Culprit Review

review (1) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Culprit Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1500

Purchased from: High Street Music Penrith NSW

Features: This guitar was Made in Melbourne Australia its year is unknown but the serial number is 000095, the 95th built by the company. The guitar is 21 frets, with a Canadian rock maple neck, and a solid ash body, with a rose wood finger board. The finish is a clear red top with a satin neck.(follow link to see finish) the body style is a tele body with a Strat neck. The bridge is a wilkinson tele style bridge. The electronics are Vintage tele style passive electronics and the pickups are unknown (probably Cole Clark factory). The tuners are grover deluxe non locking tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar has an amazing sound and has a piano like sound and is suitable for hard blues, jazz, or soft rock, its an all round guitar and has an amazing sound. The guitar is being used with a Fender Frontman 15R amp for homw recording and a Fender supersonic cabinet with a Vintage tube unit. the guitar has a full, rich piano like sound with the neck pickup with a twangy Strat like sound with the bridge pickup, both sound completely amazing. This guitar can make most sounds but sounds shit with high amounts of gain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the action is perfect with no fret buzz. The guitar was perfectly finished to the point where the sides of the frets were individually shaped into a rectangular shape with a slightly rounded top. The pickups were adjusted perfectly but the neck pickup leans slightly towards the neck. But other wise the finish is perfect to the point that the grain on the neck has been perfeclty set so that where the neck spreads out for the Strat dogleg the grain follows this like a fan. There was absolutey no defects with the guitar. The only complaint I have is that the guitar shop put a sticker containing the price on the pickguard and it left sticky residue on the guard and it was difficult to remove. Also the guitar shop peeled the protective plastic off the guard while it was still on display. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so good that is would withstand at least 100 world tours. Every thing is all set-up perfectly and I would trust this guitar with my life. The hard wear will last for at least 30 years and that's just the minimum or if I get sick of its appearance and want something else. because the tele style bodies have a single cut away, the strap pins are extremely solid. They could probably support 100 kilos of weight, and they have an additional flair at the very edge of the tip of the pin for additional support. This guitar is so reliable that no backup would ever be needed ever. The guitar is so stable that I could even trust the fact that it would never go out of tune. The finish as also just as reliable as the rest of the guitar. I accidentally hit it against the door of my room and the paint did not even chip, or get damaged, just a little tiny smudge that was able to buff out with guitar polish. The finish is neither too thick or too thin, its perfect like the rest of the guitar and would probably never need to be refinished, unless this guitar gets into the hands of an abusive user. Or does the whole world tour thing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard blues, jazz, and Hendrix (come on it should be a genre). This guitar is a perfect match. This guitar has a clean crisp sound while at the same time having the full rich tonal sound of a Steinway piano. I have been playing for three years as an amateur who goes to jam sessions for social interactions with other musicians. I just play for the love of music and sound. I have 2x custom shop stratocasters, a custom made Strat (that can be seen on me youtube account please refer to previous link) a copy of the Spanish stradivarius, and a factory violin. If this guitar was stolen, I would hunt it down and find out who stole (I live in a small town so this is possible), and if I lost it I would get Cole Clark to make me up a guitar identical to this one, I am also working on a replica in order to preserve this one. I love everything about this guitar but hate the fact that it has a very low serial # and there fore is a collectors item and because it is a one off I am scared to use it and I find this disturbing. I love the fact that the amount of love and care that went into making this guitar perfect is reflected through its floor less finish, and the fact that this guitar is mine and I love the fact I had the opportunity to buy this (that's another story)my favourable feature is the fawning of the grain on the neck. This guitar is the best guitar I have ever played and beat the 54 RI tele I played at river music in Sydney. This is the best guitar I have ever seen and I think it would be a long time before I get another opportunity to play another just like it. // 10

More Cole Clark reviews rating category latest review