Desolation DX-1 FR Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 11/06/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: Desolation DX-1 FR
This is a quality crafted instrument and upholds the famous quality of the 80s Charvels. This guitar sustains ridiculously well and has a very fat tone. I am confident this guitar can play any type of music.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Desolation DX-1 FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2012

Features: I believe this guitar was made in 2011-2012. It was made in China, but DO NOT let that fool you. This is a quality crafted instrument and upholds the famous quality of the 80s Charvels. I have played $1000+ guitars that do not play as nice as this one. It has 24 frets on a Strat body, which satisfy my needs. The model I have is the transparent blue smear with a flame maple top over a mahogany body. Its one of the most eye catching guitars ever in my opinion and it has beautiful abalam binding all the way around including the headstock. It features an unfinished maple neck which allows for maximum neck speed and will never get sticky like enamel necks. It comes with a floyd rose bridge and I am quite impressed as it actually stays in tune after heavy pull ups and dive bombs. The EMG active 85/81 pickups are very quiet and powerful, and can offer a wide range of tone if you know what you are doing. There is no tone knob but I just use the volume and can get great tones. // 9

Sound: I play thrash metal and it is very capable of fulfilling those needs. This is a true shredder and should be used for heavy music. You will not be disappointed with this guitar in terms of distortion. The cleans were very good too, but you have to turn the volume knob down a lot to get true cleans as this guitar is equipped with active pickups. That being said, there is zero hum on this guitar. This guitar sustains ridiculously well and has a very fat tone. I am confident this guitar can play any type of music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was simply outstanding. No guitar I have ever purchased has come with a better set up. The strings were very low and there was absolutely no buzzing. The unfinished neck is simply a must for shredders as there is nothing faster than an unfinished neck. The only thing I would call a "flaw" would be at the base of the neck. The paint is not lay as flat on the neck and it is raised. This is purely cosmetic and I would not let something so small effect my love for this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I have said before this is a very well crafted instrument and I am confident it would withstand stage use. I would feel very safe without a back up using this guitar. I am very careful with my guitars and have not "tested" the durability of the finish, at the moment it does not have a single scratch. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an amazing sounding, beautiful guitar and I have yet to encounter anyone who has had anything negative to say about the guitar besides it having the active pick ups. Personally I would've put some combination of Duncan JB pick ups on it but that's just personal preference and I am more than satisfied with the overall guitar. I have been playing for 4 years and consider myself an above average player. Overall this is an amazing guitar in almost every way for the price and if it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. // 10

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014