that all guitars receive, and yet looks as if it was made yesterday. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a perfect hair metal guitar, being a bright Orange superstrat. In all honesty, I bought the guitar for its looks alone, so the fact that it plays well and sounds really good is a massive bonus. It will have a big stage presence - there can be no hiding behind such a violently Orange guitar. I have a reasonably largish collection of guitars, including 4 superstrats, and this is definitely one of my favourites - no way is it going to be moving on any time soon. If you have the oppurtunity to buy one of these things for under 200, do so, because it is easily as good as anything worth 300- 400 and above. The only thing I would change would be the action - I would lower it a tiny amount to make it as playable as my absolute favourite guitar. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would certainly consider buying another were it available. It's a very good guitar indeed. // 9

Charvette Reviewed by: False_God, on may 15, 2006

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: This guitar was made in America in the early 90's. It has 22 medium frets, rosewood fretboard with flamed maple back, laminated black top, I'm not too sure on the wood, but I think it's mahogany. It's a Strat body featuring a STD bridge with passive electronics, 5-way switch with 1 volume and 1 tone, 3 high output single coils for a heavier sound, the tuners are non-locking and it came with a gig bag. // 9

Sound: Well I play anything from blues to Hardcore metal and it sound like a gibson hollow body but looks like a Jackson, match made in hell. Well I run it through a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 112 and it creates a nice warm blues tone and a ripping metal tone, Their is some output which is common on nearly every guitar so I'm not complaining, The wood gives the sound that extra bass but at the same time producing a bright sound! Its style can vairy for anything really. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well this guitar is older than me and still seems new, Since it was made in America by what is now Jackson, it was built to last and take a beaten. The action is quite low but it's clear and is beautiful to play. The pickup selector has become loose just like the jacksons of today, but it is easily fixed so it's not a problem! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built to last! The hardware looks new still and the strap button hasn't been loose in the last 10 years (go Jackson). I could fully depend on this guitar for gigs but since its me a string would probley snap after the first song. This guitar has fallen a fair few times but theirs still only 1-2 chips of pait, also their were hundreads of stickers which were removed latley and not a mark left! // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is match made in hell (which is good), I've been playing nearly 2 years and I have played a lot of guitars but this one ranks the best! If stolen I would buy a shot gun and shoot the basterd while he's been electricuted by a 500,000 volt wire! There's not much to hate with this guitar, it's a beautifully well crafted guitar! The only guitar that I'd compare this with is a original 1960's Relic Tele and that's a very high standard! Overall great guitar! // 10

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014