San Dimas Style 2 Review

reviews (2) pictures (5) 34 comments vote for this gear:
San Dimas Style 2 Reviewed by: 2848_RAD, on august 24, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1799

Purchased from: Custom Music Wagga Wagga

Features: The features on this guitar are great. All the features are perfect for my needs. Very simple but very effective. - Made in USA 2009 - 22 Frets, Jumbo Frets and a 12"-16" Compound radius - Bolt-On Neck - Alder Body, Maple Quartersawn Neck - Tele Style body - Polar White Finish (the 5th production batch) - Original Floyd Rose - One Volume pot and 3 way toggle Switch - Neck Pickup; Seymour Duncan 59' Bridge Pickup; Seymour Duncan JB Model - Floyd Rose locking Nut - Grover Mini Rotomatic tuners - Comes with a Gig Bag // 10

Sound: I play mostly hard rock stlyes from the 70s and 80s, and this guitar being most famous during the 80s era, it fits in perfectly to my style. It can play a lot of the 80 metal style from Van Halen to Judas Priest to Motley Crue, it is perfect for that style of music as its built primarly to play that stlye. I'm using a solid state Crate FW65U (not that great of an amp but it does the job)through a Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz pedal. The sound I get from it is just great. Fits into my stlye very well. The guitar can go from Hi Gain Distortion to very nice smooth cleans very easily. The 59' in the bridge produces a very rich and full sound for the cleans and the JB model in the bridge has a nice bright sound which sounds great with overdrive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is great. Its very nice to play, very smooth neck with a great action making it very nice and smooth to play. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, everything was perfect. The Floyd Rose is adjust very nicely, very easy to pull on, and stays tune no matter how long I have been pulling on the bar. I do have a very small issue with the position of the toggle switch which is quite hard to get to especially since I change pickups quite alot through out songs. Other than that it is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet played with it Live but it looks like it will withstand any live performance, the hardware is solid very tough and seems it would last a life time. The strap buttons are a pair of Dunlop Straplok, they are very tough and solid. I would gig with this guitar anyday, even without any backups. With this guitar there are no needs for any backups as its very solid and also it can make any sounds you want it to. // 10

Overall Impression: For Hard Rock and heavy metal it's great. I have owned a Ibanez GAX30 as my beginner guitar and moving on straight on to the San Dimas is just mindblowing. After playing the GAX30 for so long them moving on to the San Dimas it just felt so much better. This guitar is perfect for me. If this guitar was stolen from me I would look for the person Who stole it and if I find him he would be lucky to live. The greatest feature about this guitar is the neck. It features a compound radius which I just love. Its so smooth allowing it very comfortable to move up and down the neck while I'm shredding away. The first time I played it, it was mine. I just fell in love with it straight away, didn't need to try out anything else. The only thing which I wish it had different is the position of the toggle switch. It is very hard to get to. If it were a bit clser it would have been better. // 10

San Dimas Style 2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash, Cherry Hill, NJ

Features: 2009 production model, Made in USA 22 frets, Quarter sawn Maple, oiled finish, jumbo frets Multi-piece Ash body in Candy Majenta Tele style body, no comfort cuts Original Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo Seymour Duncan JB bridge and '59 neck Three-way switch, one volume knob Pickups are HH Mini grover tuners with a FR nut Gig Bag // 7

Sound: Play mostly classic rock music and this guitar fits the bill great. I use a modified Peavey Classic 30 witha Marshall 1936 cabinet loaded with Avatar Hellatone 60 speakers. Excellent bottom with guitar, but a tone control would be nice. Not especially suited to stoner rock and metal due to the straight up in-your-face Nature of the Charvel guitar set-up. I do not use the neck pick-up, in fact it is set low because aggressive playing throws the high-E under the pick-up. Could be used for other styles of music if there was a tone control. This is pretty much a Rock'n'Roll guitar suited for a nice 80's Marshall JCM or Boogie. Played this through a Fender Hot Rod at Sam Ash, not a great match. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Here is where I will give the guitar a high score. Fit and finish were close to flawless (and that is off a rack). The bridge is great, however, FR is not for everyone. The neck had a broken in feel from day one. Tuners work great. Some set-up will be involved, not everyone plays the same. I took my Charvel to DS Guitar in Newark, DE. Dave Sumner worked his magic and the guitar is fantastic with a floating bridge. I had to replace the three way Switch after about 4 months of playing, no biggie. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged the guitar regularly with no issues, except for string breakage stemming from aggressive playing. Guitar stays in tune day after day with only some minor tweaking to center the fine tuners every now and again. I play Standard tuning and can't give an honest assessment about drop tunings. I always have a back-up guitar but only play it when I want to. I've had to oil the FR pivots and thats about it. Your finish wearing off is a sign of play time and love. If you're wearing off the finish, you're doing something RIGHT! lol // 7

Overall Impression: If the guitar were stolen, I would definitely try to find another (harder with a discontinued model). The San Dimas Style 2 is great for me, I like Tele bodies. This guitar isn't a one trick pony, but if you just play through an amp and have no modeling effects, you may be dissapointed. // 8

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation Skatecaster SK3-ST 7.5 Electric Guitars 09/30/2014