Desolation DC-2 ST Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 02/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: Desolation DC-2 ST
The active pickups on this guitar allow for a very clear clean tone, and a very thick and heavy tone for metal. This is without a doubt a professional quality guitar, and is now my favorite guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.7
 7.9
 9.4
reviews (2) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Desolation DC-2 ST Reviewed by: Qallen94, on april 04, 2013

Purchased from: SAm Gibbs Music

Features: This guitar is a 2012 model so it is pretty new to the Charvel line of guitars. It's a Chinese made guitar, but do not let that fool you. This guitar has 24 frets, with great looking trapezoidal inlays. Rosewood fingerboard on my model, six string, and a set bridge. I believe this guitars scale length to be 25.5 featuring 224 jumbo frets. This is a solid top maple guitar with a three piece maple neck. The flame top/ or quilted maple top, it just beautiful with the super glossy aquamarine finish wrapped around it. Th guitar features a fixed bridge, and a double cut away body shape. A PRS but with more of a Schecter Sinister gates custom shape at the bottom. It features dual Charvel active humbuckers, with a three way switch and a tone and volume control. I really wish that this guitar had the push pull features for double to single coil effects. Locking machine head tuners crown the glossy black three and three style head stock of this guitar. I bought this guitar at a music shop as it was with no gig bag or accessories, but it is originally priced at $550 and I payed $475. This is without a doubt a professional quality guitar, and is now my favorite guitar. // 10

Sound: The active pickups on this guitar allow for a very clear clean tone, and a very thick and heavy tone for metal. I play hard rock, metal, hardcore, punk, and things such as this so it suits me greatly. The only thing that I had to do to this guitar in order to play it the way I like was to put really heavy gauge strings on it. A play mostly in Drop B#, Drop B, Drop A#, and Drop A tunings, therefore need heavier strings to get the job done. This guitar is also great for classical and clean tones as well. I am currently using a Marshall MG50FX amplifier. The only real effects I use on this amp and guitar is a flanger and sometime echo. The sound that comes out of this guitar is so rich and fat toned, its really a great guitar. This guitar can make and sound from a thick heavy palm muted breakdown, to high sustaining solos, to warm piercing pinch harmonics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the factory this guitar was set up very well. I did not have to make any adjustments to the guitar at all except for putting heavier strings on it to accommodate to my low tuning. The pickups were just right, and sound amazing, but then again they are active pickups, and you can't go wrong with active pickups. Everything was in great condition, from the book matched top to the routed fixed bridge. There were no flaws that I could find on the guitar when I got it. The only thing that bothered me a little was that the battery for the active pickups was not secured down by a clip or bracket. In all other guitar that I have had with active pickups, the battery was secured. The compound radius neck makes for a great plating experience. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would without a doubt be great for playing live. It is very comfortable, and durable. The hardware on this guitar is all top notch hardware, that will most definitely last. This guitar features screw on strap buttons, but they are very secure. With the type of music I play they have been put to the ultimate test and survived so there is nothing to worry about there. I can most certainly depend on this guitar to do what it needs to do with no issues what so ever. I could definitely say that I would play this guitar at a gig with no backup. The finish on this guitar will definitely last for a great while. I do not see it fading ever, and the paint job is very durable and scratch resistant. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavier styles of music. Metal, Hardcore, Punk, and so on. This guitar is so versatile, you can play and style of music you want on it. The guitar really sounds good in lower tunings, such as Drop A# (my personal favorite). I have only been playing for about 5 years, and only had about five or six guitar, but this one is the best thus far. I wish that this guitar had coil taps, that is my only issue. If somebody were to steal this guitar from me, I would without a doubt buy it again. I did a lot of comparison shopping before I bought this guitar. I compared it with Ibanez, Epiphone, and Jackson guitars, even consider newer Axl models. I was at one time looking at getting a 7 or 8 string guitar but decided to keep it simple for now. Charvel, Jackson, and Fender are from the same manufacturer I believe, and all have similar qualities. I would say the Charvel is to Jackson, as Epiphone is to Gibson. Video from YouTube:

// 10

Desolation DC-2 ST Reviewed by: Narsh, on february 05, 2014

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's Music

Features: The guitar is a 2013 model, made in China. Overall the features are very nice. 3 way switch, volume, tone, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, locking tuners and a very slick thin neck.

Specs:
- Body: Mahogany
- Neck: Rosewood
- Number of Frets: 24
- Fret Size: Jumbo
- Position Inlays: Abalone "Keystone"
- Fretboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Finish: Oiled
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Color: (586) Blue Smear
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge Pickup: Active Desolation Humbucking
- Neck Pickup: Active Desolation Humbucking
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Hardware: Black Nickel
- Bridge: Charvel-Jackson Compound Radius Compensated
- String Nut: Plastic // 7

Sound: The guitar is advertised for metal and I have been playing metal for about 20 years. I feel that although you can play decent rhythm and lead parts it is not your traditional metal axe. It is better suited for rock or a style where all out gain is not required. Lead playing on the high frets is a bit of a chore. Bending at the 22nd fret is a little awkward and reaching the 24th fret is not easy due to the cut on the body or lack thereof.  The main detriment is the set of Charvel Active Pickups. The pickups are very very bland sounding. For the price I paid I am not complaining but for a guitar retailing at $400-500 I expect a little more. Clean tones sound weak which is surprising because when looking at the guitar it gave the impression that it would sound very full - more towards a Les Paul sound. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar shines. It is absolutely gorgeous. The fit, finish, paint, style etc. is impeccable. I commend Charvel for the design and craftsmanship of this instrument. Just a shame they didn't dedicate the same attention to the sound of it. How well was the guitar set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) The guitar came setup perfectly. No string noise, low action, intonation was spot on. Neck was straight etc.

+ How well were the pickups adjusted? Pickups sound horrid no matter how you adjust them.

+ Properly bookmatched top? Properly routed bridge? The bridge, top and overall craftsmanship are top notch.

+ Did the guitar contain any flaws? The guitar did not contain any visible flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems reliable but being that it feels so light and tiny I worry a bit about it. Not to mention, it is such a good looking guitar that I wouldn't want to risk dinging it.

+ Will this guitar withstand live playing? I believe it would.

+ Does the hardware seem like it will last? The hardware seems very high quality and will probably last just fine.

+ Are the strap buttons solid? Strap buttons are solid and the guitar is very light and comfortable to play for long periods of time.

+ Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Never play without a backup.

+ Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? The fit and finish are absolutely perfect and seem to be of very high quality. // 7

Overall Impression: I have seen pretty positive reviews on the guitar, and while I think it's a decent guitar, I will respectfully state my discontent. It's a looker for sure, but overall, I wouldn't be choosing this guitar for metal. Any similarly priced LTD, Ibanez, Schecter would be better suited. For the price I paid for it, I have decided to go ahead and sell it. I am pretty sure I can recuperate the funds and probably make a little bit of money in the process. If it were stolen I would definitely not replace it with another. An easy fix to the sound of the instrument would be to gut the electronics and replace them with a passive setup. But that would probably cost more than what I paid for the guitar. // 5

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DS-1 ST 8 Electric Guitars 11/13/2014