Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST Review

8.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2011

Purchased from: GuitarShop

Features: Made in 2011 in China I believe. - 24 jumbo frets on a compound radius fingerboard. - Laminated top with a really cool flame finish. - Mahogany neck-thru, you get a really crunchy tone, very metal. - It has the same shape as a Fender Jaguar. - Charvel/Jackson bridge and stopbar, custom made to fit the compound radius neck. - EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 85 in the neck. - 3 way selector and a volume knob, I think is much better, a simple guitar, really easy to use, very versatile. - EMG'S 81/85 - Charvel high quality tuners, very good ones. - Just a cable. I was a bit disappointed by this, I expected at least a manual or something, but no, I've got a cable. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, hard rock etc and it sounds just amazing, I was shocked when I heard the guitar for the first time, I played Jacksons, Gibsons and for this price I would prefer it in place of any other guitar in this price range, I am using it with a Orange Crush Pix 20LX, no noise at all, it's completely quiet. It's a very versatile guitar, If you put on a good tremolo like I did you will see that will stay in tune forever and the effects are just great, on overdrive it sounds really good, that specific metal tone like slayer or death. Very good sound, I am amazed by this relatively cheap guitar, it can do things that other guitar 500 $ more expensive can't. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When it arrived was in tune, very good set-up. The pickups are pretty good adjusted, but I saw better adjustment at other guitars. The guitar has a real flame top finish, not a veneer, I am really satisfied by the way it looks. The guitar came in 2 boxes, really well protected, with a really good setup, for this price I am really amazed by this guitar, I would use it on stage anytime. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I played on stage a few times with this guitar, no problems at all. Yes, the hardware is really good quality. Yes, the straps buttons are fitted with really long and thick screws, so I think the are solid. The finish is pretty nice, but it gets scratched pretty easy, so is better to keep it in a gig bag. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, I play metal and hard rock, it sound great, it looked great, in this price range I think it has almost no competitors. I am playing for 1 year and I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom Blackbeauty, a Orange Crush Pix 20LDX, a Fender Frontman 15 G and now this amazing Charvel, I have it in trans red and it looks really cool, I'm really satisfied with this guitar. If would be stolen, I would go to buy another one. I love the sound of it, the looked and the hardware quality, I don't like a single thing, it gets scratched pretty easily. I would compare it to a B.C. Rich Assassin which is more expensive and you get less for the price. Overall I really like this guitar, if you have 700-800 $ to spare on a guitar buy it, you will not regret it, I promise. // 9

Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST Reviewed by: Stupidtoolbag70, on june 18, 2013

Features: I got this August 2012. Not sure when it was made but it was made in china. 24 fret neck with a 12"-16" compound radius. It has an oiled mahogany neck. Solid mahogany body with a flame maple laminate top. I got it in a trans red. It is shaped like a Jaguar but a lot thicker but not to heavy. This guitar is incredibly balanced. Have never had the neck dive down when I let go. Tune o matic bridge. Active EMG 81/85. One volume knob and a 3 way pick up selector. Locking no name Charvel tuners. Came with no accessories. // 9

Sound: I play core so this guitar suits me very well. This was made for hard rock and heavy metal. It definitely gets the job done when it comes to getting a distorted crunch tone. I play it through a Peavey Vypyr 75 and it makes quite the match. It nails down heaviness. When I play clean I send it through my acoustic B200 MKII bass amp for a nice chime. Even though I play it through a bass amp for cleans there is still a high amount of treble due to the EMG 81 and lack of tone knob. This is a very versatile guitar by was undoubtedly made for metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very good but I lowered it for personal preference. It came with no blemishes and was sounded great with factory strings. They were D'Addario 9-42. I put Ernie Ball cobalt skinny top heavy bottom and they haven't failed me yet. Everything was routed properly and the neck finish was unbelievable for a $600 guitar. All the hard ware was in great condition and the only problem I had was a nearly unnoticeable little dip where the neck and body meet. You can't feel while playing but it's just something that could have been fixed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing and it continuously withstands my abuse. The hardware and knobs seem like they will last me years to come. When I got it I put strap locks on it and haven't had a single problem with it. I can depend on it no matter what and would gig using it with no back up if I had to. It's built to last. Charvel took care of the reliability with this one. No problems. Just a gorgeous guitar with heavy tones. The finish hasn't worn off but will chip if you abuse it. It takes a lot to scratch or crack the top laminate. My biggest problem is the sides. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal core and death core and this guitar matches it perfectly. I've been playing nearly 4 years and it is my favorite piece of gear. I also have a B.C. Rich Mockingbird Masterpiece, a Peavey Vypyr 75, a Fender Black Top Precision Bass, and an Acoustic B200 watt bass amp. My only problem is the lack of tone knob but that's only needed for cleans. If it were lost and stolen I would buy another as soon as possible. I love the pick ups and all mahogany body. I hate how easily the sides scratch and chip. The next guitar I'm getting is a Charvel Desolation DS1 Pro Stock. They have the same exact neck. // 9

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014