San Dimas Standard Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 12/22/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: San Dimas Standard
It's no mistake that when Charvel guitars hit the scene a few years ago, all the top players had one in their hands. Charvel has brought back the original vibe and feel in the new USA Standard series.
 7.3
 5.6
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
San Dimas Standard Reviewed by: CharvelDude94, on december 22, 2008

Features: I think that the year my Charvel was made is 2002, but I bought it in November 2007. It's made in the USA and considering the price I paid for it that's pretty damn good in my opinion. It features a bolt-on maple neck and maple fretboard with 22 normal sized frets, and a Jackson style headstock. It has a Strat-style alder body (flat top) and the guitar is finished in gloss black. The bridge is a Standard Strat-style trem in gold which doesn't stay in tune well but it sounds great. It also features passive Seymour Duncan humbuckers (I don't know the specific models) and it features one simple volume knob and a 3-way pickup Switch. It has schaller non-locking tuners, but they stay in tune pretty well. // 9

Sound: The guitar sounds amazing and it definitely suits metal which is my main music genre to play guitar with, but it is very versatile as well and on a clean setting it sounds great as well. I play through a Line 6 Spider III head and 4X12 cabinet, and through that set-up it sounds awesome. The pickups are very crunchy which is great for metal rhythm playing, but on a lead setting it also sounds great. Overall a brilliant and versatile sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the guitar it was set up very well and considering that I've now had it for over a year, I have only had to alter the action on the low E string a tiny bit. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and have not had to be altered at all since I've had it. The only minor flaws with the guitar is that there was a tiny paint chip near the neck joint and the toggle Switch was quite loose. The volume control is smooth, but it does occasionally crackle sometimes, and so does the pickup selector switch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a very reliable guitar and nothing has yet gone wrong with it at all. The hardware is still in great condition and no rust has appeared or developed. The finish is still great and it has survived a number of gigs without a single thing going wrong. The strap buttons are still solid and overall the guitar is durable and very reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: So the guitar overall is very versatile and has a great sound, and it is a great guitar especially for a metalhead. I have been playing for 3 years now and I also own an Ibanez SA series guitar which is nothing in comparison to the Charvel. When I went to my local guitar shop I intended to buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose and EMG's, but instead I left the store with the Charvel because it sounded great with the Seymour Duncan's, and the neck is very fast and comfortable. If the guitar was lost or stolen I would definitely go and get another one because it really is a great guitar. The only thing that I wish the guitar could have is a Floyd Rose, but the sound and neck of the guitar make the guitar a dream to play and own. // 9

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DS-1 ST 8 Electric Guitars 11/13/2014