Desolation DS-1 FR Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 10/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: Desolation DS-1 FR
Overall for my style of music this guitar fits perfectly its a metal players dream for the price. I can say I have a love for this machine of metal.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 7.9
 8.5
 7.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Desolation DS-1 FR Reviewed by: DubbyG, on february 03, 2012

Purchased from: Earl Teat

Features: Mine was made in 2011 in China, It has 24 jumbo frets and a 25.5 scale. The fret board is rosewood and the neck is made of an unfinished maple I believe. The body is mahogany and I have the flat black satin version model. The body style is a Les Paul and comes with a real floyd rose double locking tremolo. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Blackouts. And there are two tone knobs and two volume knobs. It also has grover tuners that are not locking. It does not come with a case or gig bag. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style of playing perfectly I mainly play Metal but everything in between as well. I play it thru a Mesa Triple Rec with a Mesa cab. It sounds awesome once dialed in with the blackouts. The mids really Shine thru with this guitar cuts right thru the mix. It has a very balanced sound just remember to replace the battery because it makes a difference with the active pickups. This guitar was built for metal in my opinion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fairly well from the factory not quite sure what gauge strings it came with but it was down tuned very low when I tried it out. I wound up putting 10-52 Elixirs on it and setting it up for drop B. It sounds great with this setup the floyd wasn't to bad to setup either. The action was very low which I like personally. And their was and is no buzz. Not sure if I just got lucky because it was the only one in the store. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have practiced with my band using this guitar for a few months now I have had no issues besides the battery dying but this is to be expected with the active pickups. The guitar seems to stay intune once you get the floyd set. And I really like the unfinished neck due to the fact I sweat when I play it keeps the neck from getting gummed up. The strap buttons it came with are actually really nice but I put Locking Dunlops on all my guitars so I replaced them. The finish seems pretty good it hasn't scratched or anything like that yet. I'm giving it an 8 because I haven't battle tested it yet in a live show but it seems worthy. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall for my style of music this guitar fits perfectly its a metal players dream for the price. The neck is really fast so you can shred for sure the upper access of the neck is good not great it could have been cut a little better but Its really not that bad for the price it blows many other guitars out of the water. I can say I have a love for this machine of metal. If I were to compare this to anything it would be an ESP EC-1000 its pretty much the same guitar for a way better price plus a floyd rose. If something happened to this guitar I would by another. I own a lot of nice guitars from Gibson to PRS and everything in between and a lot of nice amps Mesa, Peavey you name it. This guitar is worth a try if you're a metal player it will be right up your ally. // 8

Desolation DS-1 FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2012

Purchased from: La Voz

Features: Please check the specs on the Charvel page for full detail. It is worth noting though the Floyd Rose, composite neck and active Seymour Duncan's Blackouts. // 9

Sound: It covers a very wide range. I like the crispy clean sound in all three pick up positions. Excellent for heavy metal or overdrive styles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I love the actions which is very low with no fret buzz. I change to new strings and re-adjusted the FR and it continues to deliver pure tone. I got the matte finish and I love the mean-looking feeling emanating from this baby. The actions is great, low enough for long hours our playing or jamming. Contrary to what a lot of people says in many forums, the Floyd Rose on this guitar is VERY stable. I couldn't easily make it go out of tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is now my main guitar and it endures long rehearsal hours like a charm. // 9

Overall Impression: Great value for the money. Don't get mistaken by the price or just because it's made in China. This is a high quality instrument, with great sound and perfect as your first Precision guitar. As is, right off the rack on the store, it has perfect intonation. // 9

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014