Spectrum Review

manufacturer: Charvel date: 11/16/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Charvel: Spectrum
The guitar is a super-strat, made by Charvel in Japan in -89. It has a reversed Jackson headstock with a "toothpaste" Charvel logo.
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Spectrum Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2010

Features: The guitar is a super-strat, made by Charvel in Japan in -89. Could be -90 or -91 aswell, but i'm fairly sure it's 89 based on the low serial-number. It has a reversed Jackson headstock with a "toothpaste" Charvel logo. - Poplar body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard - 22 Jumbo frets with dotted inlays - Desert Crackle finish and a P-bass inspired pickguard. - LFR Jackson JT590 tremolo (made in Germany by Schaller) - Active electronics with 3 single-coil EMG. - Volume knob, tone knob and a Switch for the Mid-boost (JE-1200). - Locking Jackson-tuners. Tremolo, nut and tuners are in chrome. Everything feels sturdy and solid. The LFR is old as hell but survived a brutal beating for about 20 minutes without even pitching out one little bit (then my patience ran out). The finish is quite rare. Overall the guitar is in really good quality, the frets were redone before I got it. The only - I can give is that I wished it was a humbucker in the bridge position, but the mid-boost covers it up quite good. Still sounds brutal. // 9

Sound: This is one big piece of metal machine. The EMG's say metal, especially with the mid-boost on and lots of gain and dist. The attack of the sound is awesome, better than most humbucker-guitars I've heard. But it can aswell do cleans and crunchy tones too. It's actually perfect for everything. I can play anything from Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah to AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Children of Bodom. It does everything. I use it through a Line 6 POD X3 live. Sounds awesome. The guitar is really quiet. The sound without the midboost is typical bright single-coil sound. I love the pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was setup and intonated, not tuned though. But the action is Killer low for 9-42's in E. I'm gonna put on some 11-52's and do D-tuning on it. Some fretbuzz, but not hearable through amp (even on clean). The frets were filed, overall good condition. Regular scratching on the guitar, but nothing serious. Actually, looks new. Not bad for a 20-year old guitar. The input-jack was broken when I bought it, but the guy in the shop changed it (no extra cost) to a Swtichcraft input. The electronics are well soldered and sits in position really tight. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has already withstood live-playing for atleast 7 years (according to shop-owner). The hardware will survive for quite a while longer, not a single problem on it. Strap buttons are solid, no need of a "straplock" or anything. I would dare to do a gig without a back-up guitar. This guitar is really, really solid and durable. The finish doesn't seem to wear off, still looks fresh after 20 years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and sometimes blues/crunchy stuff. The guitar does it all, perfect. Nothing "it could be blah, blah", it's solid and perfect for my style. I have a Jackson RR3 Limited edition, also a good guitar but I can't compare them since it's diffrent pup's and so. I really like them both. If someone even thought of stealing this guitar, well... Nobody's gonna be that stupid and take that chance :). I would track down another one if it was... // 10

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014